Doves2018-08-19T09:43:42-05:00

Home Forums Hunting General Hunting Doves

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Starting to see a few more Doves around. Maybe this year I will actually get out and try to shoot a few.

Participant

Ye  lots of doves this year around here.  Should be a good year. Still seeing a lot of young birds too.

WhipWhip
    Participant

Brad you definitely need to shoot a couple then wrap the breasts with bacon and grill.

Whip

Participant

Brad you definitely need to shoot a couple then wrap the breasts with bacon and grill.

That is the plan, sounds good.

Used to shot pigeons in a rock quarry as a kid, that was a few years ago… Will have to see how my shooting is these days.

Participant

my scouting revealed very few doves and even fewer decent sunflower fields most sunflowers were hip high and dwarfed by weeds.

Participant

Lots of doves around sunflower patch last week, very few this week so far

Participant

When does the dnr normally mow sunflower plots in preparation for dove season ?

Participant

Is it just where I hunt or are dove numbers down?  Haven’t seen near as many this year as I did last year at this time.

Blocked

lots of doves and lots of opportunities to shoot…..many many public sunflower plots to shoot at.  Got lots of doves this weekend hope it holds through the week and have another fun weekend coming!  Glad my team and I invested in some dekes!

Participant

Got my first limit of doves, took about 90 minutes. Fun times, but rained on though

Participant

I went out again on Thursday and the field was dead, harvested one bird had 5 marginal opportunities. Doves are done for me this year.

Jigs4pigsJigs4pigs
    Participant

Is it just where I hunt or are dove numbers down? Haven’t seen near as many this year as I did last year at this time.

imo the dnr needs to look at opening the season earlier! Sunflower fields are hit or miss for even having crop, thanks to all the deer. Who knew they’d demolish em the way they do. The past few years around Sugema the plots get smaller and smaller and less than the year before.

Fishing is only an addiction if you’re trying to quit

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

Doves are classified as migratory birds, the season opening dates are set by the feds not the state.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Participant

I still have whitewing doves hanging around my neighborhood again this year.

Jigs4pigsJigs4pigs
    Participant

Doves are classified as migratory birds, the season opening dates are set by the feds not the state.

did not realize the feds set the seasons, however being as they are migratory imo there is no way season opening dates should be the same in iowa as they are in texas.

Fishing is only an addiction if you’re trying to quit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!