Home Forums Hunting Firearms Legislation Dick’s

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Another one to take off the list to shop at. Funny they quite selling them in 2013 and then started again when they opened up Field and Stream stores.

Not sure if they are going to stop selling AR’s there also. Freaking publicity stunt.

Participant

Quote by: maxx

Another one to take off the list to shop at. Funny they quite selling them in 2013 and then started again when they opened up Field and Stream stores.

Not sure if they are going to stop selling AR’s there also. Freaking publicity stunt.

If it’s for publicity, which I agree, why do you care? How many people are actually buying these guns at Dick’s anyway. I found it funny how many people I saw posting on social media that they will no longer support their stores.

Participant

Chalk me up for that list, never was a fan of dicks anyways

stick500stick500
    Participant

from my house I can almost see our Dick’s Sporting Goods

if I look the other way, I can almost see the school where my 12 and 14 year-old daughters go

kinda glad they aren’t selling ARs there

JMHO

Participant

I find it incredible that CEOs can be panicked by a few spambots. What a bunch of lemmings.

Participant

Sounds like they are also going to stop selling “high-capacity” magazines and will not sell to persons under the age of 21.

http://whotv.com/2018/02/28/dicks-sporting-goods-will-stop-selling-assault-style-rifles/

I don’t think I have ever purchased a firearm there, but I assume they also sell other semi-auto firearms? How do these differ significantly from an AR in terms of capabilities?

How quickly people forget that there was an AR ban for a ten year period beginning in about 1994. Studies on its effectiveness tended to show it had little to no effect on crime, partially because only about 2% or less of all crimes that involve the use of a firearm were committed with an AR. It really is unfortunate that it has come to be known as an “assault rifle” because the AR really is an abbreviation for Armalite.

Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Sounds like they are also going to stop selling “high-capacity” magazines and will not sell to persons under the age of 21.

http://whotv.com/2018/02/28/dicks-sporting-goods-will-stop-selling-assault-style-rifles/

I don’t think I have ever purchased a firearm there, but I assume they also sell other semi-auto firearms? How do these differ significantly from an AR in terms of capabilities?

How quickly people forget that there was an AR ban for a ten year period beginning in about 1994. Studies on its effectiveness tended to show it had little to no effect on crime, partially because only about 2% or less of all crimes that involve the use of a firearm were committed with an AR. It really is unfortunate that it has come to be known as an “assault rifle” because the AR really is an abbreviation for Armalite.

Didn’t the number of mass shootings go down though? Obviously a ban on guns like the AR-15 isn’t going to stop gun violence on the streets since that is almost completely from hand guns. If some types of shootings decreased because of the ban and others didn’t change much wouldn’t you call that beneficial? Are more people benefiting more from having an AR-15 compared to not having it?

I don’t like the idea of banning guns but there are quite a few styles of guns that I just don’t see any need for any civilian to have other than to kill as many people as fast as they can.

Participant

Quote by: scherrman

Didn’t the number of mass shootings go down though? Obviously a ban on guns like the AR-15 isn’t going to stop gun violence on the streets since that is almost completely from hand guns. If some types of shootings decreased because of the ban and others didn’t change much wouldn’t you call that beneficial? Are more people benefiting more from having an AR-15 compared to not having it?

I don’t like the idea of banning guns but there are quite a few styles of guns that I just don’t see any need for any civilian to have other than to kill as many people as fast as they can.

If you put a wood stock on an AR and made it look more like a traditional hunting rifle would you be okay with it? Functionally they would be identical.

The data don’t seem to show any measurable decrease in mass shootings during the years of the ban. The shooting at Columbine actually happened while the ban was in effect. There are a variety of articles out there that you can read for yourself. Here is one which includes a chart as a visual:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2012/12/17/everything-you-need-to-know-about-banning-assault-weapons-in-one-post/?utm_term=.912be8a10f23

JefroJefro
    Participant

Quote by: maxx

If it’s for publicity, which I agree, why do you care? How many people are actually buying these guns at Dick’s anyway. I found it funny how many people I saw posting on social media that they will no longer support their stores.

My kid plays a lot of baseball. We typically spend a few hundred a summer at Dicks on wood bats alone. I’ll be using bats express from here on out. I’ve never bought as much as a fishing pole from them, certainly not a gun. I could understand their desire to make a big deal about not selling guns, that they haven’t sold for years. It was their outright support for a new AW ban that pushed me over the edge.

Participant

Last time, Dicks “pulled AR-15 rifles from the shelf” it was literally that. They pulled them from the display shelf and put them in the back room. You could still ask for an AR-15 and they’d sell it.

Participant

Gunman Nikolas Cruz bought a handgun from a Dick’s store in November last year
    He did not use it in the massacre but Stack said he should never have been able to buy it

Just read this in article that says Walmart bans sale of guns and ammunition to anyone under 21 – hours after Dick’s Sporting Goods stops selling assault rifles

Wonder how Dicks sold him a Handgun when he has to be 21

JefroJefro
    Participant

The #1 weapon used for all mass shootings is a handgun. 2:1 over rifles of any kind and 4:1 over shotguns.

Not sure how old you are, but you have to ask what changed in 1994 after the ban went into effect. Nothing was confiscated, I woke up and all my hi-caps and newly defined “assault weapons” were still in my house.

People could still buy and sell anything they wanted and in the end, the only thing that WAS affected was the cosmetic features that were allowed on the new semi auto rifles. Since there were no confiscations, no buy backs, it is hard to say with a straight face that any changes in any statistics was due to the ban, year one or year ten.

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Quote by: slim

Gunman Nikolas Cruz bought a handgun from a Dick’s store in November last year
    He did not use it in the massacre but Stack said he should never have been able to buy it

Just read this in article that says Walmart bans sale of guns and ammunition to anyone under 21 – hours after Dick’s Sporting Goods stops selling assault rifles

Wonder how Dicks sold him a Handgun when he has to be 21

On the radio I heard it was a shotgun

Participant

Really Scherman? Are we going to have to rehash all of the reasons why defining an assault weapon is an inherently ineffective and irrelevant pursuit? Do we have to go back and copy and paste the dozens of posts that have demonstrated that an AR15 is no more deadly than a high-capacity Benelli SBE? Honestly, this has been beaten to death on this site, and you have been involved in most of the threads.

Participant

Quote by: CRIA1576

Really Scherman? Are we going to have to rehash all of the reasons why defining an assault weapon is an inherently ineffective and irrelevant pursuit? Do we have to go back and copy and paste the dozens of posts that have demonstrated that an AR15 is no more deadly than a high-capacity Benelli SBE? Honestly, this has been beaten to death on this site, and you have been involved in most of the threads.

Sorry, I must not have been a part of that conversation. I know it wouldn’t be easy and I don’t know if it could be done but it really sucks that so many feel that nothing can or should be done. If you look at my post you quoted you’ll see I was very careful not to say assault weapons.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.