Home Forums Miscellaneous Food Plot/Habitat Management Cultipacker substitutes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m finally working on building my own food plot and native grass area, and am getting ready to put in the 1st of the food plots soon. We will be disking, and I have read a cultipacker is the way to go to keep the seeds shallow. We don’t have one as of now but we have a harrow. I know a harrow will potentially make seeds too deep but wondered if anyone has used 1 in a flat position as an alternative or has any other ideas. Thanks in advance.

Participant

We are also getting ready to put in some food plots.  We disk and get all the weeds chewed up and leave it a day or 2 and then hit it with the disk again.  We don’t have a cultipacker either. We drag it and plant and drag it again and roll it with a yard roller.  We’ve had success doing it that way. Kind of time consuming but it’s worked.

jimneyjimney
    Participant

Excellent, thanks! That seems to be a common method I’ve been reading online. One friend who has done a lot of plots said if we know rain is coming, we should get the soil turned over and chewed up and spread the seed right before it rains. This year, that may be a challenge in southern Iowa, but I may look at that too. One other suggestion I saw was to use the 4 wheeler to flatten it a little if it’s a small plot. I also saw you can rent a yard roller pretty cheap at Menards though. I have a couple weeks to think about it since I sprayed it all down last night. I need to get the disk on and then the harrow. Thanks again!

Participant

You’re very welcome!  My brother might start on one of the plots this weekend.   Our other plot just got the water off of it from flooding so that’s going to be a bit.  Good luck to you! You’ll love the results of your plot!

jimneyjimney
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll post some pictures if I can get a decent stand.

jimneyjimney
    Participant

That southern Iowa drought made for a very slow start, but the rain has had perfect timing, or at least better late than never.  I have a lot of pictures, but I’m returning tonight, so I’m hopeful to get some more recent shots. The 7 Card Stud is tearing things up and is looking like it will be a great producer. I watered it with my homemade sprinkler, and I believe it helped give the seeds a head start. This past couple weeks, the Green Patch Plus (grains, clover, brassica), mixed with Slam Dunk (rape and radish) have gotten some moisture and are taking off.

Question for the group, if anyone reads this – Has anyone tried to make mixes with the bulk seed from Theissen’s? It appears they have a nice selection and it’s pretty affordable.  They also appear to have some perennial clovers, but I need to confirm that. I want a strip of clover along the creek that leads to my plots, on both sides.

jimneyjimney
    Participant

5th time is a charm with the pictures. Below are the two main plots. I have some strips between them but the heavy, green one is the 7 Card Stud. The second on is the other that I mixed. It is finally catching up since it wasn’t watered when seeded. The tiny grass seeds are starting to come up all over the area that had been previously sprayed, so I’m hopeful my plot can stay ahead of that this fall… I’ll re-spray and handle it next spring hopefully.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by jimney jimney.
    jimneyjimney
    Participant
    jimneyjimney
    Participant
    jimneyjimney
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.