Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Coon Calling rifle.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey fellow outdoors people, I am new to coon calling however I have a question for all of you that do call coon. I have a 22 mag and a 17HMR. I am contemplating getting a 204 Ruger and using that as my coon rifle due to the killing quickness and the ability to kill before the coon heads back into the hole again. I have used a 22 lr however they have needed multiple shots sometimes. Am I out of line thinking to 204 Ruger? I have watched videos of people calling coon and they have been using a 204 or a 17 hornet some even a 223.

Participant

Take a look at the .17 wsm. I havent had to put a second shot in the 6 or so ive shot with mine.

Participant

I”ve used a .223 for this mission. One night I took 9 coons and none of them were blown up. I would say that a nice bolt action 223 would be a good candidate for this mission.

Participant

I’m pretty much convinced, if you want to drop a body-shot ‘coon *every time*.. you’re looking at centerfire. No experience with the WSM but I know a .22 mag or an HMR won’t do it. Question will be how “fur-friendly” they will be at the close ranges? I use a magnum and I pretty much won’t shoot unless I can see the head.

Participant

I’d be pretty uncomfortable shooting into trees with a CF. I use a .22mag and very seldom do they take one of those without dropping right away.

Participant

Thank you guys. this information has been very helpful. Even if I use the 17 hmr I always make sure there is a back stop for the projectile. So a center fire would be not a whole lot different than what I normally do anyway. Like you said before how fur friendly would the two rifles be? Hard decision.

Blocked

Gosh. I have coonhunted with a hound since I was an adolescent and have never carried anything else but a .22LR. Same as calling them. I guess it is just aim and shoot and “dead coon” So I guess on coon hides that are next to worthless I would use a…..you guessed it….deuce,deuce!!!!!!

ihuntducksalot72ihuntducksalot72
    Participant

All of them I’ve shot while coon calling have been with a 22 mag, and it’s worked great. Head, neck, or chest, it’s always done the job and out of the tree they come. I’ve considered my hornet a few times, but have never decided to jump. Now, a few times out calling coyotes or down south bobcat calling, my buddy and I have found that “perfect coon tree” out wandering around new areas, and we’ve set up with our calling rifles. He’s always beat me to the trigger, and dumped a few. We’re using 223 reloads, with 60 grain Hornady soft points. Did a great job with not a lot of fur damage. Usually about a nickel sized exit. So it’s not like it’s tearing them up.

Participant

I used a 22LR a lot while hound hunting. I have seen many coon take a lot of bullets not by me but friends I have went with. I’ll try the22 mag and see what comes of it. One bad thing about the 22mag is its hard to find ammo for nowadays. It’s getting like 22LR was here about a year ago. I guess I can always change if I don’t like it. I really like hearing all of your opinions.

Participant

I have only used the old 22 also. If you cannot get them with one shot put it on spray and let them have it.

Participant

Quote by: Wallyman

I”ve used a .223 for this mission. One night I took 9 coons and none of them were blown up. I would say that a nice bolt action 223 would be a good candidate for this mission.

what ammo were you using. I don’t reload just wondering if it was factory.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.