Crossbow Research2018-12-07T22:27:51-05:00

Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Crossbow Research

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve never owned and have had very little exposure to crossbows, but have been wanting one for target shooting, small game around my place, and probably some predator calling.  And maybe a late season deer for the freezer from time to time also.

I’ve been looking at the Wicked Ridge Invader (by TenPoint) and the c-o-cking device options for it have a wide price spread.  the acudraw 50 that lowers the draw weight by 50% is around $100 when included in a package deal, and the acudraw model that uses a lever and lowers draw weight to 5lbs is a $200 add to the cost of the crossbow package.

Is something like that worth it, over a rope c-o-cker???  Does it matter more if I’m doing a lot of target shooting, where the acudraw would make a big difference after a hundred or two bolts have traveled downrange?

And I’m certainly open to any other crossbow recommendations or advice.  As I said, I’m just getting into crossbows and welcome all advice!

thanks,

scruffy

papadudepapadude
    Participant

scruffy due to two broken shoulders  and a large hole in my right arm I finally had to go to a crossbow a couple of years ago. Just could not draw the Mathews back any more. I decided at my age I only wanted to buy one and have it last the rest of my life, so I bought a Ten Point Stealth XX . Very good unit and it is extremely accurate out to 50 yards,  most of my shots are 30 yards or less. I did get the acu draw on mine and found It to be a very wise choice. I have tried to draw and co-ck mine with standard c-o-cking ropes and could not do it. It was harder than drawing my compound. My brother bought the Wicked Ridge Invader (by TenPoint) and he has no problem co-cking it with the standard c-o-cking ropes. He is totally happy with it.

To compare the crossbow to the compound is tough to do the crossbow is more accurate for the average guy but more cumbersome to handle in a tree stand and sitting a few hours with one in hand wears on you. Overall I think the added accuracy  would lower the number of deer hit and not recovered because of poor shot placement . I know many people are against them, kind of like we were when compounds came out and took over the recurves. But after having to go to one or give up bow hunting I can say I think they are here to stay.

OlefartOlefart
    Participant

I’ve taken 14 head of deer and 4 turkeys with my Excalibur Equilnox 225# cross bow. I still can cock it with the rope cocker, but it is becoming a chore. I had a Ten point compound bow to start with after my shoulder injury. Nice bow but got to be expensive to maintain, had to take it back to bow shop every two years to have cables and string replaced. 60 mile round trip and more if you had to leave it. I purchase the string replacement devise and a couple new stings, from Excalibur and can maintain my bow at home now. Excalibur makes a supper tough, and very accurate bow. Due to age and health reasons I ‘ve had to quit deer hunting, and have my bow and accessories up for sale. Anyone interested give me a call at 563-299-5364.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Thanks for the info!!!

Oh, I should have also asked, what are the triggers on the TenPoint crossbows like?  I haven’t really seen any mention of that in the reviews, which I would guess is a good thing.  I see the safety’s are swappable for me being a lefty, so that’s goodness.

and another dumb question…  but how do you let the crossbow down say after a hunt to put back in the case???

And what is customary, do you draw it when you get out of the vehicle and walk in with it drawn?  Or c-o-ck it in the tree stand or wherever you’re hunting?  I usually stalk into a spot so would need it c-o-cked for that, but then guessing you’d de-c-o-ck it to get into the stand, and not sure how you de-c-ock it, but maybe you just pull out the arrow?

thanks

scruffy

OlefartOlefart
    Participant

On the Excalibur I used the cocking rope to uncock the bow before climbing into tree stand. Once situated I recocked the bow. On the Excalibur you can use the stringing device to release the string and remove it from bow and let the bow rest during the off season. Fairly simple to restring for hunting or practice. Another feature I like about Excalibur bows, is that you can shoot any length of arrow from 18″ to 22″ a minor scope adjustment is warranted for different arrow speed and weight. I always carried an extra string in my pack so as to have a spare in case string gets damaged. Have replaced one while in tree stand a few years back. Saved adays hunt and a trip to bow shop. I like the recurve style crossbow for its simplicity and ease of maintenance. 350 FPS arrow speed is more than enough to take any animal. IMO.

WhipWhip
    Participant
    • I bought two older crossbows in 2005. I quickly learned how much heavier they are. I hunted elk (no luck) and moose with it. Here in WY when I started you couldn’t use any mechanical device to cock the bow for hunting so it limited lbs. I carried a field tip bolt and would shoot it into the ground or Target at my truck. A pain but easier than decocking by hand. It was accurate to 60 yards but rangefinder was really necessary a little change in  distance makes a big difference. These new crossbows are really high tech and high priced. I gave $200 for a Horton and another can’t remember brand in 2005.

Whip

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

I use the Carbon Express release bolt to unload my bow .  https://www.feradyne.com/crossbow-release-bolt/

I use a rope co-cker rather than the crank handle.  I have found that most manufacturer’s cranks make way too much noise.  Last thing I want after I sneak into my tree stand is click,  click,  click,  click,  click using the crank handle.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!