Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Deer left in field over night?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Does anyone leave deer in the field over night. Either gutted or not.

I have in the past, and never had an issue.

Thanks

Participant
    Up
    Down

Made that mistake this year and a yote ate out the right hind quarter 👿

Participant
    Up
    Down

“Assuming that it is cold enough for the meat not to spoil.” In 25yrs. of bowhunting I left 2 overnight, one grossed 183 3/8. I found them both, but I have lost a couple that I started to track after 2 hrs. that I didn’t find, both had layed down. If I had left them instead of spooking them I believe I would have recovered them. Stepson #2 stuck one at almost dark this year and wasn’t sure of the hit, he decided we should wait till morning. We found it about 80yds. away,coyotes found it first. I have NEVER seen one eaten that badly before, everything was GONE from the back knees into the front shoulders. Wished we had a camera with us, it should net mid 140s. Will we leave one overnight again? If it is a questionable hit-probably. Better to have the Antlers than nothing.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I had one go bad overnight if it is really hot out like it sometimes gets during bow season. I bet some of the meat would have been O.K. but I took it to a locker and they threw it out. I was on college and staying in a dorm so I didnt have much else of a choice rather then let it go.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Left one overnight this year during 2nd shotgun. Was on stand in some timber and had about 30 deer come right to me. Picked out a doe I felt good about putting a tag on and pulled the trigger. She dropped in her tracks about 15 yards away. Waited for the group to get back together and walked back in to drag her out. That is when we noticed blood about 10 yards behind where she lay. It was getting pretty dark and we were in some pretty nasty country so decided to come back in the morning to look for the other deer. The other doe lay about 120 yards from the first doe. Shot in almost the exact same spot as the first. Heart lungs on both. Clean pass thru on both deer. Using Winchester partition golds in 20 ga. Put a tag on her and took her to the shed. No problem. I think if a deer is gut shot might be a different story. Also I think if you gut them you should do your best to drag them out otherwise I feel you are inviting the predators to take your deer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.