does this boat need to be registered 2018-10-06T22:32:58+00:00

Home Forums Miscellaneous Boating does this boat need to be registered

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Needed a boat to make it easier to get to and have less of an impact where I bow hunt  so I bought a Beavertail Stealth 2000 sneak boat. It is 12′ long and does not currently have the optional motor mount so it’s meant to be powered by an oar. I’m trying to figure out if this boat falls under the kayak exemption if I don’t put a motor on it?

drmac22
    Participant

Just had to register my Kayak cause its was over 13 foot, asked the lady at the counter why i needed to and she said it was over 13 foot.  So if your boat is under 13 and motor less then I think your good to go not registering it.  But call the county office and double check

twdenney
    Participant

Really??????? in less than 60 seconds I googled “how to register boat in IOWA”

Registration Exemptions First let’s determine if your boat or watercraft needs to be registered. The following vessels do not need to be registered:  Inflatable boats that are 7 ft. or less in length, with no motor or sail.  Conventional canoes and Kayaks (includes inflatable canoes and kayaks) that are 13 ft. or less in length, and do not have a motor or sail.  Government owned boats used for search and rescue.  Boats owned by public schools used for official research and studies

You can choose to register the above vessels but it isn’t required. You can also use your vessel on public water without registering if your boat fits the exemptions above. If you aren’t sure if your boat needs to be registered you can contact DNR Customer Service at 515-725-8200. If you would like to know the final cost of your registration which could include a local tax, you can contact your County Recorder in the county you reside.

This is why this site is so GREAT!!!!  so many smart people that happily help everyone out!

robert1976
    Participant

Really??????? in less than 60 seconds I googled “how to register boat in IOWA” Registration Exemptions First let’s determine if your boat or watercraft needs to be registered. The following vessels do not need to be registered:  Inflatable boats that are 7 ft. or less in length, with no motor or sail.  Conventional canoes and Kayaks (includes inflatable canoes and kayaks) that are 13 ft. or less in length, and do not have a motor or sail.  Government owned boats used for search and rescue.  Boats owned by public schools used for official research and studies You can choose to register the above vessels but it isn’t required. You can also use your vessel on public water without registering if your boat fits the exemptions above. If you aren’t sure if your boat needs to be registered you can contact DNR Customer Service at 515-725-8200. If you would like to know the final cost of your registration which could include a local tax, you can contact your County Recorder in the county you reside. This is why this site is so GREAT!!!! so many smart people that happily help everyone out!

I found that info but I wasn’t sure if my boat would qualify for the kayak exemption since it’s different than what most kayaks look like. I talked to the local conservation officer and she said it needed to be registered.

twdenney
    Participant

AGAIN…….(less than 6o seconds of google)…….”If you aren’t sure if your boat needs to be registered you can contact DNR Customer Service at 515-725-8200″  Great info online.

Are you using single bladed paddle…canoe

Are you using double bladed paddle…kayak

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  twdenney.
    smallmunster
    Participant

Call your county recorder.  Mine told me that a carstens pintail I was looking at would have to be registered.  This type of boat is not a conventional canoe or kayak so should have to be registered as well.  DNR or county recorder should be able to tell you for sure.

robert1976
    Participant

I’m using a double bladed paddle and a push pole when I get into thick grass.

The boat is getting registered tomorrow so I have more flexibility. I might want to add a motor down the road.

twdenney
    Participant

Good job, way to go and be proactive!

robert1976
    Participant

Ran into a snag getting the boat registered. I didn’t have the Manufacturers place of origin paper so the recorder can’t register it. I called the place that I bought it from and they couldn’t find it so I called the manufacturer and they are going to send me a duplicate. I was planning on using the boat the end of the week but now it looks like I won’t be able to.

stick500stick500
    Participant

I’d go ahead and take the trip and in the off-chance you get nabbed, have some evidence to show them how many hoops you’ve already tried to jump through to do the right thing. JMHO, not actual good legal advice 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by stick500 stick500.
    twdenney
    Participant

A 12 foot kayak does not need to be registered!!!!  Also if you are going that route for some reason, duplicates can be sent instantly electronically ABSOLUTELY no reason to wait on  this for an excuse not to get out there!!!!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  twdenney.
    robert1976
    Participant

A 12 foot kayak does not need to be registered!!!! Also if you are going that route for some reason, duplicates can be sent instantly electronically ABSOLUTELY no reason to wait on this for an excuse not to get out there!!!!

Wasn’t looking for an excuse to not go. I am going to matter if the boat is registered or not. Problem is the game warden seems to think the boat isn’t a kayak and needs to be registered and I was just trying to eliminate a headache if she checks me.

Duplicate title came today and it clearly lists the boat a canoe (It’s more of a kayak to me but that’s not important) so I’m going to carry that and a copy of the reg book to show her if I get checked.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.