Home Forums Hunting Dog Training Dog and chickens

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Probably a dumb question but am training a 6 month old pointer. My wife wants to get a couple chickens which I’m fine with but don’t want to add confusion to a young pup. Just didn’t want to add confusion as I’m sure we will be trying to keep her away from them. Thanks

Coonsqualler
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I had a 2 yr old pheasant hunting machine of a black lab and had the same concerns about bringing a few laying chicks home. I set up a small area for the chicks in the garage with a chicken wire “net” over the top. Our lab was interested in them at first just because they were new and smelled funny but I only had to tell her no a couple times and she seemed to pick up on it that they were off limits and I never had a problem after the birds were larger and free ranged on our acreage.

sep0667
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have had chickens a few years ago with our current dog. Never had any issues, the dog completely left them alone, had no interest in them. The dog will still kill the occasional mole, squinny, squirrel and even has killed coons and opposums that wondered in the yard at night. No issues with the chickens though.

sep0667
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: sep0667

I have had chickens a few years ago with our current dog. Never had any issues, the dog completely left them alone, had no interest in them. The dog will still kill the occasional mole, squinny, squirrel and even has killed coons and opposums that wondered in the yard at night. No issues with the chickens though.

Forgot to add, we had 5 or 6 geese on time too. The dog did get in and kill a couple of them and even killed one of cats one time(not maliciously, just ‘playing’ with it). Not sure why it was fine with the chickens.

TrapCyclone
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I don’t think the chickens would mess up the dog’s training. What I would be more worried about is the dog killing one of the chickens as it would likely lead to an unhappy wife! Is keeping the chickens penned up an option?

birdnbow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Yes I would put the Chickens in a pen. Life will go on if I lose a few chickens out of the deal I just don’t want to confuse a young pup on the concept of birds as I will be keeping her away from chickens but hoping she points a pheasant

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.