Home Forums Miscellaneous Camping Cot Questions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So this past weekend I went on a float/camp trip on the Upper Iowa. It was an awesome trip and although the water was a bit high and muddy we were blessed with awesome weather 90% of the time we were there. While packing for the trip, I noticed that my air mattress had broken. The valve had pulled loose from the mattress in an area. Oh well, I paid like $30 at wal mart for it and used it 2 years, probably all I could expect.

Well I told myself instead of buying an air mattress every year that will just leak or break, (I hate hate HATE anything inflatable for this reason) I should buy a cot and that purchase is one and done. I noticed the air mattress was screwed without enough time to order anything or shop much at all, I had to leave for the Cresco/Kendallville area and figured I would hit the Decorah WalMart and hope for the best. They had one style of cot there but it was on sale for $30. I grabbed it and while it was only 6 feet long (and I am 6’4”) I thought I could at least sleep in the fetal position or something, beats sleeping on the floor.

Boy was I wrong. My neck/back is still messed up bad as I write this. Can any of my fellow larger framed campers suggest a place to find an appropriate size cot for myself without spending $300?? Or is that just the price I will have to swallow for requiring a larger than average cot? From poking around both online and in stores yesterday it seems like standard cots can be had for all sorts of prices, while XL models seem to START at $200 and go up from there. That kinda sucks but like I said I hate inflatable crap with a passion. I have even tried online discount sites like REI and Austin Canoe/Kayak (ACK) and everything is still super pricy…any suggestions?

Participant

Here is one they sale at Bass pro, for 130. It looks like it should fit the bill.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Big-Outdoorsman-XL-Cot/product/14101607021413/

Participant

Cabelas outfitter XL cot. I bought one 2 years ago and they are very comfortable and will fit you good. My brother is 6′ 6″ and has no problem with it not having enough room. Currently they are on sale for $100.

Participant

I’ve got this one:

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Oversized-Cot/product/1411171731/

Sturdy enough to hold my 6′, 320 lb frame. Haven’t actually slept on it yet, but the couple times I’ve set it up and ‘tested’ it, it seems pretty good.

Participant
    Participant

Go to the Sierra Trading Post web site. They usually have some pretty good deals on everything from time to time and it’s usually really good stuff. But you probably can’t go wrong with Cabela’s or Bass Pro for something right now. I have an extra large cot myself and I have found that an even better purchase was an extra large foam mattress. THAT will save your back. Good luck in your venture to stay comfortable.

L8R…Ken

Participant

Quote by: e.fork-walleye

Cabelas outfitter XL cot. I bought one 2 years ago and they are very comfortable and will fit you good. My brother is 6′ 6″ and has no problem with it not having enough room. Currently they are on sale for $100.

Slept on one for a week elk hunting in Colorado. I thought it was very comfortable.

Participant

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I have been researching the Cabelas one on sale for $100, looking to read some more reviews maybe today. After recently purchasing a spendy tent from there along with some other stuff I have accumulated some Cabela’s bucks or whatever and may use that towards the cot.

Ken I will check out Sierra Trading Post too. I’m not really pressed for time, not sure when I will be camping next but it is probably at least a couple/few weeks out so I got time yet.

The bass pro ones look pretty nice as well and don’t break the bank. May have to consider if i end up going camping sooner rather than later spur the moment.

Participant

Quote by: e.fork-walleye

+1 on the Cabelas outfitter. I tried the top 10 rated cots and needed something to hold me and my kids I’m 6′ about 200# and this fits me and both my kids though being a bit snug. I’m satisfied with comfort and durability. I added tennisballs to the feet to keep it from poking through the bottom of my tent on soft ground. My wife says the cot is too firm and uses a small self inflating pad for extra cushion on the cot. The cot is rated for 500#’s so it’s plenty strong and as large as a twin size bed.

Participant

Quote by: speng5

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I have been researching the Cabelas one on sale for $100, looking to read some more reviews maybe today. After recently purchasing a spendy tent from there along with some other stuff I have accumulated some Cabela’s bucks or whatever and may use that towards the cot.

Ken I will check out Sierra Trading Post too. I’m not really pressed for time, not sure when I will be camping next but it is probably at least a couple/few weeks out so I got time yet.

The bass pro ones look pretty nice as well and don’t break the bank. May have to consider if i end up going camping sooner rather than later spur the moment.

One more thing on the Cabela’s one is that it has several optional add-ons including night stand, clothing rack, and I think they have a mosquito canopy frame too. The modular upgradability of it made it a lock for me. I have the night stand which is essentially a hanging organizer is very nice way to keep stuff off the floor in a wide open tent.

Participant

I have had this one for almost 10 years http://www.nwbackpack.com/products/big_grizzly_cot.php At 6’4″ and well over 200 lbs this one gives me plenty of room and a good night’s sleep.[http://www.nwbackpack.com/products/big_grizzly_cot.php]

Participant

I have used the cabela’s outfitter XL for 3-4 years camping in Wyoming. It worked out well but is very big and takes up quite a bit of space. It also stretched quite a bit and became uncomfortable. I’m 6′ 2″ and 300 lbs so I’m going to expect some stretching of fabric. I purchased a Cabela’s Alaskan Guide series cot a couple years ago to replace the other one and absolutely love it. Not way oversized but big enough to fit comfortably. Very comfortable. I would highly recommend it.

Participant

Hello: If you can use a cot that is heavier and a little bulky look for a mobile surgical hospitable bed. I bought one over 10 years ago. Super strong, solid and highest quality, folds up. The best cot I’ve ever had, and I’ve tried a lot of them. Bought mine from a military surplus store for 80.00. Was told the govt. paid over 500.00 each for them. It was brand new in the box, showed it was made in 1963. Don’t know if they are still available but saw some for sale about 2 years ago. Good Luck. O – R

TheDuckMasterTheDuckMaster
    Participant

Spencer,

I bought two Alaskan guide cots from Cabelas 4 years ago. They are my go to trapping and calling cots. They are big at 6’9 and almost 3 feet wide. I paid around $170.00 for them and I think it was worth every penny. I am not tall but weigh over 220, I don’t use any extra padding on top (pays to be fat!! hahaha) just my old arctic military -30 below sleeping bag and I use them daily for longer then I care to admit. My only regret is I wish I had a smaller one that would fit in the Chevy Suburban better. You are welcome to try one if you like before buying as my time is winter not muggy, buggy weather…yuck! . Ill be honest they are heavy at 40lbs. Send me an email or PM if your interested. I am in CR.

Larry

Participant

Quote by: TheDuckMaster

Spencer,

I bought two Alaskan guide cots from Cabelas 4 years ago. They are my go to trapping and calling cots. They are big at 6’9 and almost 3 feet wide. I paid around $170.00 for them and I think it was worth every penny. I am not tall but weigh over 220, I don’t use any extra padding on top (pays to be fat!! hahaha) just my old arctic military -30 below sleeping bag and I use them daily for longer then I care to admit. My only regret is I wish I had a smaller one that would fit in the Chevy Suburban better. You are welcome to try one if you like before buying as my time is winter not muggy, buggy weather…yuck! . Ill be honest they are heavy at 40lbs. Send me an email or PM if your interested. I am in CR.

Larry

Hey larry that is an awesome offer, thanks, I may have to take you up on that. I’m assuming it just folds in half? or is it the kind where the legs fold under and it is just a board more or less?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.