Home Forums Hunting General Hunting Elk Down

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Given all of the issues I had earlier in the season my luck changed on Sunday. Its really nice to have time to actual hunt now that I’m retired. I hunted elk for 9 days either part of whole. I saw elk approximately half the trips and turned down some cows, spikes and a really odd looking bull. I messed up a stalk on a really big bull and turned down a smaller bull waiting for the big bull. Sunday I didn’t go hunting until the afternoon and I took my ATV. Didn’t get more than a mile from the pickup when I saw the herd of elk high on a mountain side working their way along a fence. I left my ATV at the bottom of the mountain and started walking. It was about a 2 mile hike up a step trail. I kept to the side of the hill so they elk wouldn’t see me as I hiked. At one point I couldn’t see them and thought they had busted me. Turns out they actually had already gotten below me and I almost didn’t see them. I stopped and shed my pack and started scooting on my rear through the sagebrush to get a better position to shoot from. At first all I saw were cows, a spike and a little 4 point bull. I could hear a bull bugling but couldn’t see him. Finally I scooted forward enough I could see him about 300 yards out. My range finder battery was dead so I made a guess of range and got set up. I could see that the left side of the bull was broken off half way up. I had seen a better bull in the herd but I couldn’t find him. So I waited nearly an hour for the other bull to show up. The first bull laid down and continued to bugle about every 10 minutes. After an hour of waiting and sunlight fading away I decided it was time to take the bull I could see so I wasn’t field dressing and elk in the dark in grizzly country. The bull stood and walked about 10 steps when I shot him. First shot smacked him hard but he still walked ahead a few steps. I shot him again and down he went. The first shot would have killed him but my philosophy is to shoot until they are down on elk. Then the work started I was able to quarter him and take the back straps and tenderloins. I carried the quarters about 100 yards from the gut pile and left them for the night. It was pitch black hiking out to the ATV. I didn’t try to go back and get the meat until the next morning. I didn’t sleep most of the night and really expected a grizzly to be on the bull the next morning. Luckily even the coyotes had left the bull alone and I was able to pack out the meat. Today I cut up the bull. It feels good to chalk up another bull. Im 63 and it getting tougher to get up and down the hills every year. But I want to hunt elk and still enjoy it. May have to give up the solo hunting my wife is not happy when I go by myself. I have pictures but it won’t let me put one on.

Whip

Participant

Congrats, great story.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

x2, great story whip!!!  Success is all the sweeter when it takes some work.  I bet those back straps taste awesome!  😉

cowboycowboy
    Participant

Awesome story, thanks for sharing.  Hope you can get the pics up, would love to see them!

bluedirtbluedirt
    Participant

Thanks for sharing & Congrats on the bull. Us flat landers are looking forward to pheasant opener this Sat.

PCIPCI
    Participant

Thanks for the story.

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

Enjoyed the hunt story and congratulations on the Bull.   Continue to do it while you physically can.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

WhipWhip
    Participant

Ok here goes hopefully the pic will come up.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Whip

Participant

Very nice Whip and a great story !

Participant

Congrats on the bull!

WhipWhip
    Participant

I going to try another picture since the site is fixed to see if it works.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by WhipWhip.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Whip

Participant

Whip, congrats on your bull. Thanks for sharing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.