Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Crunch, Crunch Leaves everywhere

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Just Sayin 😡

Participant
    Up
    Down

That generally happens in the woods this time of year! :mrgreen:

Participant
    Up
    Down

Agreed!! Makes it harder to be in stealth mode when going to/from the stand. 🙁

Participant
    Up
    Down

If your hunting private land just rake the trails you take to your stands that’s what my brother and I do then you can get in quietly and you don’t step on and break sticks.

bigbuck31ptbigbuck31pt
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Sure helps hearing the deer sneaking up behind you.

"In The Wind He's Still Alive" RIP Scott Ferris

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: bigbuck31pt

Sure helps hearing the deer sneaking up behind you.

and makes every squirrel sound like an elephant! :mrgreen:

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Of course, even if you see the offending squirrel, you keep looking in that direction just in case. I know I’ve seen a deer show up right behind a squirrel.

Which brings me to this point: squirrel hunting is an investment in sanity during deer season. :mrgreen:

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: docmudge

Of course, even if you see the offending squirrel, you keep looking in that direction just in case. I know I’ve seen a deer show up right behind a squirrel.

Which brings me to this point: squirrel hunting is an investment in sanity during deer season. :mrgreen:

The place I hunt is OVER-RUN with squirrels, the last time I was in the stand I counted 8 different ones at the same time! 8 squirrels all within 22 range at the same time really makes me want to break out the rifle and go sit one morning.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Hey, we are at the top of the food chain.. sooo walk like a squirrel.. a few steps at a time.. the noise will be natural to the deer.. wait then do it again.. it will work and not spook them…remember they are just an animal.. good hearing but try it…just dont trudge along…for a long time..

Participant
    Up
    Down

The place I hunt is OVER-RUN with squirrels, the last time I was in the stand I counted 8 different ones at the same time! 8 squirrels all within 22 range at the same time really makes me want to break out the rifle and go sit one morning.

Sounds like a great way to find a volunteer for your squirrel-skinning video. 😀 😀

Participant
    Up
    Down

Speaking of squirrels and deer hunting…. I have been wondering for a while… I know that you can not carry a gun while bow hunting for deer, but what if you were also squirrel hunting? I have been thinking that it would be nice to get one of those whisper quiet pellet guns to take out those tree rats to pass the time… Thoughts?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: speuboy

If your hunting private land just rake the trails you take to your stands that’s what my brother and I do then you can get in quietly and you don’t step on and break sticks.

I like this idea, but aren’t you going to have to rake every other day just to keep up? And aren’t you scaring deer away while raking and making a racket? Not being argumentative, just curious.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: dtschroed

Speaking of squirrels and deer hunting…. I have been wondering for a while… I know that you can not carry a gun while bow hunting for deer, but what if you were also squirrel hunting? I have been thinking that it would be nice to get one of those whisper quiet pellet guns to take out those tree rats to pass the time… Thoughts?

Here’s an idea — why not get some small game broadheads for some of your arrows and use that to nail some of the squirrels?! I am really tempted to try that myself.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have thought about an airsoft gun for squirrels. It might just PO them worse. Usually when they show up then the deer are in the area

Participant
    Up
    Down

Walleye Jim nailed it. Walk slowly, change your pace and wait in between steps. Stalk your stand is what I say to my self as I enter the woods. Take a deep breath before you enter and relax, slow steps and watch ahead. Give yourself enough time to get to stand. Leaving your stand is almost a important as entering!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: bigA

I like this idea, but aren’t you going to have to rake every other day just to keep up? And aren’t you scaring deer away while raking and making a racket? Not being argumentative, just curious.

How about just bagging the leaves on your mower on the way in. At ,east it might be clear on the way out. Lol 😀

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: bigA

I leave a rake in the woods and rake on my way out or on really windy noisy days don’t do it everyday but it definitely helps get you in quiet.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.