Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting CWD

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    WhipWhip
    Participant

Good article on CWD. Here in Wyoming it has become unfortunately fairly common where I live. Last year 4 bucks were killed on my place and the biggest one tested positive for CWD. The Game and Fish has been tracking CWD here for the last 15 years after it was first discovered. The overall rate of CWD has gone up and down with older age class deer most likely to test positive. Currently we send in a lymph gland from the throat just under the jaw and within a week or two they send us results. The testing is free for any deer and elk taken in WY. I typically cut up my own deer and elk. I go ahead and cut steaks and freeze them. I debone the rest of the deer or elk and freeze the meat for grinding until I get the test results back. The Wyoming Game and Fish now recommends you not eat the meat from an infected animal. A new study last year showed that a species of monkey fed CWD infected meat did indeed develop CWD.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Whip Whip.

Whip

Participant

We have it here in Iowa now.

From what I understand, it came from infected deer that was transported here to a Game farm.

It’s is in the northern part of Wayne County and I hunt in the southern part of the county just above were it has been detected.

So I’m sure it won’t be long and we will see it there

WhipWhip
    Participant

I will bet it is more widespread than most hunters think it is. Since WY has expanded it’s testing program it has appeared in most of the state. Locally it has not impacted the overall deer numbers significantly from my observation.  But it has changed how I handle and consume deer and elk. Healthy appearing animals can be infected and you really can’t tell with out testing.

Whip

Participant

Whip, I totally agree, I believe during 1st & 2nd gun season they have check stations in the zones it has been detected.

I plan on having my deer checked next year

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.