Home Forums Hunting General Hunting Coon Hunting

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anybody have any luck this year opening a coon hunting?

Participant

I have not went out yet. Not in a big hurry. Maybe in a week or so. I do not think I will have much competition with other hunters and trappers with the very poor prices. Just a hobby anyway.

Participant

I heard some hounds running Saturday night. With all of the coons that I am seeing this year a good hound dog(s) should have excellent hunting. However, the pelts are nearly worthless this year, so it would have to be for the fun of the hunt, because no one is making any money killing coons this year. I plan on trapping a bunch of them this weekend just to keep the populations in check.

Participant

Went out with my blue tick Saturday and Sunday. Got 7 Saturday and 6 on Sunday night. I don’t know if they’re moving around more than usual or their numbers or just high. I’ve never had that good luck consistently on that farm.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

From what I’ve seen the numbers are very high, probably because of poor prices 2 years in a row. I’ve had more coons on trial cams this year than ever before.

Participant

I am not a coon hunter but the amount I have seen in the only time in my deer stand was pretty crazy, 5 in a 3 hour sit. Not to mention the 6 I saw on the 45 min drive to the farm. This weekend my buddies and I are camping and we are going to keep track of how many we see.

Participant

Used to trap a lot but I’m going to hang it up this year. From a management perspective there are a couple farms I will trap for just a couple weeks. Owners are seeing pheasants come back and would still like me to thin the predators. Not bad work for my permission, as its something fun to do anyway. Doubt I’ll make a dime on it though. I told the landowner with the prices it isn’t worth my time to try and sell so he can have the hides. He was excited but I’ll be curious to see what they bring if anything.

After last years prices I have definitely seen an uptick in coons. Can’t imagine how many there will be after THIS year. Driving to the duck blind the last few times I’ve went, they have been all over the place. So thick in some areas I’d have to think a disease outbreak is coming soon. Too many coons in too small an area = bad news.

Participant

FWIW, I talked to a SE Iowa fur buyer this weekend and he said that he is anticipating paying $1 to maybe $2 per coon this year. I told him that I will just give him whatever I catch as I feel like we need to reduce the population on our farm and I hate to just chuck them in the ditch. I have heard second hand stories too that indicate that some other buyers will not even take coons this year. So all in all, the very low fur prices, especially coon, are leading to many people not to target them and they are very prolific breeders and their population bounces back fast…until distemper, etc, strikes.

Participant

Quote by: Daver

FWIW, I talked to a SE Iowa fur buyer this weekend and he said that he is anticipating paying $1 to maybe $2 per coon this year. I told him that I will just give him whatever I catch as I feel like we need to reduce the population on our farm and I hate to just chuck them in the ditch. I have heard second hand stories too that indicate that some other buyers will not even take coons this year. So all in all, the very low fur prices, especially coon, are leading to many people not to target them and they are very prolific breeders and their population bounces back fast…until distemper, etc, strikes.

Wouldn’t doubt it. LOTS and LOTS of coon getting sat on right now. Guys that have bought a lot in the last year are losing their shirts on them.

Participant

From what I’ve heard there is still quite a surplus of hides from last year. The buyer I usually sell to will not be having a route in my area until Nov 24th, and in some areas not until December. We are going to trap, but won’t start for a couple weeks to make sure what we are getting is prime. I have heard quite a few dogs running in the area at night though.

Participant

Used to trap a lot but I’m going to hang it up this year. From a management perspective there are a couple farms I will trap for just a couple weeks. Owners are seeing pheasants come back and would still like me to thin the predators. Not bad work for my permission, as its something fun to do anyway. Doubt I’ll make a dime on it though. I told the landowner with the prices it isn’t worth my time to try and sell so he can have the hides. He was excited but I’ll be curious to see what they bring if anything.

After last years prices I have definitely seen an uptick in coons. Can’t imagine how many there will be after THIS year. Driving to the duck blind the last few times I’ve went, they have been all over the place. So thick in some areas I’d have to think a disease outbreak is coming soon. Too many coons in too small an area = bad news.

Just spoke with a farmer whos land I trap. I told him I wouldn’t be trapping coons this year, but after reading this I have changed my mind. I believe its the correct thing to do and also good P.R.

Participant

If you enjoy the sport of trapping or coon hunting, do it! If you are worried about the money, don’t do it! This is a good year hone your skills or try some new techniques. For me I enjoy the sport of trapping and am doing it this year. Crop damage has been pretty prevalent this year so I am trying and going to try to thin a bit.

Have fun and be safe!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.