Home Forums Hunting Waterfowling Duck Mount Question?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

i shot this last fall. do you think i shouldof saved him to get mounted???

BuckZilla
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Isn’t that a “Juvenile” Drake? If so.. he’s just a youngin’.

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Looks to me like a juvenille drake aswell. was it shot early in the season?

vanderwell07
    Participant
    Up
    Down

yeah its a juvie drake. and November 2nd..

ggarrels
    Participant
    Up
    Down

its a pretty young juvie. i wouldn’t mount it. You’ll shot something a lot more mature next year i’m sure.

CoonRiver
    Participant
    Up
    Down

i don’t know many taxidermist that would have mounted it for you? lot’s of pin feathers,they would all fall out when it got fleshed.CoonRiver

vanderwell07
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: ggarrels

its a pretty young juvie. i wouldn’t mount it. You’ll shot something a lot more mature next year i’m sure.

i have shot alot of greenheads but i thought about mounting this one to have something different. 🙂

mattcondon
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Shoot a woodie or something if ya want an early season bird to mount. I personally wouldn’t mount a poorly plumaged mallard, they look much better on the grill with bacon and perpperjack than the wall.

Mattea66
    Participant
    Up
    Down

No I definately wouldn’t mount it. It is not that uncommon to shoot ducks that look like at any time through the season. The latest we shot a juvie like that this year was thanksgiving weekend. Last year I killed one on the last day of the season.

mattcondon
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Mattea66

No I definately wouldn’t mount it. It is not that uncommon to shoot ducks that look like at any time through the season. The latest we shot a juvie like that this year was thanksgiving weekend. Last year I killed one on the last day of the season.

Really? I’ve never seen them late in the season. Are you sure they weren’t hens? Generally, by that time of the year they aren’t all pin-feathery and have some color to em.

Mattea66
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Positive they weren’t hens. As the season goes on there are obviously fewer of them but we usually kill one or two later in the year. I was shocked by the one I killed on the last day though. It was not very big and still full of pin feathers. It looked like a duck from early october. The one we killed thanksgiving weekend this year was tiny! It was the smallest greenhead I’ve ever seen.

klktaxidermy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

to be honest with you they dont really mount out well, i have done several, i wouldnt waste my money if it were me.

lee 😉

gunner85
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Ya know… If the bird was special to you, mount it! I got a drake mounted and it wasn’t the emmaculate triple curl like everyone wants, but it was my first! If you throw down the money and want it done, I doubt you would find many tax’s that would say no to it

Bluegill Mike
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I really had to do a double take on this one, the breast feathers resemble the hen in every detail, but the beak is usually my 2nd look and it was an olive and not orange beak, its a young drake.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.