Home Forums Hunting Waterfowling Decoys?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This will be my first season waterfowling. Do I ‘need’ decoys to have a moderate chance of success? Any suggestions for a total newbie? I won’t ask for locations as I’ve got a few scouted out just techniques that you may have learned, what species are more enjoyable to hunt or taste better than others. Would you buy a call or set of calls or not?

Thanks,

Participant

If you don’t have decoys or calls you still stand a decent chance at bagging a few ducks. Do some hiking around in the coming weeks and see where you are finding ducks early in the AM or coming it at evening. Especially in the earlier parts of the season, you can really put a hurt on some wood ducks in some wooded sloughs or flooded timbers. As far your question about which ones are good to eat, it is almost impossible in my book to top a fat little acorn fed woody. Maybe only thing i would say is better is a big fat field fed mallard.

Plus teal are easy to get shots at and they are so dumb many times if you bust a flock and even shoot you will see them again.

Participant

It sure helps. I would say the later in the year you go the more difficult it will get.

A lot of people hate spinners but they are perfect early in the year for teal. Put out one of them and you would be good to go. I tend to not use them later in the year.

Participant

Thanks for the replies. I’ll add that early morning scouting to my list.

Participant

Quote by: maxx

A lot of people hate spinners but they are perfect early in the year for teal.

x2. The debate rages on whether spinner shy birds are really 100% a “thing” or not or just how serious a problem it is. But early season dummy teal will fall for it every time. Where you located nahdogg? I have some old dekes that you can have, their taking up space in the garage and i got mostly new ones last year. They aren’t great but something’s better than nothing.
    s\

Participant

Quote by: speng5

x2. The debate rages on whether spinner shy birds are really 100% a “thing” or not or just how serious a problem it is. But early season dummy teal will fall for it every time. Where you located nahdogg? I have some old dekes that you can have, their taking up space in the garage and i got mostly new ones last year. They aren’t great but something’s better than nothing.
    s\

I’m in Des Moines, I tried to send a PM, not sure it went through.

Participant

Quote by: nahdogg

Quote by: speng5

s\

I’m in Des Moines, I tried to send a PM, not sure it went through.

It didnt. Just shoot me an email, [email protected].

Participant

give me a shout if I can help. I would be willing to mentor to get you started.

Participant

Quote by: gramps

give me a shout if I can help. I would be willing to mentor to get you started.

Thanks, PM Sent

Participant

Quote by: nahdogg

This will be my first season waterfowling. Do I ‘need’ decoys to have a moderate chance of success? Any suggestions for a total newbie? I won’t ask for locations as I’ve got a few scouted out just techniques that you may have learned, what species are more enjoyable to hunt or taste better than others. Would you buy a call or set of calls or not?

Thanks,

Just sent you a P.M.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.