Chassis stock upgrade?2018-11-26T20:46:57-05:00

Home Forums Hunting Firearms Chassis stock upgrade?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting a MDT LSS chassis for my tikka T3 in 223.  It’ll definitely increase the coolness factor of the rifle, adding whatever AR pistol grip and AR buttstock I’d want, but I’m concerned on the weight.  The skeleton of the chassis weighs around 1.75 lbs and my factory tikka T3 stock weighs 1.75lbs.  So the addition of the buttstock/tube, grip, and magazine would all be additional weight.  Although, depending on what I pick for those it arguably wouldn’t be much?

I’m using the rifle as a walking predator calling rifle, crossing ditches, fences, brush, etc….  With scope, tall sitting Harris bipod, scope, etc, the tikka is already pushing 9.75lbs.  So I’m not sure I want to push it over 10lbs…

Opinions?  Is there something I’m missing on the chassis stocks I should be considering?  Others in addition to the MDT LSS I should consider?

later,

scruffy

WhipWhip
    Participant

Scruffy for me it’s how well it fits. I’m not a big fan of the AR chassis type stocks. I can’t quickly shoulder the rifle and feel like I’m going to hammer a running coyote like my old 700 BDL. Some rifles just fit me better than others. Probably nothing a couple of thousand rounds of usage wouldn’t fix or at least help.

Whip

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Figured I’d try a “current” picture.  Leupold vx2 3-9×40 scope with LR reticle and Leupold covers and short sun shade, warne rings attached directly to receiver, Harris S-25 (or Harris S-25C) with podloc, tikka extended magazine, 9 round shell holder, claw rifle sling w/elk brand mouse squeaker.  Trigger breaks perfectly crisp at 2lbs.  A clean all around 223 calling rifle weighing in at 9.75lbs.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Yup, I agree with you Whip.  As much as I like the tikka, my old savage model 11 just fits me like a glove.  Of course carrying it over hills for way over a decade helps, but the ugly factory furniture has always pointed and came to target smoothly and quickly.

You make a good point, I should try and find a rifle in this chassis to handle and see how it feels.  The buttstock and such selected will obviously influence that somewhat, as far as balance also, but I’m also wondering what holding onto an aluminum stock when it’s 0 degrees feels like?  😉

Participant

i’d run the light and sleek polymer stock if it were me.  the chassis is more suited to ‘tactical’ or ‘precision’ uses.  besides, the true advantages to the chassis system are mag feeding, vertical grip, adjust-ability, and easy acceptance of bolt on hardware like pods, dbals, lights, clip-on night vision, etc.

you already have mag feeding with that gun, and the rest aren’t a necessity unless you didn’t mention them.  as long as you pull it up and the fit of your cheek makes the ‘weld’ we often refer to, you’re good to go.

-michael

WhipWhip
    Participant

Yes the “weld” is the key. Good call septic-tank13. If everything comes up and jumps on target its a lot easier to make those impossible shots. Several years ago I bought a 50mm scope and put it on my old Remington 700. In order to mount it to the gun I had to use taller rings. Just that little change messed up my “weld” on the gun. I ended up switching back to my original scope and rings. If I could just get all the coyotes to come in right where I want them and stand still it wouldn’t make much difference. 😃

Whip

CCACCA
    Participant

I was having trouble logging in Whip…  So I created the septic-tank account until I could get this mess straightened out.  septic is me…  lol.

There’s a really great way to achieve that cheek weld that the vast majority of hunters miss.  In fact almost ALL the hunting rifles or shotguns I see through my shop are incorrect in terms of allowing you to get a proper cheek weld.  The “drop” in the stock of most rifles and shotguns was built for sights that sit atop the bridge of the action.  When you add a scope that raises that centerline up at least an inch and often more, you need to raise up your cheek that same amount.  Yet we don’t…  So instead of changing out the stocks on your collection, I recommend getting some strips of cardboard, and taping them in place to achieve your cheekweld.  Then place this pack over them so they don’t look terrible.  It works great, won’t break the bank, and really is handy…  If you do that, you’ll shoot more accurately and more consistently (all things being equal) and the little zippered pocket ends up being handy to boot.

https://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Stock-Pack.html

Glad to be back Whip!  Been a while…

"I thought I trusted the rope until it mattered to me whether it would bear me. Now it matters, and I find I didn't..." - C.S. "Jack" Lewis - A Grief Observed

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Ironically I was looking at midwayusa’s house brand stock pack.  Have you seen one in person to know how it compares?  I had been thinking I’d add a midwayusa one to an order and give it a test, but if you’ve seen a difference in them (or the midwayusa one is junk), I’ll create an account and get the triad.  I know midwayusa didn’t make their offering, but there are so many knockoffs that look about the same, with subtle but important material differences, I’ve been a little wary….

CCACCA
    Participant

I like the Triad for a couple different reasons.  It is made with what I’d describe as tougher material and the stitching appears to be better as well.  Besides the fact that the Triad is more robust and better built, I happen to like Steve, personally and professionally.  For me, this makes spending a couple bucks more with a guy from Kansas City who has his product made in the USA by small business folks worth every penny.

http://soldiersystems.net/tag/triad-tactical/

-Michael

"I thought I trusted the rope until it mattered to me whether it would bear me. Now it matters, and I find I didn't..." - C.S. "Jack" Lewis - A Grief Observed

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

oh, one last quick question, will 223 rounds fit in the shell holder.  When I was looking at different brands some of the holders worked perfect for 308’s but the 223’s would fall right through, or at the very least not be very snug…

Edit, and thanks for all the information!!!  🙂

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

I ended up getting the midwayusa stock pack because I was able to get it on a special sale for only $10, and for that prices I couldn’t hardly pass it up for a test if I like the stock pack verses the simple shell holder.   And if I don’t like it or need to upgrade, I can put the midway on a backup coyote rifle.  But the reviews were good, so heck, I might just like it.

WhipWhip
    Participant

Good to have you back CCA and I took your advice and started messing around with padding my AR stock on my RRA predator pursuit. I will take it out in a few weeks and try it on pdogs when the weather cooperates. I will see if my off hand hit percentage increases. Wish it was a good jackrabbit year but they are few and far between here this year.

Whip

CCACCA
    Participant

Good to have you back CCA and I took your advice and started messing around with padding my AR stock on my RRA predator pursuit. I will take it out in a few weeks and try it on pdogs when the weather cooperates. I will see if my off hand hit percentage increases. Wish it was a good jackrabbit year but they are few and far between here this year.

i’m curious…  do you ever cook em’ up?  or do jack rabbits not taste as yummy in a crock with cream of mushroom soup as iowa bunnies?  never had jack rabbit.  shot a couple while out west pdogging, but that’s about it.

CCACCA
    Participant

I ended up getting the midwayusa stock pack because I was able to get it on a special sale for only $10, and for that prices I couldn’t hardly pass it up for a test if I like the stock pack verses the simple shell holder. And if I don’t like it or need to upgrade, I can put the midway on a backup coyote rifle. But the reviews were good, so heck, I might just like it.

help the forum then.  take a few pics after you get it out and use it.  offer a review and your first hand feedback after using it for a while.  hope it works well.  most important is the cheek weld.

do you know how to set it?  if not, we should cover that.

WhipWhip
    Participant

My first year here in Wyoming I tried to eat a Jack and it was not a good experience. I saw a few in Iowa in the 1970s but had never shot one. Here in Wyoming they are classified as a predatory animal and therefore no license is required to hunt them and season is open all year. Also you are not required to eat predatory animals under state law. They are really cyclical and when it’s a big year it seems like there are thousands. They move in on haystacks and eat out the bottom 2 or 3 feet causing the stacks to fall over.  I have had rancher friends beg me to come shoot them. Hitting one on the run with your coyote rifle is a challenge but a great way to increase your coyote hit percentage. Suddenly a running coyote looks huge.

Whip

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!