Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Coyote behaviors

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Some already know, some don’t

Most coyotes spend the majority on their time on the down-wind slopes. Whether hunting, playing or milling around. While there, they often pan around to their down & cross-wind areas. Most coyotes prefer a view to those areas. As they use their scenting ability & hearing to cover the up-wind areas. Which are often hidden from their view. Most coyotes are on the move towards dusk. Bedding down the next am around pre-sunrise to around 9-10am. I’ve seen it hundreds of times. So that is pretty much a given. Very few coyotes are on the move after 11am.

When a pair is bedded down. The female on average is more wary than her mate is. Who knows why that is. But she is most often the last of the two. To relax & curl up for a nap. They are very light sleepers. I call is “resting” vs sleeping. Un-like that of most Red Fox who are often heavy sleepers. Dismissing many ambient sounds. Coyotes rather than Red fox are most observant to an ambient sound within earshot. I’ve watched them resting in my scope hundreds of times. When they were resting & they picked up a distant noise. I’ve seen one ear, then both ears pivot towards that distant sound. When both ears pivot, they will raise thier head for a look. When they rise up from thier bedding spot. That noise has deffinately got thier full attention.

Having stalked in on many “sleepers” I avoid crossing over a “pressed” top wire on a barb fence.  As that can telegraph a squeak for a long ways. I cross under a fence in a low spot vs cross over the top wire. Or use a gap between corner posts.

Whether I’m stalking one or walking into an area to call. I stealth into that section like a stalking cat. Watching where I plant each step. To avoid casting any loud crunch or snap under foot. Keys to the hunt is. To overcome their scenting ability, hearing & eye-sight. Once that is obtained. The rest falls on my shooting ability.

• This topic was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatarcoydog.
    Participant

I would take a spot and stalk hunt any day over calling them. My problem down here in Keokuk Co. is I have to many hills brushy draws and tons of CRP where they will bed down.  Not saying that we never catch them bedded down in an open area in the middle of a section because I have but unfortunately the times are few. It seems that when I get north of I-80. its a whole different ball game. A lot more open area where I get to hunt and they seem to be bedded in open areas more up there. Its hard to describe a spot and stalk hunt to a predator hunter whos never seen it done. once hes spotted and you leave to park the vehicle out of sight you might never see that dog again till you pull the trigger. Crawling the last few yards in a foot of snow as you crest the last hill to still see him sleeping can really get the adrenalin pumping.

Participant

I would take a spot and stalk hunt any day over calling them. My problem down here in Keokuk Co. is I have to many hills brushy draws and tons of CRP where they will bed down. Not saying that we never catch them bedded down in an open area in the middle of a section because I have but unfortunately the times are few. It seems that when I get north of I-80. its a whole different ball game. A lot more open area where I get to hunt and they seem to be bedded in open areas more up there. Its hard to describe a spot and stalk hunt to a predator hunter whos never seen it done. once hes spotted and you leave to park the vehicle out of sight you might never see that dog again till you pull the trigger. Crawling the last few yards in a foot of snow as you crest the last hill to still see him sleeping can really get the adrenalin pumping.

I averaged out some yrs back. Out of a 10 day time lot. One day out of ten, do I spot a coyote(s) laying out in the open. Red Fox sightings are even more rare. Because they are often “holed-up”. I recall I’ve had 2 days where I’ve seen 11 canines. A mix of both coyotes & Red Fox. Best days for “spotting” Are 1-2 days after a storm. When the wind is out of a Northerly direction & the Sun is shining(no blowing snow). Temps mostly being in or around freezing. Neither canine, likes blowing snow or high winds. Worth noting, the higher the wind. Both canines, when bedded down. They will face to the down-wind direction, text book. So a hunter walking in with the wind in his/her face. Is already behind the eight ball. Because any canine up ahead. Will be “most likely” be facing them. Not good. I walk in on the cross-wind, or angled cross-wind. Whether calling or spot/stalking

Participant

some really great advice for new predator hunters.    would be great to get more input  from all over the state. also a good refresher to seasoned but part time hunters.   keep it going guys.

Participant

some really great advice for new predator hunters. would be great to get more input from all over the state. also a good refresher to seasoned but part time hunters. keep it going guys.

I’m going on 55 yrs, hunting Iowa’s predators, gsgramps. I do not mind at all. Sharing what I have learned from them. A hunter learns very little, from a dead predator.

Participant

Little off your thread here E.V  hope you don’t mind. I had to go to Keota today and on the way over there I spot two coyotes about 2oo yds off the highway. It must be breeding season as one was laying down and the other one was circling. After about 2 minutes I continued my trip. On the way back to Sigourney , about 45 minutes later. They are still there, both standing up so I pull the truck over and watch them circle each other. I found it strange that it didn’t bother them that I was there. Which leads me to the conclusion of  that female being in heat at this time. Anyway interesting morning for me.

Participant

Little off your thread here E.V hope you don’t mind. I had to go to Keota today and on the way over there I spot two coyotes about 2oo yds off the highway. It must be breeding season as one was laying down and the other one was circling. After about 2 minutes I continued my trip. On the way back to Sigourney , about 45 minutes later. They are still there, both standing up so I pull the truck over and watch them circle each other. I found it strange that it didn’t bother them that I was there. Which leads me to the conclusion of that female being in heat at this time. Anyway interesting morning for me.

I think it’s been around 8-10yrs now since I even tried for one. Even back then I only killed a few. The older I get. The more I just enjoy observing them. I have observed many hundreds of them. One time I spotted one sitting amongst some rolling hills. 1/2 mile away from me to my due North. Wind was from due North & the coyote was facing due East. Something had it’s attention. So I panned to it’s East. There about a quarter mile away from it. Slogged an old coyote hunter on snowshoes. Working his way towards the coyote. Right before the hunter topped the last hill top to see that coyote. That coyote would cross over the next hill to that hunter’s West. Then sit down & wait for that hunter to get close again. I sat there laughing. As the old hunter, I’m sure. Thought he had the upper hand. After some time I moved on. Some hunters underestimate their hearing ability.  It is top shelf & you had best be like a cat & stealth in. Or it’s game over before it has even started.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.