Home Forums Miscellaneous Gardening Dehydrators

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Looking to buy a dehydrator this summer to use on fruits & veggies. Research has me pointed towards an Excalibur 9 tray. Any tips would be appreciated

Participant

No advice for that model, but bigger is definitely better! I run two smaller ones at a time and it is a pain, a basket full off herbs drys down to a couple small shakers of stuff! But it is well worth it when compared to store bought stuff that has been packed for months/years

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

Quote by: sparkie

Looking to buy a dehydrator this summer to use on fruits & veggies. Research has me pointed towards an Excalibur 9 tray. Any tips would be appreciated

If you are handy with tools, you can build your own solar dehydrator.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/solar-food-dehydrator-plans-zm0z14jjzmar.aspx

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Participant

I have the 9 tray Excalibur with timer and absolutely love it! I have only done beef jerky in it and haven’t filled all 9 trays but am totally in love with it. I just need more time to try other things. The book that came with it really open my eyes, didn’t know I could make fruit roll ups using yogurt.

Participant

My wife got me a dehydrator for my birthday this year so I could use it instead of the oven to make deer jerky. I haven’t tried it yet, but this is what I got:

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/nesco-american-harvest-gardenmaster-dehydrator/0000000012218

The nice thing about these units is that you can expand them as needed by adding more trays. I think that so long as it is capable of circulating hot air maintained at temperatures of up to 170-200 degrees Fahrenheit then you should be okay. When I dehydrated jerky in the oven I just maintained it at 200 F for a couple hours and cracked the oven door open to let moisture escape. This worked well enough, but required running the oven for extended time periods.

Participant

I also have a dehydrator and looking to build a BIGGER one. I do apples every Fall and I need like a fridge or freezer size one that I can also do jerky in. It takes a LOT of time to dry down a bushel of apples or 40 (wet weight) pounds of deer jerky. Any good ideas out there??

I do use my stove for my jerky and then finish up the pieces of deer I don’t think are dry enough in the dehydrator. Takes 3+ hours in stove for jerky.

Thanks!!

Heuy

CedarStorm1975CedarStorm1975
    Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

My wife got me a dehydrator for my birthday this year so I could use it instead of the oven to make deer jerky. I haven’t tried it yet, but this is what I got:

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/nesco-american-harvest-gardenmaster-dehydrator/0000000012218

The nice thing about these units is that you can expand them as needed by adding more trays. I think that so long as it is capable of circulating hot air maintained at temperatures of up to 170-200 degrees Fahrenheit then you should be okay. When I dehydrated jerky in the oven I just maintained it at 200 F for a couple hours and cracked the oven door open to let moisture escape. This worked well enough, but required running the oven for extended time periods.

I had one of those and it burned up the first night I tried to make jerky in it. So we returned it and got another…….same story. Hope yours works better. After that incident I saved up a few bucks and got an Excalibur and couldn’t be happier. Quality units!

Participant

Quote by: CedarStorm1975

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I had one of those and it burned up the first night I tried to make jerky in it. So we returned it and got another…….same story. Hope yours works better. After that incident I saved up a few bucks and got an Excalibur and couldn’t be happier. Quality units!

That certainly is not good news. 😥 My wife bought it after I had already processed my deer jerky, so it hasn’t seen any use yet. Hopefully I don’t have the same experience that you had!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.