Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing depth finder/fishfinder vs flashers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Can a guy a get away with you using a dept finder for ice fishing

Participant

Absolutely. I used to use my Lowrance 520C for ice fishing. You just want to make sure your locator has good target seperation. Also check to see if you have a flasher option on the locator you are using. Most of the Lowrance units have a flasher option.

MATZILLAMATZILLA
    Participant

Here’s some good info
    http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=94590.0

I’ll be using a cheapo HB 175 this year

Participant

Quote by: Guest

Can a guy a get away with you using a dept finder for ice fishing

We used a HB to shot thru the ice trout fishing in the mountains because the ice might be 3+’ thick. Just chip enough of an indent so your transducer can make contact with a moistened surface. I just carried a bottle of water. Only takes a teaspoon worth. Remember the ice should be nice and solid, doesn’t work as well if there is a layer of ‘rotten’ ice under it.

Participant

You can but in my experience it’s not as good. I started with a cheap humminbird and I could tell depth and could see my lure but it wasn’t “real time” like a flasher. I went to a flasher two years ago and will never go back. If you can, try them both and you will see the difference.

Participant

I went with a Showdown from Marcum. This is digital, so no moving parts. Very similar to a flasher…….great separation. Make sure to get a dual cone with whatever unit you go with. Most come standard with a 20 degree transducer. I’ve found I use the 8 degree much more especially around trees and structure.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.