Home Forums Trapping / Fur Handling Trapping Coyote population

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I spent a fair amount of the last couple weeks on the road visiting family/hunting waterfowl. In my travels I counted at least 5 dead coyotes along the highways. Has there been some sort of population explosion this year?? Just curious. It was just odd seeing that many in my travels around the state. Most of them were NW Iowa.

Participant

I get pictures of coyotes regularly on trail cams but I don’t think any more than usual.
    I have noticed my squirrel population is way down this year?

Participant

Talked to guy in Scheels, Sioux city today. Said he sold 2 yotes , $15 and $25. I have noticed an uptick in roadkill too.

Participant

We haven’t had much snow the past few years here in south central part of the state which kept the truck hunters out of the fields for the most part. I believe that boost our population up a bit. I’ve had several calls this year from farmers that want me to help them out in getting rid of them in their area. Even had some Amish folks wanting some help.Starting to become a crazy year.

Participant

Absolute ton of them here in SW IA. Cant keep up on killing them.

Participant

This year hasn’t been the best for getting yotes with good fur,at least for me that is.They are plentiful but the quality sucks. So far I had three that had mange so bad that they were disposed of. Some I did skin out had no guard hair to speak of or had some guard hair with a small rub in the back. My furs just dont look as good as they have been in the past. I guess Saturday will tell the whole story when I go to sell a few of them. Hope everyone is having a good year.

Participant

Quote by: iamike304

Where you at in sw iowa? In council bluffs and it’s been rough

Participant

Quote by: KeokukCoboy

This year hasn’t been the best for getting yotes with good fur,at least for me that is.They are plentiful but the quality sucks. So far I had three that had mange so bad that they were disposed of. Some I did skin out had no guard hair to speak of or had some guard hair with a small rub in the back. My furs just dont look as good as they have been in the past. I guess Saturday will tell the whole story when I go to sell a few of them. Hope everyone is having a good year.

Been trying to trap one and getting zilch. At least you are having some luck!

Participant

How about Eastern Iowa? Any luck?

3.5 tens3.5 tens
    Participant

Quote by: jrbert

How about Eastern Iowa? Any luck?

ELMA IOWA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I have always had a soft spot in my heart for marshes. They challenge me to come and look. Their capacity for mothering wild life is far greater than the drier uplands, no matter how beautiful they may be. It seems to me that no man is closer to the beginning of things and the eternal motherhood of the outdoors than when he is familiar with a marsh."

Participant

Quote by: svridersv

I am in CB as well. Been hunting them near PJ/Glenwood. Cant keep up. Ordered some traps recently, getting everything together to start trapping them for the first time. I have been calling them/shooting them from late summer all the way through deer season. Probably put 12-15 down since September, and not even making a dent. Trail cams are still full of them. They are out at 8-11am in the landowners yard on a regular basis still.

stick500stick500
    Participant

what do you think is causing them to be less healthy than usual?

Participant

I wish I had the answer. Saturday morning I shot another one and sold it in the carcass with a bunch I had already skinned and only got five bucks for it. What I am reading on the internet (for what its worth)it may be lice. When skinning them out, alot of them have round dark spots that look like old double 00 buckshot wounds. Apparently this is a good way to come to the conclusion on them having lice at one time or another. On checking the fur I haven’t came across any except the normal bugs that are usually on them. I dont know,hopefully we get some colder weather so the might snap out of this. Could just be the area Im in.

kelkel
    Participant

Quote by: stick500

Wondering if the warmer weather are allowing the less healthy ones to live longer. On a normal winter maybe they would of already been dead? Also no cold I believe would have an impact on the furs not being prime yet?

Participant

Quote by: svridersv

I am in CB as well. Been hunting them near PJ/Glenwood. Cant keep up. Ordered some traps recently, getting everything together to start trapping them for the first time. I have been calling them/shooting them from late summer all the way through deer season. Probably put 12-15 down since September, and not even making a dent. Trail cams are still full of them. They are out at 8-11am in the landowners yard on a regular basis still.

Nice. I haven’t really tried to hard yet. Waiting for duck and deer season to get over. I head to Wyoming for 6 days starting the 27th to hunt coyotes, but plan to get after them when I get back. If you need any help send me a message and we can team up on them.

Do I know you? Chris Haynes.
    Haven’t found too many people around CB that hunt coyotes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.