Home Forums Trapping / Fur Handling Trapping Coon numbers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m just curious as to whether or not anyone has noticed a decline in the raccoon population. I’m trapping some promising locations here in Greene County with a good amount of sign but my catch is lower than I had expected. Just wondering if maybe distemper went through before season since I’m not even seeing dead ones along the road.

Deputy11
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I had the same issue.  A lot of sign but lower numbers than I had expected.  I trap in Muscatine County.

fshadye4
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I was wondering if maybe distemper had spread statewide with such a high population. I spoke to one guy and he told me a friend of his in Guthrie county had seen a drop in numbers as well.

Bouna
    Participant
    Up
    Down

My property has a lot of raccoons on a normal year, but they seemed to have a high mortality rate this year. I watched out my kitchen window as a sow followed by 3 little ones fled across a new CRP field followed by a big coyote.  Separately, by our creek in the woods we found 4 dead raccoons in different areas to include in an old car body, a hollow tree, in a snag in the creek, and on the bank (in fairness my dogs found them).  I would have to agree that a combination of reasons are likely keeping the numbers down. Thinning by old boar coons is possible as my brother-in-law watched a big male corner a smaller male in a tree and attack him during bow season.  The raccoon in the hollow tree seemed untouched, so either poison or sickness is likely. The one in the car  was too decayed to tell how he died.  The two in the creek were also decayed. The coyotes have been ravaging the turkey on our property also. I have video of one catching a baby turkey. Point being, there seems to be a lot of dead raccoons in the woods.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Bouna.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.