Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Crossbow Research

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve never owned and have had very little exposure to crossbows, but have been wanting one for target shooting, small game around my place, and probably some predator calling.  And maybe a late season deer for the freezer from time to time also.

I’ve been looking at the Wicked Ridge Invader (by TenPoint) and the c-o-cking device options for it have a wide price spread.  the acudraw 50 that lowers the draw weight by 50% is around $100 when included in a package deal, and the acudraw model that uses a lever and lowers draw weight to 5lbs is a $200 add to the cost of the crossbow package.

Is something like that worth it, over a rope c-o-cker???  Does it matter more if I’m doing a lot of target shooting, where the acudraw would make a big difference after a hundred or two bolts have traveled downrange?

And I’m certainly open to any other crossbow recommendations or advice.  As I said, I’m just getting into crossbows and welcome all advice!

thanks,

scruffy

Daniel-JDaniel-J
    Participant

The first crossbow I made myself as a child, it was quite good, but it didn’t serve me long, still, a tree is a tree. It’s hard to recommend a particular brand or model, in my case what I have now is a model made to order, to break it is almost not real, but the cost I think you understand.

You need my friend at the shooting range and try as many options as you can. They all have different characteristics and I think the selection of the crossbow is individual for everyone.

cowboycowboy
    Participant

Here we go again.

OlefartOlefart
    Participant

I started crossbow deer hunting, after a cycle accident injured my shoulder 20 yrs ago. My first bow was a Horton compound style bow, killed several deer with it. Sold it after five seasons because it was a pain to have to take it back to a bow shop to have cables and string replaced, and cost of maintenance. Replaced it with a Excalibur 225 draw Equinox recurve. Shot it for 10 seasons. Loved the fact I could replace string, myself at home and even did it once in the tree stand, when a branch frayed the string. Just as fast as most compounds, and could shoot three different length arrows, 18″-22″. Took 14 head of deer and 4 turkeys with it before I got to old to climb trees.

Participant

Hey Scruff its been a long time…  I had shoulder surgery on my labrum, rotator cuff, and AC joint in May of 2019.  I got my permanent crossbow license a short time afterwards.

You can spend as little or as much on a crossbow as you want, and they range from the ready to hunt (RTH) Carbon Express combo I bought on Black Friday for $199 up to over $2,000.  I am very happy with the unit I bought, and it shoots 2-3″ groups out to 50 yards off my trigger sticks.  I haven’t shot it farther than that yet.  This RTH combo came with 3- 20″ bolts, scope, and de-c-o-c-k-ing rope.  The fore end and the stock are also adjustable on picatinny style rails, and it is very nice to be able to adjust to your preferred reach and length of pull.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/carbon-express-x-force-blade-rth-crossbow-package

https://youtu.be/73dhzlxrb4s

I shot my first buck with it this year using NAP spitfire crossbow heads.  The shot was 7 yards and the recovery was about 50.  The bolt passed through the buck and stuck in the ground past the nock.   After digging it out of the dirt, unfortunately the head and bolt were a total loss; breaking in 3 places.

I did a lot of research on crossbows before I went with this unit.  My train of thought was even if this one didn’t work out, I would still be money ahead if I had to buy a different one.  So far, it has been a pleasure to shoot, and I am looking forward to next season.

My father in law has been laying deer down with an Excalibur recurve crossbow for 10 or more years now.  The only drawback to his is that the recurve limbs require a much wider front end.  The compound bows can be much more compact and slightly easier to maneuver in treestands.  If you’re hunting from blinds, this is not as big a deal.

Participant

Hey Scruff, it’s been a long time.  I tried replying once, and my message didn’t go through.  I was in the same place as you after shoulder surgery in May of 2019.  I picked up this ready to hunt combo on Black Friday for $199.  It has been a great shooter, and is capable of 2-3″ groups at 50 yards from my trigger stick.

https://youtu.be/73dhzlxrb4s

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/carbon-express-x-force-blade-rth-crossbow-package

The Excalibur recurve models are proven and great shooters.  Their only drawback is that the recurve limbs create a much wider and forward heavy crossbow that is less maneuverable in treestands.  This is not an issue from the ground.

Good luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.