Home Forums Miscellaneous Love it….Hate it… Cloudy headlights

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hey guys, do any of the spray-on products intended to remove plastic head light clouding actually work? I always thought the clouding was on the inside of the bezels.

WhipWhip
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have tried a variety of options from a kit with a buffer and various grits of sand paper and rubbing compound to using deet based insect spray. They all help for a while and then they cloud over again.

Whip

Participant
    Up
    Down

I haven’t used a spray-on, but in the past I have used a paste-type applicator that you buff on and then wipe off. It seems to help, but you have to apply it quite a few times to really notice a significant effect. I believe the yellowing/cloudiness in the cover is due primarily to sun (i.e., UV) exposure and/or aging of the plastic covering. The UV exposure may be relatively skin deep and can be removed somewhat using the buffing/sanding technique. After a while continued UV exposure would cause the cloudiness to return and you will have to buff it off again. This is just from my own observations and scientific intuition and isn’t based on any actual studies.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Park in the garage from the day you drive it off the lot.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thank you fellas and that is about what I assumed.

Roger that on the garage Asgrow. Unfortunately farm came with a sad excuse for a garage that is only fit for storing wood and morton shed is 150 feet away and only has a huge slider. Yes, I could use it, but it has a couple boats and a tractor in it all the time and is just inconvenient.

I need to build a quality garage next to the house but don’t have the scratch at the moment. 😉

Participant
    Up
    Down

i have had some success with deep woods off. it doesnt last forever but seems to work for awhile.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I tried a bunch of this stuff on my old chevy tahoe and ended up just buying some after market new lenses off e-bay and put them on.

Participant
    Up
    Down

You might want to check out Flitz gun polish. Works great on stainless steel and, from a quick look at the FAQ on their website it looks like they say it can be used to clean up dull headlights. Don’t blame me if it doesn’t work or makes things worse, so use it at your own risk, of course! Scroll down to the question on how to clear dull headlights: http://www.flitz.com/faqs/

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have used bug spray and wiped with an old tube sock and it works ok. You have to do it a few times a summer but it’s cheap and easy to do.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thank you for the ideas guys, much appreciated!

Participant
    Up
    Down

My experience is that nothing works, except replacing the lens. But if you have a 20 yr. old car like me you can’t find them anymore.
    Guessing it differs from vehicle to vehicle, weather conditions, age of the vehicle and so on.
    Mine has been in the garage every hour except when we’re at work with it.

Good Luck

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ve used deet also and it works OK, but was told not to get it on the paint as it would damage it.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Buff them with auto paint buffer and compound. Then clear coat them with clear paint.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I had great luck w/ rubbing compound on soft cloth and then a heavy coat of paste wax. Also had great luck w/ never dull cloth and paste wax. They look and function a lot better.

Participant
    Up
    Down

What’s your time worth? Ten minutes of rubbing compound a month and you’re good. New headlights could be a few hundred dollars and last years. One ten dollar bottle will last me about a year and cleans the tractor lenses too. Have not tried a wax or paste after polishing.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I bought one of thoseTurtle Wax kits a few years ago and it worked very well on the head lights. Now I use the kit once a year or twice a year. No complaints.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Did a couple of real bad lights with 600 grit and wet sanded by hand. Didnt turn out too bad…..

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Stizos

I’ve used deet also and it works OK, but was told not to get it on the paint as it would damage it.

DEET is definitely some nasty stuff when I used to coon hunt I would occasionally use the 100% and you didn’t want to get it on any plastic like you light or helmet, it would get really sticky /gooy.

The other day a friend was telling me he just cleaned his up with something. I’ll have to see what it was, but it was also the first time so I don’t know how long it will last. He said it worked good though

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have cleared headlights and plexiglass boat wind screens with Rain-X. Clean, let dry , rub in coat and let dry. After couple hours to dry well, buffalo out and apply second coat.

OldbearOldbear
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: kenhump

I have cleared headlights and plexiglass boat wind screens with Rain-X. Clean, let dry , rub in coat and let dry. After couple hours to dry well, buffalo out and apply second coat.

Where do you keep that Buffalo at Ken.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.