Home Forums Trapping / Fur Handling Trapping Coyote trapping on ice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Been watching alot of youtube lately and really interested in trapping on the ice when the ponds are frozen. Has anyone ever tried this , any luck, input ect. Just looking for another way to trap yotes when the ground is frozen. Thanks in advance

Coonsqualler
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ve have tried it with some success but i would not say anymore that a standard flat or dirt hole. I’ve had the best luck when there is snow on the ice. I think the disturbed snow creates a good visual attractant. If the pond is in a low spot as they usually are, I recommend a strong call lure or gland lure to draw them in. I tend to use more gland lure since these are typically late season sets.

KeokukCoboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

How far down would you bed the trap from the top of the hole? Also would you use a drag in this set up?..Thanks

Coonsqualler
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I do these just like other sets with the trap approximately 6 inches back from where I put my bait /lure. Trap is bedded same depth as any set I put in the ground with the goal being to have it level with the surrounding ground or ice. I bed mine with wax dirt and then either toss a little more dirt around to blend or sift snow over the top, whichever seems more appropriate for the situation. Generally I am running these close to the bank with some natural feature for backing, either a clump of grass or rushes or a little brush. I’ve heard of setting them near rat houses but never have. Never been a fan of drags so i still use disposable anchors. Usually berkshires will still go through the ice and if not I’ll use a drill bit to bore into the ice to make a pilot hole and then pound a bullet point anchor into it until it goes through the ice. Good luck!

KeokukCoboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Coonsqualler, I appreciate your advice and will be giving this a shot this year. Going to be another learning experience for sure. Thanks again for your help and hope you have a grate season.

Coonsqualler
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Glad to help…best of luck this season!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.