Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Deer Classic 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Didn’t make it down this year. Anyone else? Any new toys out there? Was wondering if Garmin had their new bow sight there?

Participant

😀
    Yep, made it to the classic and got a brand new Crossbow made by Ravin. Scheels had dropped the price 300.00 dollar on the R9, plus they threw in 6 extra bolts and free case. An additional 170.00 vlaue. JUST NEED THE STATE TO CHANGE THE REGS TO READ CAN HUNT ALL BOW SEASONS AND NOT JUST THE COLD JANUARY BLACKPOWDER SEASON. HAVE not had chance to sight in yet. But super excited my wife let me spend the money. Will be the last bow I ever buy.

Was looking to see if Vortex had a rep at the classic, cuz wanted to see if they had any rebate coupons-NO LUCK.

Would love to get Vortex ragnefinder. But would like to snag a little reduction in price, cuz they dont give them away.

Anyhow, was nice classic and eating a Buzzard Billy’s was great too. Good food and the tall beers were only $4.00 dollars. GREAT DAY SPENDING MONEY ON GEAR! robbie

Participant

We went down yesterday because my daughter was cheering at the Iowa Wolfs game anyway.

Pretty much the same thing as usual. My wife and daughter only went because we were down there anyway but they don’t have a lot of interest in being there so we walk through it quick and headed out to eat lunch. I think it is something I would prefer to do ever other year.

The thing I like the most is walking through the deer. My son’s buddy missed out on 3rd place this year by an inch.

Those Ravens look nice. I like the low profile has to make it easier for shooting out of a blind. I am not sure on making them legal for all seasons. They did that in WI and they are now backing off because of the toll it is taking.

I do wish they would open it up a little more. It should be legal for youth and all the guns seasons at a minimum.

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

I didn’t make it this year. Had too much going on. Does anyone know what deer won the biggest? I have a buddy that entered his gigantic deer this year. Was curious is all.

NorhawkNorhawk
    Participant

This was my first time ever going to the classic. Went down on Saturday with my dad and we were amazed by how big this event was with all the vendors and people that were there. A lot of nice people down there, if someone would accidentally bump into you in the big crowd they would excuse themselves. Would have loved to spend some $$ but I got a little one on the way. 😆

Participant

everyone would have you believe their blend of turnips, rape,oats, radishes, and beans is better than any other. still an interesting time, and some new fish mix plus some lights for using planer boards at night were only purchases. got to the point where big deer, unless they are over my sight all begin to look the same. sportsmen are polite, even in crowed circumstances I agree. doc

Participant

I had a table for the 2nd year in a row. Felt less busy than last year, but still a good show. It is pretty incredible how big it.

Participant

It was nice meeting allot of The Iowa Sportsman readers at our Booth. I agree traffic felt down. But still a great show with lots of new subscribers and fellow web followers.

Participant

Quote by: rericsson

😀
    Yep, made it to the classic and got a brand new Crossbow made by Ravin. Scheels had dropped the price 300.00 dollar on the R9, plus they threw in 6 extra bolts and free case. An additional 170.00 vlaue. JUST NEED THE STATE TO CHANGE THE REGS TO READ CAN HUNT ALL BOW SEASONS AND NOT JUST THE COLD JANUARY BLACKPOWDER SEASON. HAVE not had chance to sight in yet. But super excited my wife let me spend the money. Will be the last bow I ever buy. …

Let us all know if your new Ravin crossbow lives up to the reviews and hype. It’s one of the few hunting products that has me licking my chops from watching the videos and reading the reviews. The price is still a bit too high for what I’ll allow myself to spend now, but if it comes down a bit, or I can find a used one in good condition, I think I’ll end up owning one myself. I agree with you’re opinion about the regs opening up more seasons to crossbow hunting.

Participant

🙂

Yesterday I used the manual and put level on front limbs and level on top turret of scope. Got the scope mounted level on the crossbow. Now, just need decent weather to sight in at 10, 20 and 50 yards, then should be shooting 50 to 75 yards with very good accuracy.

I am excited about the purchase. Was going to buy Matthews for years, but always put it off due to the cost. Kept telling myself my Jennings bow was working fine. Well, the Matthews is out the window and the Ravin should fit the bill nicely. Besides, by the time I would put quiver, drop away rest, arrows, etc. The cost would be cheaper with the Ravin. robbie

BrandonUSMCBrandonUSMC
    Participant

Quote by: FMB50010

It was nice meeting allot of The Iowa Sportsman readers at our Booth. I agree traffic felt down. But still a great show with lots of new subscribers and fellow web followers.

i got mine there for 3 years

Participant

I went for the first time in a few years. I enjoyed it. I am very happy they have not opened up the regs anymore than what they already have on xbows.

Participant

Quote by: sep0667

I went for the first time in a few years. I enjoyed it. I am very happy they have not opened up the regs anymore than what they already have on xbows.

I am not for it during normal bow season (honestly it is because I am selfish. Vertical bows these days are dam near the same lethality as a crossbow. Opening it up to Crossbows would just add a ton of pressure).

I do think they should have it open for all other seasons. I am not sure why you cant use a crossbow in seasons you can use a shotgun. The youth season kills me that you cant use one!

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

🙂

Now, just need decent weather to sight in at 10, 20 and 50 yards, then should be shooting 50 to 75 yards with very good accuracy.

Agree with the last two guys about x-bows during the regular archery season, the quote above is the reason why. I know people will say “but compound bows, etc.,” but the average guy let alone a proficient bow hunter hunting with a compound bow still can’t reliably shoot out much past 40 yards with even the best conditions. I’d like them to go as far restricting any electronic or magnification type sights as well.

As for the Classic, it was nice with the light traffic and the quality of vendors and spectators created one of the better shows I’ve seen down there in a while. It was like there was something in the water and everyone was being as friendly as possible.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Participant

Quote by: llewellinsetter

🙂

Now, just need decent weather to sight in at 10, 20 and 50 yards, then should be shooting 50 to 75 yards with very good accuracy.

Agree with the last two guys about x-bows during the regular archery season, the quote above is the reason why. I know people will say “but compound bows, etc.,” but the average guy let alone a proficient bow hunter hunting with a compound bow still can’t reliably shoot out much past 40 yards with even the best conditions. I’d like them to go as far restricting any electronic or magnification type sights as well.

As for the Classic, it was nice with the light traffic and the quality of vendors and spectators created one of the better shows I’ve seen down there in a while. It was like there was something in the water and everyone was being as friendly as possible.

Ya that is a good point I haven’t shot the Raven’s so I am not sure how accurate they really are.

My experience is with 2 x-bows. I bought my old man a 10 Point. I don’t remember the exact model but it was one of their top ones 3 or 4 years ago. I didn’t feel any more accurate out to 50 yards than I did with my regular bow. I will say it was easier to get out there than it was with a regular bow.

I have a cheaper whicked ridge bow. It is less accurate at 50 than my bow is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.