Home Forums Miscellaneous Gardening Crabgrass and weed killing and grass question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I live in central Iowa, I am curious am I to late for grab grass preventer? I like keeping my lawn weed free.

Also I have a few spots in my yard where a longer grass will grow its not like the other grass either it seems courser and off color.
    Possible Nutsedge or quack grass. How do I kill it?

Participant

Sounds like you need some Trimec.

Participant

Trimec is the BOMB. I defeated creeping charlie with it.

Participant

I’m not sure if its too late for crab grass preventer but Trimec won’t kill the other type of grass that you have popping up in spots. It will only get the broadleafs.

Participant

Thanks E Fork, I will have to dig those spots out by hand then.

Participant

I’m went through the same thing. I planted my yard 2 years ago and am now having some clover wanting to take over in a few spots. The first year I had that other grass popping up all over. Everytime time I went outside I’d try to go to one area and pull out as much of that ugly grass as I could. It kinda sucked but it’s definitely looking a lot better now. I just sprayed Trimec last night to wipe out the clover and other stuff, but am still pulling out some of that gass in spots.

Participant
    Participant

put down the crabgrass preventer asap. it is a pre-emergence herbicide, as long as the crabgrass hasn’t germinated yet you should be fine. it wont do a thing the other grasses though.

Participant

Thanks Asgrow. I hadn’t seen that type of Trimec before. I think I’ll be investing in some of that.

Participant

Quote by: e.fork-walleye

Thanks Asgrow. I hadn’t seen that type of Trimec before. I think I’ll be investing in some of that.

It is good stuff!

Participant

With it being so early in the season, the tall coarse grass is not likely any type of crab grass, but it is likely tall fescue. And unfortunately because it is so closely related to all the other fescue grasses, there isn’t much you can do to be rid of tall fescue other than dig up and reseed the spot with a desired grass.

Participant

In reality you should do both. You should be putting down the pre-emergent in the early spring. This catches most of the weeds but not all of them. You can then spray with Trimec later in the year when the weeds come back, they will come back.

I believe Q4 will kill crabgrass but not your regular grass.

FYI you can only use Trimec a few times a summer. You have to give the grass sometime to rest, if you put to much down you will kill your grass. My neighbor killed 2 acres of grass two summers back. His yard is finally starting to look decent again.

Participant

If you have Nut sedge, use sedge hammer. Spot spray the areas that have it and it will kill it all. It is good stuff and has worked well for me.

Participant

I get a product made by Bayer, its crabgrass/broad leaf killer. They either sell it in concentrated (you mix it up) or ready to use that attaches to a garden hose.
    Trimec is really good stuff, I use it for spot spraying only.

Participant

The stuff on the store shelf is overpriced weak solutions find a certified applicator for better products. Put the pre emergent down asap . Trimec is great for broadleaf . Q 4 is great for undesirable grasses . Fall is a effective time to spot attack the persistent undesirables.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.