Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Crows help defeat boredom

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Crow season ends March 31 so I decided to hang out in my hunting area the last few weekends and see if any crows were dumb enough to land within 300 yards of me while I was sitting in the truck parked out near my tree stand and I’ve had a few unfortunate ones decide to test their fate the last few weeks. Here’s one that decided to land in a tree about 200 yards out when I had my Savage 6BR with me.

I’ve had a few more that tested their fate while I had my 6X45 with me and the 70gr Sierras did a nice job on a few of them as well, I just didn’t bother walking out to get them to take pics. I smoked one about 150 yards out and another one about 175 yards out so I’m pretty pleased with the accuracy of the 6X45.

I’m sure I’ll be out this w/e as well for a few hours and I might even get my crow decoys out and take out the caller and see how many I can get to come in. I should have my new 20 Practical upper and a few rounds loaded up for it using some 32 and 40 grain ballistic tips and at 3800-4000fps they should do a number on them crows if I can connect. 😈

Participant

It’s not very often someone on this site actually admits to wanton waste. Nice work. I understand that crows aren’t exactly a trophy species but they deserve the same respect as any other game animal.

Participant

Quote by: topH20terror

Crow season ends March 31 so I decided to hang out in my hunting area the last few weekends and see if any crows were dumb enough to land within 300 yards of me while I was sitting in the truck parked out near my tree stand and I’ve had a few unfortunate ones decide to test their fate the last few weeks. Here’s one that decided to land in a tree about 200 yards out when I had my Savage 6BR with me.

I’ve had a few more that tested their fate while I had my 6X45 with me and the 70gr Sierras did a nice job on a few of them as well, I just didn’t bother walking out to get them to take pics. I smoked one about 150 yards out and another one about 175 yards out so I’m pretty pleased with the accuracy of the 6X45.

I’m sure I’ll be out this w/e as well for a few hours and I might even get my crow decoys out and take out the caller and see how many I can get to come in. I should have my new 20 Practical upper and a few rounds loaded up for it using some 32 and 40 grain ballistic tips and at 3800-4000fps they should do a number on them crows if I can connect. 😈

I’m assuming you got out of the vehicle to shoot? And made sure there was a good backstop behind your elevated targets?

Participant

Two replies and both of them accusing the OP of rules infractions! Never fails!

I’ve thought about crow hunting as well as it seems like a good way to exercise the shooting abilities. I don’t have any wildcat calibers but I think my 223 AR would do just fine. Thanks for sharing.

Participant

Shoot’m up, just make sure you have a back stop.

Participant

Quote by: MisterTwoForty

Two replies and both of them accusing the OP of rules infractions! Never fails!

I’ve thought about crow hunting as well as it seems like a good way to exercise the shooting abilities. I don’t have any wildcat calibers but I think my 223 AR would do just fine. Thanks for sharing.

When the OP specifically states he didn’t bother walking out to get the birds it’s not exactly and empty accusation to suggest wanton waste. This really isn’t about accusing anyone of doing anything or initiating an argument but if someone on this site posted that they had shot two turkeys and didn’t bother walking out to get them, everyone on this site would jump on the post so how is that different from the crows. Generally as posters on this site, topH2O included, we hold ourselves to a higher standard than a lot of “outdoorsmen” that we’ve all encountered in the field that go out just to shoot stuff up. Thousands of posts are made every year discussing ethics, morals and unwritten rules that we strive to follow so that we can all enjoy our time afield with respect and reverence for all things we encounter there from other hunters up to and including the lowly crow.

I appreciate the people on all hunting/fishing/trapping forums who do know wrong and are right there to call out EVERYONE. Just because you werent selected by the DNR to be a warden…stop pretending to be one.

Participant

From this point forwards lets talk about crows and leave the other discussion alone or start your own topic. Further comments to the negative will be removed.

Thank you,

HG

Participant

I’ll never understand that whole long range thing. I prefer a shotgun and a crow call myself. whatever floats yur boat a guess……………

Participant

When does the season close? I would imagine that this is the type of hunting that most farmers would be willing to allow permission for.

Participant

Quote by: MisterTwoForty

When does the season close? I would imagine that this is the type of hunting that most farmers would be willing to allow permission for.

March 31st

Participant

That’s some good shooten. That is one small target at 200yds for sure. Congrats, and thanks for sharing.

Participant

In all seriousness is there an actual way to prepare crow to eat? Due to their diet I’m not sure I could stomach one.

Participant

And…now its locked 🙄

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.