Home Forums Miscellaneous General Banter Complaining

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

It’s not that the new site is bad, and it’s not what’s going to ruin it. It’s the guys/gals doing all the complaining on here that’s going to ruin it. The things free for crying out loud.

Participant
    Up
    Down

who knows if this will even work!  but here goes.

I used to be a regular on this forum.  it was one of the more enjoyable stops of my morning internet browsing.  its not even on the favorites list anymore.  breaking the forum for over a year inexplicably (updates do need to happen but most happen seamlessly, not taking down an entire website for over a year) and the proliferation of social media groups just killed it.

Forums are pretty much a dead medium for the most part.  there are some that thrive but they thrive off longevity and IS blew that wad when it took down the site.

I would love for it to bounce back but like i’m almost certain this won’t post immediately if at all!

There are supposedly 14 replies to this thread and nobody can even see one of them!

sparkiesparkie
    Participant
    Up
    Down

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^AGREE with mskursh 100%% ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

jerdog515jerdog515
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Yea I have tried over the last few years as well to post and it never shows up.

cowboycowboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Well, these posted, maybe it’s changing!  I don’t do social media so it would be nice to get this forum back and going!

cowboycowboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Wow, that’s pretty low.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

who knows if this will even work! but here goes. I used to be a regular on this forum. it was one of the more enjoyable stops of my morning internet browsing. its not even on the favorites list anymore. breaking the forum for over a year inexplicably (updates do need to happen but most happen seamlessly, not taking down an entire website for over a year) and the proliferation of social media groups just killed it. Forums are pretty much a dead medium for the most part. there are some that thrive but they thrive off longevity and IS blew that wad when it took down the site. I would love for it to bounce back but like i’m almost certain this won’t post immediately if at all! There are supposedly 14 replies to this thread and nobody can even see one of them!

I totally understand your frustration! I am the new admin to the site and can offer a couple of tips and some insights on “successful” posting. 🙂

More than 1 link in a post will typically kick it into moderation and I will be reviewing pending posts and replies, at minimum, once every 24 hours. (I am also the circulation manager and social media coordinator so my time is spread over many duties)

I have increased the size limit for photo attachments to 2000kb so as long as the total size doesn’t exceed that allocation it should post without need for review, otherwise it gets put into pending status and I will have to “approve” it for it to show up. Rule of thumb… limit to 2 pictures in a post or reply and it should make it through, depending on file size.

I hope this helps and look forward to more and lively discussions in here!!!

Don’t give up on us just yet!!

Best Regards,

Donna

Participant
    Up
    Down

I used to be on here all the time, in fact subscribed to the Magazine to help support. I enjoy reading the magazine, actually I like reading the ads also.  But to excuse a poor website because its “Free” is not the answer. I am on perhaps 6 or more websites, all are “Free” All function as they should.  A poor website is a reflection of the source funding it and that is a shame.  The Magazine is wonderful the site even now is not.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I also used to be on here all the time. But it seems there are so few people and even fewer that answer questions. 😕

I keep coming back and hoping it will get more people.

Participant
    Up
    Down

FYI Be careful about posting Complaints or even as your a member and subscriber you will get the Pop up Box telling you that your blocked from posting,

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

If you have any suggestions, we’d love to hear them! We really want to bring these forums back to life any way that we can. If you guys ever have suggestions or ideas, don’t hesitate to reach out on here, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or email.

[email protected]

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

I used to be on here all the time, in fact subscribed to the Magazine to help support. I enjoy reading the magazine, actually I like reading the ads also. But to excuse a poor website because its “Free” is not the answer. I am on perhaps 6 or more websites, all are “Free” All function as they should. A poor website is a reflection of the source funding it and that is a shame. The Magazine is wonderful the site even now is not.

If you have any suggestions, we’d love to hear them! We really want to bring these forums back to life any way that we can. If you guys ever have suggestions or ideas, don’t hesitate to reach out on here, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or email.

[email protected]

Participant
    Up
    Down

First the Pop up Box telling me I could no longer post without filling out that form with my email address? Strange. The website is so slow and has so many glitches as to be almost impossible to use.  You can post and have it disappear after you hit enter. People who say you should not complain as its Free are wrong. That is why its the way it is now. You should not need detailed instructions to use a website. If you do its done wrong.  Look up the book “Don’t make me think”, a book on Website design published years back when I was doing them.

There was no reason to write your   own website software there are lots and lots already done that did not re-invent the wheel. By having the Site down for a year and when it came back so buggy to be unusable you lost your base.

You folks  do a Fantastic job on the Magazine and I do Love the ads that show vacation and fishing spots in Minnesota, SD, ND and beyond.  Your website should draw people to it and help sell your products and wonderful Magazine. Its an asset not something that Has to be done.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I used to love going to the old Forum, had lots of characters and some bad some good.  Still lots of advise and people to talk to about all things hunting and fishing.  Now this forum is just the dead sea.. it does not function well and the old users are pretty much gone.  I don’t blame anyone, i just feel it is sad to have a landing spot then make such big changes and take so much time to do it.. and then lose everyone in the process.  I wish it were back to the old forum.  MY 2 cents

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

I apologize about the glitches, but we are not seeing that on our end here in the office. The site does make you login before posting, that is probably why it wanted your email address, the site is also set up to send you an email when people respond to your forum posts, hence the reason for an email address.

As for writing our own website software, we have no part in that. Unfortunately, we do not have anyone on our team with that expertise. This new version of the website is hosted by a different company who designs the site for us, we make suggestions and changes.

We do realize that having the site down for a year definitely affected the forums, but the site needed to be re-done. Now that I have joined the team as the Digital Media Director, we’re really trying to make the forums better and give them the boost they’ve needed in the past few years. We can’t do that unless you guys give us suggestions on what you would like to see.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Nope the Pop Up box had nothing to do with wanting my email address for a reply…. did I not say that? I was already Logged In!  It was based on my IP address as soon as I went to a different one no issues.  Ask your website designers about it.   Never have issues on the other websites I am on,  ever.    Of course you do not have issues in the office, your running a cached version. Get out of the office and go to a remote location and log in you will see what everyone is complaining about.   While your there go to  The High Road dot  org  for an example of a proper web forum. Or homeshopmachinist dot net or   sawmillcreek dot org .  Never a big issue with the old website and taking it down for an entire year??  When it came back it was buggy and crashed a lot,  we were told by the folks running it…. its done and its the best we can do.

• This reply was modified 15 hours, 8 minutes ago by Avatarwmgeorge64.
    Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Our editor and I often check the forums out of the office and haven’t had that problem either, but I can definitely look into it. As for the time that the old website was down, I cannot speak for since I did not work here. These things take time, it also took a lot of time to find somebody to build the new site in the first place. This is a small, family-run business, we simply do not have the power to make things happen overnight. There very well could’ve been crashing and bugs when the website was first back up, but we currently don’t have that problem. And as I said earlier, we can’t fix these things if users don’t let us know.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.