Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Early Muzzie ’15 dates?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Trying to figure it out for work in advance:

Early Muzzleloader in 2015 would probably be October 10-18th right?

iceking25
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I would agree 10- 18 th

live4fall
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Can only guess at this point, but I’ll bet those will be the dates.

A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user- Teddy Roosevelt

Puma
    Participant
    Up
    Down

It has always open two weeks before pheasant season and pheasant season is always the last Saturday in October. This would put it opening on Oct. 17th and closing on the 25th. I could be wrong this year it may open the 10th.

Bung
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Next year will be my first “early muzzy” season.

From what I gather- tags sell out pretty quick right?

beniah1066
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Bung

They sell out fairly quick.

The large chunk sell out in about a day, then there is typically a remainder that lasts a little longer. 2013 it was Aug 28 and 2014 they were gone on Aug 29.

However, if there was ever an influx of hunters, they would sell out all in one or two days since there are only about 1k left on Aug 16th.

medicdano
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: beniah1066

Quote by: Bung

They sell out fairly quick.

The large chunk sell out in about a day, then there is typically a remainder that lasts a little longer. 2013 it was Aug 28 and 2014 they were gone on Aug 29.

However, if there was ever an influx of hunters, they would sell out all in one or two days since there are only about 1k left on Aug 16th.

Since they changed the regs to “If you hunt EM you can’t shotgun hunt”, the tags usually last 10-14 days.

berettadouble
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Puma

It has always open two weeks before pheasant season and pheasant season is always the last Saturday in October. This would put it opening on Oct. 17th and closing on the 25th. I could be wrong this year it may open the 10th.

Thats the math I’m using also. Keep in mind DNR could do anything last minute. 🙄

bigbuckhunter88
    Participant
    Up
    Down

As far as I can remember it always starts the weekend after youth season closes and youth season always overlaps one weekend with bow hunters so I would venture it is the second full weekend in October.

medicdano
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: bigbuckhunter88

As far as I can remember it always starts the weekend after youth season closes and youth season always overlaps one weekend with bow hunters so I would venture it is the second full weekend in October.

Yes. It has always started the 2nd Saturday in October.

Puma
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: medicdano

This statement is not 100 percent true. Case in point, 2004, The season started Oct.16th and ended on the 24th. The 16th was the 3rd Saturday of the month. 2 weeks latter pheasant season started. I went back through my hunting journal and found this. I don’t always hunt the EM season.I pick and choose the year. The next year that I hunted the EM was 2009. Again the season started on the 3rd Saturday which was Oct.17th and ended the 25th. Again pheasant season started on Oct. 31st, 2 weeks latter. Then in 2010 EM started on Oct 16th and ended the 24th. The 16th was the 3rd Saturday of the month and 2 weeks before pheasant seaon on Oct. 30th.

I also found 2 old reg books from 2012 and 2013. in 2012 the EM started on Oct 13th and ended the 21st. Pheasant season started on Oct. 27th, 2 weeks latter. In 2013 Em was Oct. 12th to the 20th with pheasant season opening on Oct. 26th. 2 weeks latter. I’ll stand by my quote from before that EM starts 2 weeks before pheasant season starts. In 2015 EM will start on Oct. 17th and end on the 25th. Some years it will be the 2nd Saturday and other years the 3rd Saturday.

medicdano
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I didn’t know about those years, but I was out of state then. So why would all the other seasons be set on a certain day of the month except EM which is based off another season?

1luckyguy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Puma

Quote by: medicdano

This statement is not 100 percent true. Case in point, 2004, The season started Oct.16th and ended on the 24th. The 16th was the 3rd Saturday of the month. 2 weeks latter pheasant season started. I went back through my hunting journal and found this. I don’t always hunt the EM season.I pick and choose the year. The next year that I hunted the EM was 2009. Again the season started on the 3rd Saturday which was Oct.17th and ended the 25th. Again pheasant season started on Oct. 31st, 2 weeks latter. Then in 2010 EM started on Oct 16th and ended the 24th. The 16th was the 3rd Saturday of the month and 2 weeks before pheasant seaon on Oct. 30th.

I also found 2 old reg books from 2012 and 2013. in 2012 the EM started on Oct 13th and ended the 21st. Pheasant season started on Oct. 27th, 2 weeks latter. In 2013 Em was Oct. 12th to the 20th with pheasant season opening on Oct. 26th. 2 weeks latter. I’ll stand by my quote from before that EM starts 2 weeks before pheasant season starts. In 2015 EM will start on Oct. 17th and end on the 25th. Some years it will be the 2nd Saturday and other years the 3rd Saturday.

Great info Puma! I thought it was always on the second Saturday of October, but you have the info to back it up. If it is Oct 17-25th I might just buy a tag next fall…thats getting close to the rut

twdenney
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Nice PUMA!!!!! Go job on record keeping also it makes for great memories and something for future generations to admire!!!

Puma
    Participant
    Up
    Down

DNR posted the dates for all 2015 hunting seasons. Yes the early muzzleloader season is Oct. 17th – Oct. 25th. 2 weeks before pheasant season starts. Just like I said it would start.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/home/ctl/detail/mid/2822/itemid/2859

IaCraig
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Puma, you beat me to it…..
    http://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/DeerHunting.aspx

Google is a wonderful thing. 🙂 This has been posted for quite a while, because I scheduled my time off work at least 3 weeks ago, and it was there then.

Be Safe!

NWBuck
    Participant
    Up
    Down

This is the latest that EM can ever be, unless they change something in the future.

NWBuck

Blackwidow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

What date will they go on sale? 🙄

flyfishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Really you don’t know…………………………………. 😯

Blackwidow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If I did, I wouldn’t have asked. 😐

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.