Home Forums Hunting Firearms Chronograph

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Toph20terror’s excellent thread has prompted me to finally order a chronograph. I therefore am looking for advice on which brand to order. I have been looking a Competition Electronics Prochrono and Shooting Crono. I have been leaning toward the Competition Electronics, but a couple of reviews about out of the box failures has me nervous. Any help or account of experience would be very much appreciated.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I just use a shooting chrony that I’ve had for over 20 years and it works fine.

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I am using the Competition Electronics Prochrono Pal and it has not failed me once yet. I am very confident it is giving me correct readings as results on the target are just as expected in relation to the readings it is giving me. I have only had one or two readings in aprox the 75-80 readings it has given me that I thought “might” be wrong.

m4250t……..thank you for the good review on my thread. Sometimes I wonder if all the time and effort taking pics and posting results, etc. is useful to the members here and it’s responses like yours that tells me it is worth it. Thank you.

Trevor

Participant
    Up
    Down

In my experience, whatever one you can afford to shoot.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Competition Electronics ProChrono is what I have and it works great. I have been using it for 7yrs and have not had any problems with it at all. It can be set up to suit however you want to chronograph your shots. It suits my needs to a tee.

CCACCA
    Participant
    Up
    Down

we ran a beta chrony in the past and i bought a master and gamma chrony but i’ve never gotten around to firing them up…

looks like i should one of these weekends…

"I thought I trusted the rope until it mattered to me whether it would bear me. Now it matters, and I find I didn't..." - C.S. "Jack" Lewis - A Grief Observed

Participant
    Up
    Down

Somethin for ya’ll to contemplate.

For a time, I had a 30-378 Weatherby Magnum. I shot some through a Chronny a .22 caliber sabotted bullet out of it at 6,000 FPS. Ioo grains of powder. THAT was fun, but I was not able to shoot any paper and dunno how long the barrel would last. It WAS tamed with a muzzle brake and a state of the art recoil pad. So long as you wore ear protection, I could shoot it off a bench in a t shirt ALL day long!!!!!!!!

I make NO claim for the sanity of doing this. And NO idea of how safe it was.

Participant
    Up
    Down

ProChrono has always worked great for me. 😀

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have a CED M2 and have not had any issues with mine.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I bought a MagnetoSpeed chronograph last year and couldn’t be happier with the purchase. It’s way ahead of the others in design and it’s very handy to set up and use.
    http://www.magnetospeed.com/pages/tech-info

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: topH20terror

I am using the Competition Electronics Prochrono Pal and it has not failed me once yet. I am very confident it is giving me correct readings as results on the target are just as expected in relation to the readings it is giving me. I have only had one or two readings in aprox the 75-80 readings it has given me that I thought “might” be wrong.

m4250t……..thank you for the good review on my thread. Sometimes I wonder if all the time and effort taking pics and posting results, etc. is useful to the members here and it’s responses like yours that tells me it is worth it. Thank you.

Trevor

Trevor, I don’t shoot much of anything any more but enjoyed reading and following where your going. I hope you continue to post how you do! Good luck!
    I didn’t post as I didn’t want to muddy the waters of your thread. (Sorry as I might have on this one!)

Up
    Down

I bought a F1 Chrony a month ago, have taking it out twice. Seems to work real well. The only thing i would reccommend on the F1 is if you shoot alone, get the one with a printer. Expecially shooting hand guns.

Tim

CCACCA
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Iowa+Bill

Somethin for ya’ll to contemplate.

I shot some through a Chronny a .22 caliber sabotted bullet out of it at 6,000 FPS. Ioo grains of powder.

lol. 6000FPS… lol.

nope… even solids, which those weren’t, won’t hold together at that speed. combined with the fact that the sabot jacket rarely reflects accurately to determine speed, i’m doubting it was 6000fps. low 5Ks maybe, but not 6k or even close. the projectiles physically spin apart at that speed and can’t be ‘spin stabilized’ as it were.

it would be fun to see just how fast they were though. having been dumb enough to stand next to targets and point out POI for some of the .17 centerfire wildcatters that were hitting at 4800FPS+ i can tell you they sound like the world’s tiniest little top fuel engine screaming right by you…

"I thought I trusted the rope until it mattered to me whether it would bear me. Now it matters, and I find I didn't..." - C.S. "Jack" Lewis - A Grief Observed

Participant
    Up
    Down

Reviving an old thread, but I’d like some opinions on the Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph.

I want to work up a .44 mag load for deer season and think a chronograph would help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.