Home Forums Hunting Reloading Dust from the tumbler media.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

How do you all get the dust off after tumbling? I’ve thought about a ultra sonic cleaner but have read mixed reviews on them. A red flag was a few people commented that the cases will start to corrode if you don’t dry them some way. I use corn cob media and get a green film on the cases after the tumbler. I’m not sure if that reside is bad for the rifle. I use Hornady “One Shot” for case lube and that gets most of it off I think. Maybe I need to put new media in. Anyway, I’d appreciate your thoughts and am wondering about your results with the the liquid cleaners after tumbling.

Participant

In the past I have tumbled first, wiped and lubed before depriming, and then run them through an ultrasonic cleaner in order to do a final clean. I have read that the dust can be detrimental to your reloading dies, so the last batch I lubed the cases, deprimed, tumbled, and then used the ultrasonic cleaner. I have never heard of issues with the cases corroding after using the ultrasonic cleaner, but that certainly is possible. I make sure to rinse the cases really well under water after using the ultrasonic cleaner as otherwise it tends to have some residue on the surface which could potentially lead to corrosion.

I think I like the second order better although it does lead to some media getting stuck in the flash hole and I have to pick it out. I think it was more of a pain to wipe down each individual case using the first order of steps than it was to pick out the media from a couple of cases. The advantage for the second order is that the case lube gets tumbled off and then the dust from the tumbler gets washed off in the degreaser and the cases come out looking shiny and new! As for drying the cases, one time I didn’t dry them enough and the moisture in the primer pocket caused about half of my primers to go bad. What I have been doing is setting them upright in one of those bullet trays and allowing it to dry overnight. If I am in a hurry I might bring out a blow-dryer and blow them dry first upright and then flip em over and do the other side.

Participant

To get the dust out of the media I will take some used dryer sheets and cut them into 2x2in squares and throw them in the tumbler when running some shells through it. Then do that a couple times. I also use the media reactivator to help keep the dust down. This along with changing the media every couple of years really helps.

Participant

X2 on the dryer sheets and for polish / rejuvenator the best thing I’ve found to add to the media is New Finish car polish from the auto parts store in the orange bottle. The cases will shine like new and seem to have a protectant on them so they don’t tarnish as quickly. I’ve used it for sometime now and have noticed no ill effects but use at your own risk….

Again use at your own risk!!!!

Participant

Quote by: Mr+Mezcal

X2 on the dryer sheets and for polish / rejuvenator the best thing I’ve found to add to the media is New Finish car polish from the auto parts store in the orange bottle. The cases will shine like new and seem to have a protectant on them so they don’t tarnish as quickly. I’ve used it for sometime now and have noticed no ill effects but use at your own risk….

Again use at your own risk!!!!

Yup, I cut my dryer sheets in one inch strips. I also take my tumbler bowl out and clean the inside when it starts to look rough. A little bit goes a long way on the car polish, I have tried a few other things and the Nu Finish seems to work the best.

Participant

X3 on the dryer sheets and Nu Finish. Been doing it that way for years.

Participant

Thanks for the insight guys. I’ll change out the media and start collecting mama’s used dryer sheets. Looked on line at primer pocket cleaners too. One of those will be in order also. Think I’ll save the cash for the sonic cleaner for now invest in some NEW FINISH!!!

Participant

I don’t tumble cases. I de-prime, resize, trim, etc. all my brass, dump it in a bucket with some hot water and ISSO brass cleaner, swirl them around a bit then let them sit for a while, take them out, wash them in hot water and put them in a mesh bag so that I can hang them up to dry. They come out clean and ready to load.

Kent

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.