Home Forums Hunting Firearms Childrens beginner gun

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

looking to get my girls shooting 8,7, and 5 years old.  All the guns i have are way to big for them.  Any suggestions?  I was thinking it might be easier to have them start off with a scope rather than iron sights.  Thanks

WhipWhip
    Participant

I’m teaching my grandsons how to shoot with a red Ryder bb gun and open sights. I have 2 Marlin 15y 22s for them one with a scope and one with open sights for next year. But I want them to learn on open sights. I’m old school.

Whip

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

IMHO, Take a look at the S&W M&P15-22 sport rifle.  With the adjustable stock you can set the length of pull for each of the 3 girls when they shoot and it will grow with them.  Put a red dot sight on it, make it easy for the kids to shoot.  At the ages you are asking about, shooting needs to be all about safety,  fun, ease, and success.

Comes with iron sights, you can teach them how to shoot those later as they get more proficient and confident.

that rifle also comes in many colors and options.

Targets need to be close and be interactive.  Shooting paper is great for getting the fundamentals down, but interactive targets makes it fun.  I use cheap suckers, marshmallows, balloons, steel animals, etc for interactive targets.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

Basic rather short, light, iron sights probably a single shot .22.  I’d say a Henry lever but the lever isn’t that easy for young girls especially 5.  They can get the fancy stuff later and if they had an auto it to easy to remember their is another shot in their ready to go.  IMO.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

stick500stick500
    Participant

Yikes! JMHO but I don’t like putting a gun that could kill someone (a .22) in the hands of any beginners.

Taught my two girls with a pump Sheridan/Benjamin pellet gun with open sights.

Made the mistake of teaching them in the standing position- so easy for me but very difficult for them.

Make their first shots from sitting or resting the gun on something stable.

Participant

I also believe in starting them with a BB gun. Easy to handle, teach gun safety, and with all the different targets available now, they can have a blast. I still have fun plinking cans with my pellet rifle.

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

You can turn any semi-auto into a single shot by putting just one round in the mag, start there.

ALL guns can kill, so treat them all the same from the start.  Starting with a pellet, bb, .22lr, shotgun, rifle, or pistol makes no difference, the safety training is identical.

IMHO the choice of firearms makes no difference, the level of maturity and responsible in the new shooter is paramount, whether 5 or 50 years old.  A good trainer or parent will evaluate and proceed appropriately.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

WhipWhip
    Participant

My concern is always putting too much gun weight in the hands of youngster. My grandsons are 3 and 5. Even the little red ryder bb gun is too big for my 3 and 1/2 year old. I always start with basic gun safety muzzle control, all guns are loaded regardless, no finger on the trigger until you’re sure of your target and what is beyond it. I make them wear shooting glasses especially with the bb guns in case if a bounce back. Then we get close and have fun. Balloons are a favorite and I blow them up until I’m ready to pass out!!!! Next year my oldest grandson is ready for a .22 and my old 15y marlin is all sighted in and ready to go. But I also picked up a youth pellet gun that may get some use this fall if we’re ready.

Whip

bullhead44bullhead44
    Participant

Thanks for the tips guys. I started off with a single shot 410,  knowing my girls this would frighten them.  They have a toy shotgun and they’ve learned safety and respect with this.

Oddly enough i would like to get a pellet gun but all of them ive found are too long  but the rascal and cricket 22s are perfect. So ill probably go this route and try and make it as interactive for them and we will be shooting from a bench. Thanks again

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

I second the AR22 platform. My kids at 4 and 5 firearm safety and to shoot on a kids version of a Red Ryder with a short stock and still the ergonomics were difficult for them to get a good hold on the gun. Tried a year later to step up to a single shot Winchester model 67 and a Ruger 10.22 and their hands are just too small to safely handle the gun. The pistol grip and adjustable stock of the AR platform are near perfect for small kids to learn to properly shoot. As for kids learning to shoot with a “real” gun, know your kids and don’t listen to people that don’t know them. If you’re old enough to shoot it doesn’t matter what you are shooting.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.