Home Forums Miscellaneous Gardening Crabgrass and weed killing and grass question

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Go to D & K in Des Moines tell them what you want & they will fix you up
    http://www.dkturf.com/

Participant

upon further inspection its Nutsedge. So looks like WAR is the answer! time to kill it!

Participant

Anyone able to post a photo for me. I have a pic saved in my email and Id like to confirm the type of weed this is before I nuke the yard.

Participant

Nutsedge has a triangular base and round up wont touch it. Like the the other poster said you need sedge hammer or something that is meant for sedges. Basagran makes a sedge killer that works better for me than sedge hammer. the stuff im referring to kills sedges and not clover or grasses.

Participant

Sedge hammer is what I am going to get I got a confirmation that its sedge. THANKS GUYS,

Participant

Quote by: iceking25

Sedge hammer is what I am going to get I got a confirmation that its sedge. THANKS GUYS,

I believe you might have to spray at least 2 times to get it all. The stuff I used is called basagran sedge control by southern Ag. I got on DO YOUR OWN PEST CONTROL.COM Its a 8 oz bottle but it goes a long ways. I think you will notice sedge hammer doesn’t do a whole lot unless you spend the money for control of an acre. Just thought I would mention this incase you can’t find sedge hammer. For me it wasn’t as effective as the basagran stuff.

Participant

What’s the difference between trimec and 2-4-D

Participant

Price $$ you get what you pay for depending on what type of Trimec it will have % of 2 4 D in it and up to a few other ingredients to attack selective undesirables fancy label and name a star is born. Straight low vol ester 2 4 D works well all by itself at a fraction of cost .

Blocked

Grazon P+D will outperform any Trimec product or any 2-4-D product hands down guaranteed. NO COMPARISON! But you must have commercial applicators license to obtain it legally. Try it it will turn clover, dandelion, and creeping charley black in 12 hours. Only need to use it every other year.

Blocked

Grazon P+D will outperform any Trimec product or any 2-4-D product hands down guaranteed. NO COMPARISON! But you must have commercial applicators license to obtain it legally. Try it it will turn clover, dandelion, and creeping charley black in 12 hours. Only need to use it every other year.

alan_50501alan_50501
    Participant

I heard if you let you grass grow taller and cut it high don’t remove more theN 1/3 of the grass blade it will grow better and crowd out so your yard will not get weeds…I am trying it this year with my own yard…I mowed last year at 3″ moved it to 4″this year… Also switch mowing patterns don’t always mow the same way…

Fort dodge

Blocked

True. Taller grass shades out weeds. Also is better for the grass plant in general….more green plant more opportunity for photosynthesis. Lawns do better mowed long and have a more unique look but it is not what we are accustomed to or are taught to think looks nice.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.