Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

I met a farmer recently. We discussed coyotes on the gravel road where we met. He told me an old farmer he knew. Hit & killed a large dark rust/brown colored coydog. On the Heartland black top around 15yrs ago. He said he seen a pic of it & it was very large. That old farmer took it to a nearby fur buyer. The fur buyer guy told the old man it was a coydog.  It just so happens, that is around the same time era give or take a few yrs. I stopped seeing the large dark rusty brown coydog over near State Center area. I presume the dead canine was him. He was huge & had a paw track around 4″ long. That large canine was paired up with a much smaller gray coyote. What was odd about the coydog’s track was. The two outer toe pads of the front paws. Were completely round.

Anonymous
    Up
    Down

Where was this? It is my understanding that the coydog is reproducing rapidly in the northeastern US/Quebec but I would like to hear more locally.

coydog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Area was NorEast of State Center, Iowa. A few miles.

coydog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ve hunted the area between Marshalltown, Iowa & State Center since 1964. I’ve seen a few other coydogs in that area over those yrs. 2 of which could’ve been a wolf. As they were extremely large. But I never made a positive ID on. Circa; 1983 hunting NorEst of State Center. I had one of my brothers & his girlfriend along. We seen coyotes that day. But the last 2 canines we seen was an all gold coydog paired up with a mousy grey coyote. I est the coydog was pushing the 50 lb marker. He had a very large chest & thick neck. His head was broad with a broad muzzle. His ears were med length. But came to a point like an arrow head. He had a short thick puff ball tail. My bro stalked in on the the pr. He missed the male & I connected on him as he ran my way. I knocked him down hard & he couldn’t get up. I thought I’ll quickly go pick up my bro on the gravel road. As I backed down the long hill back towards the downed coydog. He suddenly got to his feet & hauled A**. I tracked him 3/4 mile to an abandoned farm. Where he crawled under an old machine shed. He lost blood the whole way. I regret not finishing him off when I had the chance. My 223 went through his chest quartering. The exit wound must’ve been large. Because he left chunks of lung on the snow where he was downed. I neglected my own rule on that hunt. “Just because they are down. Doesn’t mean they are for good”.  Anyway back in the 70’s. There were many breeders in Iowa. Who crossed coyotes with domestic dogs & wolves with domestic dogs. Those breeders would sell the off spring. Does hybrid breeding occur in the wild? It does, but is very rare.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by coydog.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by coydog.
    Oldbear
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Ev I never thought of it as a coydog but it may have been.  Very large coyote was caught in my beaver snare about 1 mile East and 2 1/2 North of State Center 3 years ago.  So also just South of the Heartland.  I referred to it as my wolf it was that large.  Of course as we both  know there was a pair of real wolf mix in the  neihborhood that the owner would let out to graze at times.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

coydog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Ev I never thought of it as a coydog but it may have been. Very large coyote was caught in my beaver snare about 1 mile East and 2 1/2 North of State Center 3 years ago. So also just South of the Heartland. I referred to it as my wolf it was that large. Of course as we both know there was a pair of real wolf mix in the neihborhood that the owner would let out to graze at times.

Did you happen to take a pic of it, Steve?

Winter of 82? I think it was. I was out on West Main near SC. I spotted a large coyote bedded in a draw out near the 1/2 mile fence line. I snuck in & killed him. He weighed 50lb’s. what was odd about his markings was. He had a dark blue ring around both eyes. I’ve never seen the color blue on any coyote I’ve killed.

On another hunt 2 miles NorWest of SC a few miles. I had a young guy along, (a member on here). We seen a long haired shaggy looking coyote that a farm tractor kicked up. Canine looked to be a cross between a long haired collie(Lassie) & a coyote. Canine bolted when it seen us. Never laid eyes on it again. Same Winter I ran across a trapper from the New Providence area in the same exact area were we seen the shaggy coyote. I mentioned seeing that coydog to him. He said he seen it one Winter up around New Providence area. Coydog, his/her body hair I bet was at least 6″ long & flowed in the wind. Odd looking critter.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.