Home Forums Hunting Firearms Carry permit transfer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I just moved a few weeks ago to a different county. I figured I would call the sheriff’s office before going in to have my permit transferred to my new address. He told me to bring in my certificate and my old permit & we could do it. I said I didn’t think I needed to bring my certificate since I already had my permit from a different county, but he told my I did. Looked in the regs, but can’t seem to find any part about transferring, just the part about having to obtain a permit in the county that you reside in. Am I right? Doesn’t matter, I’m still going to bring it in – not going to get in a urinating contest with the sheriff over a piece of paper. I just don’t want to have to look for it, our place still looks like a bomb went off in it in some places. Ain’t moving great??!! 😡

Participant

Do not believe it needs to be transferred.

Participant

The permit is valid statewide for 5 years. Not sure I’d even mess with it til time to renew…at least I’de not lose any sleep over it. :question:

CCACCA
    Participant

if you currently have a valid permit and are simply having one reissued to reflection a new address, they need nothing but the permit. granted, if you want to make things easier, then go ahead, but i wouldn’t do it. this law is concrete and easy to read. the issuing officials have been provided all the information via DPS and they should be well versed in this. i’m not being snarky about my choice to not provide what the so’s want. i’m simply making them uphold and adhere to the law. already we have issuing officials that are imposing their own standards or requests to applying permit holders. they are not allowed this in any fasion, they know it, and they do it regardless of the law they swore to uphold. thus, regardless of my sincere desire to remain in harmony with law enforcement on every level, i will not allow them or anyone to overstep their written boundaries.

you have to hold your ground on these issues. i understand all too well the ‘iowan need to get along’ because this isn’t a big deal to most of us. heck, it isn’t for a guy like me either. but the unintended consequences of us going along to get along, play out like this: you, and i, and five others adhere to some fabrication of prerequisite and just do it since it isn’t hard. then that habit becomes standard practice daily, until they add another little thing they prefer on top, we respond the same way, and the list of local unlawful prerequisites lengthen over time. a generation from now, we’re back where we started before shall issue law change, and worse yet, all the folks over the last ten years of trips to the sheriff’s office now have accepted this unlawful practice as the norm… we have lost our rights in small increments over the course of many years, this is a perfect example of how it happens. sounds small on the front end, but it certainly isn’t….

what are your thoughts on what i’ve written? did i do a fair job of getting my point across to people?

"I thought I trusted the rope until it mattered to me whether it would bear me. Now it matters, and I find I didn't..." - C.S. "Jack" Lewis - A Grief Observed

Participant

I guess my question is, do I have to get a new permit to reflect my new address? Now I’m beginning to think I really don’t have to. I know I had to transfer my DL within like 30 days or something like that, I just figured this was the same.

Participant

Quote by: dirtracer4

I guess my question is, do I have to get a new permit to reflect my new address? Now I’m beginning to think I really don’t have to. I know I had to transfer my DL within like 30 days or something like that, I just figured this was the same.

No, you do not have to update/change anything about your permit until it’s time to renew it. Then you simply renew in your new county.

As a side note, your permit address and DL address do NOT legally have to match for purposes of filling out a 4473 as long as your DL address is correct. However, you may find some dealers (especially the big box stores) may refuse to sell to you because they don’t match. This is a decision you will have to make for yourself. I just moved this summer and because of Polk County’s BS attitude on it, I am not updating mine. If I were to run into a dealer that doesn’t want my business because the addresses don’t match then I will simply find a dealer that knows the law AND wants my money.

Participant

As has been said you are not required to reapply in the new county. There is nothing saying that if you were to go that you would have to bring in a certificate, basically all you would be doing is getting a duplicate permit. Spend the $25 on some ammo don’t worry about it. Some big box stores might baulk at different address but those that know and understand the law won’t.

CCACCA
    Participant

Quote by: dirtracer4

nope.

but here is the problem you’ll run into… you go to buy a weapon and hand over your permit to the dude completing your 4473 form. he sees two different addresses between your driver license and your permit. he freaks, can’t read the back of the form he’s filling out and sends you home empty handed. not saying that is likely, but it does happen and we’ve read stories about that right here on this forum.

what ever floats your boat…

"I thought I trusted the rope until it mattered to me whether it would bear me. Now it matters, and I find I didn't..." - C.S. "Jack" Lewis - A Grief Observed

Participant

I had a thread on my very experience on this.

Polk county wrongly told me I needed a new permit, and had me pay full price and fax my ccw course docs from my previous county. My previous county did it, but swore DPS told them it was not necessary. A call to DPS and ATF confirmed the addresses do not need to match. I called Polk and got my money back after canceling. It took a few weeks, but they did refund it. If I had waited longer, they could not have. I then told them what the DPS said, and they were surprised. I read on this very forum that another guy was given the wrong info AGAIN by Polk.

I should mention that it was the small area dealers that would not sell to me. The big box store Sportsmans Warehouse in Ankeny had no problems. Jack Smith gun sales denied me directly, as did the dealer in Mitchelleville.

Participant

Cheapest way is to do the address change or pay for a one year purchase permit and wait a week, if you have too much trouble buying with two addresses.

Jack Smith gave me a lecture on how bad he thinks the law is and how he is afraid of Alfredo Parish.

Participant

Could you pay for a duplicate such as five dollars and just have your new county keep your expiration date the same and get a new card . I’m curious this seems like it would save you a hassle , in the meantime you still have you cwp from your previous county .

Participant

I believe the cost for address change and new card is $20.

Participant

Cost for a renewal or duplicate is $25, county could charge more for a duplicate hard card.

Participant

I wouldn’t buy a paperclip from Jack Smith
    It seems everyone that owns a firearm is a criminal unless you are in the military or law enforcement
    I can’t understand why he’s even in business of selling firearms

Participant

Jack had several guns stolen from his store several months ago. I don’t understand why he didn’t have them locked up in a safe. I thought that was the law to do so.

He is probably worried one will get used in a crime. I suppose that creates a lot of stress.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.