Home Forums Hunting Firearms Legislation Discussing and Implementing Ideas for Protecting Our Schools

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: vettman1

So the idea about concealed is that no one knows who is carrying a firearm. Don’t force teachers to take training. Let them decide. Some people will and some won’t. The result is that the BG has no idea who is and isn’t carrying. Advantage – to the good guys/gals.

Don’t give up so easily! Talk to your school leadership. If the schoolboard members don’t like it, vote in ones that will.

Two thumbs up vettman1. I would be willing to back off my stance of making training mandatory, if that were an absolute deal breaker. Personally, I’m comfortable knowing that EVERYONE, I leave in charge of caring for and protecting my children, at least knows how to properly handle the appropriate tools in response to emergency situations. But, I’d settle for ‘Some’, because that’s better than ‘None’.

And for the umpteenth time, YOU CAN’T MANDATE ANYONE TAKE A “FRIGGIN” FIREARMS TRAINING CLASS, it just doesn’t work like that.

And stop messaging me, you are demonstrating behavior that borders on problematic and in all practicality, we should be more concerned about people like you losing it than some kid going nuts.

Participant

Quote by: BrownItsDown

Quote by: fowl_attitude

Teachers are required by state law to take a Mandatory Reporter of Abuse training (signs of child abuse), blood pathogens (for when kiddos get sick in your class), a restraint/ restriction or isolation (for disciplining children).

required by our district: a copy right law course (so as to not misuse material in your class)

Coaches are required by state law to take yearly concussion head trauma course. Head coaches are also required to watch a rules video at the start of their season every year for their sport.

These courses are about a 45 minute video that you watch and print off a certificate of completion at the end. All of these are yearly except the Child abuse is a 5 year certificate.

Plus we are required to take 5 credit hours of content to renew our licenses every 5 years.

Thank you fowl_attitude, THIS is exactly what I was asking for.

Below, I’ve commented on 4 of the annual training sessions/courses that you have stated are mandatory:
    1. Reporting abuse training is in place to provide protection for school children in your care. Very good. So would self defense training and firearm training.
    2. Blood pathogen training is in place to provide protection for you and the school children in your care. Very good. So would self defense training and firearm training.
    3. Restraint/restriction or isolation training is in place to provide protection for you and the school children in your care. Very good. So would self defense training and firearm training.
    4. Concussion head trauma training is in place to provide protection for the school children in your care. Very good. So would self defense training and firearm training.

So, now it’s been established that public school teachers are required to take some mandatory training, all of which listed above is designed to protect self and everyone else. Since this has been established, it is not unreasonable to propose mandatory training of any sort, including, but not limited to, self defense training and firearm training.

Thank you. BID

Next question? Are you going to pay for these extra training’s? You see a simple list. I see several hours of work that I pay for and am not compensated for. And now you are going to require more training’s that will more than likely never get used. …….That will be the response of most teachers. By the way, who no longer have a bargaining agreement, are no longer getting raises, no longer have a voice in this state. So go ahead and add a few more requirements that cost them money.

When I made the statement about the bus accident, you replied “no one is coming after the 2nd amendment over a bus accident”. That is really what this discussion is about. You think if we make schools safer, the anti’s will go away. These requirements will only make them stronger. If they have to do gun training, then that just means they are right in their eyes. Like I said, I appreciate the conversation, but it really is the wrong avenue at this time. My thumb is on the pulse. This isn’t going to fly.

Participant

Teachers are required by state law to take a Mandatory Reporter of Abuse training (signs of child abuse), blood pathogens (for when kiddos get sick in your class), a restraint/ restriction or isolation (for disciplining children).

required by our district: a copy right law course (so as to not misuse material in your class)

Coaches are required by state law to take yearly concussion head trauma course. Head coaches are also required to watch a rules video at the start of their season every year for their sport.

These courses are about a 45 minute video that you watch and print off a certificate of completion at the end. All of these are yearly except the Child abuse is a 5 year certificate.

Plus we are required to take 5 credit hours of content to renew our licenses every 5 years.

Below, I’ve commented on 4 of the annual training sessions/courses that you have stated are mandatory:
    1. Reporting abuse training is in place to provide protection for school children in your care. Very good. So would self defense training and firearm training.
    2. Blood pathogen training is in place to provide protection for you and the school children in your care. Very good. So would self defense training and firearm training.
    3. Restraint/restriction or isolation training is in place to provide protection for you and the school children in your care. Very good. So would self defense training and firearm training.
    4. Concussion head trauma training is in place to provide protection for the school children in your care. Very good. So would self defense training and firearm training.

So, now it’s been established that public school teachers are required to take some mandatory training, all of which listed above is designed to protect self and everyone else. Since this has been established, it is not unreasonable to propose mandatory training of any sort, including, but not limited to, self defense training and firearm training.

Thank you. BID

Next question? Are you going to pay for these extra training’s? You see a simple list. I see several hours of work that I pay for and am not compensated for. And now you are going to require more training’s that will more than likely never get used. …….That will be the response of most teachers. By the way, who no longer have a bargaining agreement, are no longer getting raises, no longer have a voice in this state. So go ahead and add a few more requirements that cost them money.

When I made the statement about the bus accident, you replied “no one is coming after the 2nd amendment over a bus accident”. That is really what this discussion is about. You think if we make schools safer, the anti’s will go away. These requirements will only make them stronger. If they have to do gun training, then that just means they are right in their eyes. Like I said, I appreciate the conversation, but it really is the wrong avenue at this time. My thumb is on the pulse. This isn’t going to fly.

$1,000,000.00 worth of FREE firearms training, offered locally. https://iowasportsman.com/forum/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=1017070 This was offered as a gift, of their own free will. Obviously, I can’t say for certain, but I’d be willing to bet that several others would similarly offer their training services for free or a discounted rate.

Lack of bargaining agreement, raises, voice in this state, etc. are all moot points when it comes to this discussion about measures that should be taken to protect our children within our schools. This is extremely blunt, but if you’re unhappy within your current career choice, and I don’t blame you if you are, then you always have the option to quit and pursue a different career path. We all do.

Nope, I don’t think anything other than the elimination of all firearms will make the Anti’s go away. Even then, they’d find something to *censored* about… I don’t agree with your last statement about it making the Anti’s stronger, but OK.

Participant

Quote by: llewellinsetter

And for the umpteenth time, YOU CAN’T MANDATE ANYONE TAKE A “FRIGGIN” FIREARMS TRAINING CLASS, it just doesn’t work like that.

And stop messaging me, you are demonstrating behavior that borders on problematic and in all practicality, we should be more concerned about people like you losing it than some kid going nuts.

🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄

Participant

I dont see much chance of mandatory firearm training for teachers, safety and response training yes, firearm no. Too many people would be opposed, myself included. But you are welcome to try.

What does sound practical and inexpensive are
    1. Lobbying at the district level for teachers to be allowed to CCW, not all districts will like this, buy yours might.
    2. Mandatory “active shooter response” type safety training

Increasing building security may be practical but have cost variations by building.

Your best bet to make a difference for your kids is to focus efforts at the district level, there you are one voice in thousands rather than millions and they are also able t do things more quickly. Whichever solution you decide to advocate good luck.

Participant

Thank you. BID

$1,000,000.00 worth of FREE firearms training, offered locally. https://iowasportsman.com/forum/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=1017070 This was offered as a gift, of their own free will. Obviously, I can’t say for certain, but I’d be willing to bet that several others would similarly offer their training services for free or a discounted rate.

Lack of bargaining agreement, raises, voice in this state, etc. are all moot points when it comes to this discussion about measures that should be taken to protect our children within our schools. This is extremely blunt, but if you’re unhappy within your current career choice, and I don’t blame you if you are, then you always have the option to quit and pursue a different career path. We all do.

Nope, I don’t think anything other than the elimination of all firearms will make the Anti’s go away. Even then, they’d find something to *censored* about… I don’t agree with your last statement about it making the Anti’s stronger, but OK.

My last post on this thread. First I am perfectly happy with my career choice and love my job. My comment about bargaining had to do with the fact teachers already pay for yearly training’s, do them on their own time, and can’t do anything about it, so adding more is not a good idea. You have an agenda. You asked for opinions. In one statement you say “they won’t be mandated or required” then you say “oh great, required training’s, well then here is another one” I offered my opinion as someone who is actually in the field (keep in mind I have mentioned several times I am pro 2A and an NRA member). I have offered my opinions based on almost 20 years of experience. I have even said I agree with your ideas. I just know they will not be accepted by the majority. You seem to think you can change societies viewpoint on this if you push hard enough. I don’t think so. I wish you luck in that endeavor.

Participant

Thanks to everyone for their correspondence. I know I am shrewd. I could be more PC, but that tends to be lengthy / wordy, and is much easier for people to misconstrue and twist my words. So, I choose not to. I’ve been busy this weekend, but look forward to continuing this conversation once I’m spending more time at the computer again.

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

Lookin forward to it. 😀

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant

His daughter was killed in the Florida shooting. He’s the closest to it, and he totally gets it. There is such a disconnect for so many who focus on ‘Gun Control’ being the solution for protecting our children?!

https://youtu.be/PujXaP0iooU

If I arrive to the hospital, bleeding out, the first thing the Dr’s will concentrate all efforts on is stopping the bleeding. They won’t ignore the bleeding and go debate whatever physical ‘thing’ caused the bleeding, in the lobby. After I heal up a bit, they’re going to talk to me about ways I can better avoid and protect myself from being injured again. They’re going to teach me to avoid doing things and going into areas that aren’t safe, and will promote proactive action on my part to properly protect myself, and others, if I must do those things or enter those areas. They aren’t going to preach to me about banning or restricting the ‘thing’ that injured me, because they have enough common sense to know that is unrealistic, and that there are multiple dangers in life that we have to be best equipped to handle, because they’ll always be there, and always have been.

Participant

From a combination of the ideas that I initially presented, and all of your feedback received, this is what I’ve assembled as a robust, feasible plan of action for protecting our school children from acts of terrorism:

1. Arm qualified school teachers / staff that choose to carry a firearm.
    (Allowing them to use their own firearms, and possibly providing firearms to others who don’t already have their own. THIS IS NOT MANDATORY FOR ANYONE.)

Thank you vettman1 for providing the following information on how to do this within current Iowa law.

https://law.justia.com/codes/iowa/2014/title-xvi/subtitle-1/chapter-724/section-724.4b/

724.4B Carrying firearms on school grounds – penalty – exceptions.
    1. A person who goes armed with, carries, or transports a firearm of any kind, whether concealed or not, on the grounds of a school commits a class D felony. For the purposes of this section, school means a public or nonpublic school as defined in section 280.2.
    2. Subsection 1 does not apply to the following:
    a. A person listed under section 724.4, subsection 4, paragraphs b through f or j.
    b. A person who has been specifically authorized by the school to go armed with, carry, or transport a firearm on the school grounds, including for purposes of conducting an instructional program regarding firearms.

2. Provide and require free, or low cost, annual firearm training for all teachers / staff participating in #1.
    (It would be provided optionally and promoted for all others. THIS IS NOT MANDATORY FOR THOSE CHOOSING NOT TO CARRY FIREARMS.)

3. Provide free or low cost annual self defense training for all teachers / staff.
    (I can make a strong argument for making this mandatory for ALL, but am willing to leave this optional, due to all of the push-back within the previous discussion. THIS IS NOT MANDATORY FOR ANYONE.)

4. Convert all non-main school building entry points into Emergency Exits ONLY, install electronic/mechanical devices to prohibit unauthorized entry, and set them up to set off alarms upon unauthorized use.
    (Similar to how many office buildings, and stores, are designed today. Suspend / expel those who choose to trigger false alarms.)

5. Implement security screening areas at all main school building entry points, including, but not limited to metal detectors and armed security guards.
    (Clearly identify what items are prohibited and set size limitations on book bags, etc. I would suggest leveraging National Guardsmen/women as much as possible, where available, at least initially.)

6. Install simplistic internal door locking / barricading systems that can be engaged manually from within each classroom, and/or even electronically, linked to the alarm system.
    (Suspend / expel those who choose to activate these devices in non-emergency situations.)

7. Hold random Active Shooter drills periodically, similar to Fire and Tornado drills.
    (The more these are practiced, the better prepared everyone is for a real-live situation.)

I believe this plan to be thorough, without being completely over-the-top, and could be considered Budget Friendly, when compared to other multi-faceted, extensive protection plans. Plus, as stated prior, it’s all feasible.

Pursuing predictive modeling and improving how Law Enforcement divisions proactively act on possible threats, along with how Law Enforcement divisions respond to Active Shooter scenarios, are all also points that need improvement, but I see these as residing outside of the actual school’s responsibility. All of these things will take cooperation from the schools and communities for accurately reporting threatening behavior when it is observed.

I appreciate the idea of installing bullet proof doors and glass, etc. but unless the walls are also bullet proof, I don’t see much benefit. Plus, the expense associated with bullet proofing anything, is extensive.

Thanks again everyone. BID

Participant

Over 15,000 teen drivers a year are involved in fatal accidents. Maybe we should mandate 21 minimum age for drivers license. 😐

WhipWhip
    Participant

Well BID that seems like a very reasonable and well thought out list. Lets hope our leaders in DC and locally can do as well in their planning. Nicely done!!!!

Whip

3. Provide free or low cost annual self defense training for all teachers / staff.
    (I can make a strong argument for making this mandatory for ALL, but am willing to leave this optional, due to all of the push-back within the previous discussion. THIS IS NOT MANDATORY FOR ANYONE.)

What exactly is your argument?

Participant

Quote by: llewellinsetter

What exactly is your argument?

I recognize and refuse to take the bait of a Troll.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 150 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.