Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Debatable Baiting?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Tin+Roof

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

In my experience people who bash hunters with access to food plots are jealous that they don’t have the same access.

Get over it, a bail in the middle of a field does not create the same improvements as a food plot. End of story.

For many it’s jealousy. For some it’s a concern that deer hunting will become a rich man’s sport. Food plots are costly and without a doubt give a hunter the upper hand on opportunities for harvesting mature deer in the area. Personally I have no issue with someone putting food plots on their property. Good for them. The plots help many species of wildlife.

On the other hand, strategically placing a hay bale or tub of corn to draw in deer is pretty much the lazy way out., and with the way laws are written is definitely baiting. It would be no different than hunting over an actual deer feeder. At the same time, I really don’t care enough to get all excited about someone doing it. Most likely the guy hunting by that bale is just looking for an easy shot and then is done. Not sitting there shooting 180″ deer and stacking them like cord wood.

Land access is what is making it a rich man’s sport. Not food plots. I know several guys who are far from being rich, that plant food plots. If you are willing to put in some long hard work, it is not that expensive to plant them.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Bob+Er

In my experience people who bash hunters with access to food plots are jealous that they don’t have the same access.

Get over it, a bail in the middle of a field does not create the same improvements as a food plot. End of story.

For many it’s jealousy. For some it’s a concern that deer hunting will become a rich man’s sport. Food plots are costly and without a doubt give a hunter the upper hand on opportunities for harvesting mature deer in the area. Personally I have no issue with someone putting food plots on their property. Good for them. The plots help many species of wildlife.

On the other hand, strategically placing a hay bale or tub of corn to draw in deer is pretty much the lazy way out., and with the way laws are written is definitely baiting. It would be no different than hunting over an actual deer feeder. At the same time, I really don’t care enough to get all excited about someone doing it. Most likely the guy hunting by that bale is just looking for an easy shot and then is done. Not sitting there shooting 180″ deer and stacking them like cord wood.

Land access is what is making it a rich man’s sport. Not food plots. I know several guys who are far from being rich, that plant food plots. If you are willing to put in some long hard work, it is not that expensive to plant them.

I would agree, but many do not see it that way. Maybe it’s laziness, maybe it’s from watching too many hunting shows where they are using $50K tractors and the best equipment and most expensive seeds, but regardless I feel many see food plots as only being affordable by the well to do. And because of that they bait instead.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Bob+Er

I would agree, but many do not see it that way. Maybe it’s laziness, maybe it’s from watching too many hunting shows where they are using $50K tractors and the best equipment and most expensive seeds, but regardless I feel many see food plots as only being affordable by the well to do. And because of that they bait instead.

Im going to go with laziness. Too lazy to do the research and find out you can afford plant a food plot without fancy gear and expensive seed. As one guy mentioned, throw a farmer a little $ to leave some bean’s and corn up.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I am going with laziness also. Food plots have made a lot of so called self proclaimed deer hunters that couldn’t do it any other way. You know the type just look for the decals on their back windows of their vehicles. Easy to spot the wannabe jump on the bandwagon hunters.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: twdenney

I am going with laziness also. Food plots have made a lot of so called self proclaimed deer hunters that couldn’t do it any other way. You know the type just look for the decals on their back windows of their vehicles. Easy to spot the wannabe jump on the bandwagon hunters.

At some point we all jumped on the bandwagon 🙄

Participant
    Up
    Down

I would have to agree…I think a lot of hunters if not the majority have had the thought “man it would be great to make a living from hunting or fishing”. While few probably gave it a whirl its just not as easy as getting a video camera and planting a few plots and shooting a quality deer and throwing something together to put on tv….there is much more to it than that. Thankfully I think that mentality has subsided a bit and the bubble has burst with the fascination of being a Hunting Star…at least I hope so.

As for food plots, while they do and will help harvest deer, you still have to actually know what you are doing with them. Just because you throw some seed into the ground doesn’t mean it will benefit the deer or the hunter. Takes some knowledge and skill to plant, grow, and have a successfully placed food plot. And yes while it appears to many as being baiting I go by the regulation books and if it is legal I will do it. If something is illegal then I am a firm believer in not breaking the law.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I just got done eating my popcorn. Movie was a little boring like a Presidential debate. But still had a few interesting parts. I am going off the topic just a hair but someone mentioned the State Owning the Deer. I wish the Wording was better, a less arrogant feel to it. Those Deer they say they Own are Wild, Free and able to cross into other States. I just never like when I hear, The State Owns the Deer. Very Arrogant sounding. Just my Humble Opinion. 😆

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Yank

I just got done eating my popcorn. Movie was a little boring like a Presidential debate. But still had a few interesting parts. I am going off the topic just a hair but someone mentioned the State Owning the Deer. I wish the Wording was better, a less arrogant feel to it. Those Deer they say they Own are Wild, Free and able to cross into other States. I just never like when I hear, The State Owns the Deer. Very Arrogant sounding. Just my Humble Opinion. 😆

I haven’t recently looked at the exact wording of any statutes, but isn’t it really the people of the State of Iowa (or, in reality, the entire U.S.) that collectively own the deer? The government is supposed to be of the people, by the people, and for the people. So actions done by the State are supposed to be done based upon the interests of the people as a whole rather than for the State itself as a government entity. I mean, this isn’t a monarchy where the deer are owned by the King and/or Queen and we are mere serfs in the kingdom, right?! 😕

Participant
    Up
    Down

I don’t believe any of us Own the Deer! We have the right to Hunt them if we pay for that right. Very Glad we do, I love to Hunt them. I just don’t like the wording. These are Wild Animals that were here way before we were. It is a privilege to Hunt them and Eat them. To respect them at the same time. We don’t Own them.

Up
    Down

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I haven’t recently looked at the exact wording of any statutes, but isn’t it really the people of the State of Iowa (or, in reality, the entire U.S.) that collectively own the deer? The government is supposed to be of the people, by the people, and for the people. So actions done by the State are supposed to be done based upon the interests of the people as a whole rather than for the State itself as a government entity. I mean, this isn’t a monarchy where the deer are owned by the King and/or Queen and we are mere serfs in the kingdom, right?! 😕

The State does “own” the deer, ie. you, me and everyone else, including those that do not hunt or are anti-hunting. We give the power of regulation and control to those we elected to office. If you want to go Biblical, we do own the deer by having dominion over them.

Participant
    Up
    Down

It’s alright to have deer/archery/bone finder stickers on you back window. I like the humor.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I think any and all forms of baiting are clearly wrong. That said, I did build a staircase of salt-blocks to get to my stand but it’s all I had available when I set it up, tough times and all that.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: llewellinsetter

Quote by: TrapCyclone

The State does “own” the deer, ie. you, me and everyone else, including those that do not hunt or are anti-hunting. We give the power of regulation and control to those we elected to office. If you want to go Biblical, we do own the deer by having dominion over them.

Yup…. that’s what I was getting at earlier. You stated it better than I. Thanks.
    B)

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: aaronm

I would have to agree…I think a lot of hunters if not the majority have had the thought “man it would be great to make a living from hunting or fishing”. While few probably gave it a whirl its just not as easy as getting a video camera and planting a few plots and shooting a quality deer and throwing something together to put on tv….there is much more to it than that. Thankfully I think that mentality has subsided a bit and the bubble has burst with the fascination of being a Hunting Star…at least I hope so.

As for food plots, while they do and will help harvest deer, you still have to actually know what you are doing with them. Just because you throw some seed into the ground doesn’t mean it will benefit the deer or the hunter. Takes some knowledge and skill to plant, grow, and have a successfully placed food plot. And yes while it appears to many as being baiting I go by the regulation books and if it is legal I will do it. If something is illegal then I am a firm believer in not breaking the law.

Your last paragraph is spot on. Food plots is not the same as putting a pile of corn in front of your stand. There is a lot to growing successful plots than most think. For example it helps to know your soil and what to apply to that soil. Another one is if your PH is 5 and putting down fertilizer without adding lime you are basically throwing money away. Most of that fertilizer wont be used by the plants cause of the low PH. I have been planting food plots since 2008 and I’m far from being rich. I only use atv type equipment. I hunt 3 different farms with 2 of them having plots. On family ground I have planted hundreds of shrubs and trees beneficial to deer and other wildlife. Plus taking down junk trees to allow the sun to get to the ground. I been growing my fair share of Dunstan chestnuts from seed. If you plant the right seeds you can actually feed deer year round. I actually love everything to do with food plots and enjoy putting in the work. Keeps me in the woods which is good therapy.

twdenney I find your statement laughable and BS but that’s just me. In I have killed very small percentage of my deer over food plots. I prefer being in the woods. I truly believe in doing more than the neighbor but to each there own. To say the guys that plant plots and have stickers on there trucks re not good woodsman is bull!

Participant
    Up
    Down

I like stickers!

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.