Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Des Moines river four mile creek

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have never fished the river and am wondering if anyone can give some tips on shore fishing the Does Moines river area down off vandelia road near four mile creek.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I fish that area quite often and have had my sonar down there a few times so can give you some general pointers.

– Just off the right side of the boat ramp to the bridge is a huge hole, 20-25 feet deep. Ive been told its the deepest hole in that entire section of river. In the winter you can see hundreds of fish stacked in there on sonar. Ive caught a few walleyes in the early spring in that spot and have seen some flatheads caught there also.

-The last couple weeks the carp are biting like crazy down there. The best way is to stand at the end of the boat ramp facing west and throw directly into the current and let if drift back to you. Ive watched guys catch carp every cast doing that.

-The rock jetty by the bridge is another decent spot. Ive had the best luck in the slackwater in front of it. I think its about 15 feet deep right in there and have marked alot of fish in that area.

-Ive fished the area right where four mile creek dumps in but havent had much luck there. It seems really shallow this time of year when the water is low. I have seen guys catch catfish and flatheads there in the summer when the water is higher so it has potential to be a good spot.

– I have caught alot of white bass and wipers in the summer fishing the current break made by the boat ramp. It doesnt seem as productive though in the winter.

-Just off to the left behind the boat ramp is another good spot as it creates alot of slackwater in there. Ive caught about every species in that spot, just depends on the time of year.

– The only other spot Ive fished is that huge tree thats down off the left of the boat ramp. Ive marked alot of fish in that area holding by the tree. If you walk further down there are a couple other good spots around downed trees.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Participant
    Up
    Down

That is awesome information thank you very much.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Glad I could help. Also, Ive fished that current break created by the rock jetty and havent caught anything. I put my sonar out there and it looked like a dead zone, just alot of current and a flat bottom. It looks like it would be a really productive spot but I guess the fish dont like it. 😕

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.