Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Couldn’t resist

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I couldn’t resist what I thought was a slam dunk shot.

Last Friday morning, I heard bucks fighting but couldn’t see them. A doe comes flying under my stand from the direction of the fight, so I figured the winner of the scrum would follow. The area was thick with honeysuckle, lots of leaves still on, so vision was limited. Looked down and saw a buck in an opening at ten yards, he was panting hard, so I assumed he was one of the bucks in the fight. He turns broadside starting to leave, draw, put the pins on his last rib on my side as he is starting to quarter away, hit the release. He moves off oddly normal, no mule kick. I wait a half hour, climb down, find the arrow stuck in the ground, covered in good blood. Start the tracking, find a couple of large splashes within the first ten yards, one full of froth/bubbles. I call Julie to come help track, told her to bring clothes as I figured I’d get hot in the insulated camo coveralls while dragging. It takes her maybe 30 minutes to arrive, I change clothes, we hit the trail.

Well, the blood trail was pretty consistent but not splashing. The buck crossed a creek, we cross and keep tracking, jump him and he crossed back over. We cross back and pick up the trail again. He is going through nasty tangles of multiflora rose and russian olive. We are taking things slow, being methodical in the tracking. At noon, he takes us by a wild apple tree where we pick a couple to eat. I tell Julie that I’ve never seen a well hit deer make it that far and be found.

We get back on the track. At 1:45 pm, we see him on the ground ahead of us. I put an arrow in the left side of his ribcage. He jumps up and bolts off. We wait 10 minutes, pick up the trail. I see him again down on the trail ahead of us. I angle an arrow into the right side of his rib cage. Again, he jumps up and bolts off. We follow and at 2:30, find him dead in a neighbor’s back yard. It made for a short drag. 😀

The first arrow was further back than I hoped, exited just behind his right front leg (far side). Appears it only took out one lung. He had bedded multiple times and jumping him seemed to make him bleed better. Not sure I’d advise that strategy, but it worked out. The pic was taken where we found him.

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

They can sure be tough critters at times! Nice buck!

Participant

Wow, great story.

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Mission accomplished, 😀 thank you for sharing.

Participant

Good story, thanks.

Participant

That’s why they are so awesome to hunt. Nice buck!

Participant

bump it again

Participant

Where did the first arrow hit?

Participant

Quote by: 2-bucks

Where did the first arrow hit?

His left side was presented to me, he turns to his right to leave the opening. The first arrow entered behind the rib cage on his left side, maybe 8 inches back, exited behind his right front leg, hitting the back of the far front leg as it passed through. It had to take out the right lung.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.