Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum clay pigeons in a pond

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

will broken clay pigeons hurt fish in a pond if you shoot them over it?

alwaysfishing1
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I dont know about the clay pigeons, but the lead shot sure will, unless your shooting steel which would get a little pricy, i’d just shoot over a field, most are biodegradable and wont hurt the soil.

pbrtim
    Participant
    Up
    Down

How does the lead hurt the fish?

flyfishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Just be sure if you shoot them over a field that there won’t be any livestock grazing on that piece of ground at anytime as clay pigeons are toxic to them. Or it is mowed and baled for hay. The rakes/windrowers can put the pieces right into the windrow and then get rolled up right along with the rest of the hay into the bale.

wallybanger101
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: pbrtim

When it gets ingested…

alwaysfishing1
    Participant
    Up
    Down

idk but just a guess “lead Posioning” kinda like if you eat old paint chips, not a whole lot of good can come from it.

merlin
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Pretty sure ducks, geese & other birds all ingest lead shot, that’s one of the reasons waterfowl hunting requires steel shot on federal land.

mattcondon
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: pbrtim

Maybe it doesn’t this year but when that shot begins to break down, the ecosystem will be holding it and the fish and frogs and such will suffer from it.

I’m not comfortable with it when I accidentally swallow a pellet from a duck or pheasant, be it lead or steel, I’m not alright with heavy metals in my system. It’s kind of the same thing.

JCronk
    Participant
    Up
    Down

OK, back to the subject at hand! Yes the old style of clay birds that are made of pitch are toxic and will hurt the fish, but the newer “biodegradable” birds should not.

Now, that being said, clay birds and/or lead shot will not harm the fish THIS year but will for the next 10-15 years until they are fully broken down and absorbed back into the soil.

If you need proof of this, just go look at any gun club or public range and take a look at the area that gets the most fallout from the birds/shot, there is nothing growing in these areas except for weeds. And we all know it take a MIRACLE to kill weeds so….

YellowDawg
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: merlin

Pretty sure ducks, geese & other birds all ingest lead shot, that’s one of the reasons waterfowl hunting requires steel shot on federal land.

Waterfowl hunting requires steel shot everywhere not just on Federal lands.

Steel shot is almost as affordable as lead and is actually cheaper than good lead pheasant loads.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.