Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Carp-like fish and eating

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

When I rough fish I have pretty well called all rough fish carp.l, except for maybe suckers. My question is are there any carp like fish such as drum, buffalo, silver carp, or maybe sheepshead that are good table fare? And I don’t mean how some people eat smoked carp or anything. I mean are there any that have actually good meat? If there is, I think I would like to learn how to identify themy and try some for supper one of these nights.

bullhead44bullhead44
    Participant

Ive talked to people love sheephead or what i know as drum.  I believe the key is putting them on ice as soon as you catch them.  They cut the reddish laterl line out and fillet them as usual.  I personally haven’t tried them but id assume they fry them.  A personal tip i use when keeping fish on ice is put ice cream salt in with ice, just a couple sprinkles.  Itll stay like the arctic in there. Good luck let us know how they taste!

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

Of those mention I say go with the Sheepshead.  As stated above then clean and prepare as any other fish to fry.  I like it.  Then next I’d go buffalo as it has less bones than carp.  Don’t forget to get the pearls from behind the ears of  those Drum for good luck.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant

Of those mention I say go with the Sheepshead. As stated above then clean and prepare as any other fish to fry. I like it. Then next I’d go buffalo as it has less bones than carp. Don’t forget to get the pearls from behind the ears of those Drum for good luck.

Umm…What? Pearls?

Participant

Drum are excellent table fare when they are cooked on a gas or charcoal grill.

Participant

So I cleaned a sheepshead tonight. It seems like a drum and a sheepshead are the same thing. Can anybody verify? I caught several but couldn’t bring myself to clean 1 for awhile. I don’t know, stigma I guess. Went ahead and cleaned 1. I’m surprised how clean and white the meat looks. I’ll try cooking it tomorrow. Its too late now. The pearls look interesting but I don’t know what I would do with them.

Participant

Drum/sheepshead are excellent eating.  I prefer 4-5# as they fillet excellent.  The stones are called otoliths.  I’ve seen them used for jewelry.

stick500stick500
    Participant

Drum and sheepshead are the same and are closely related to the saltwater drum that oddly looks just like them.

And I can verify, they do taste great. One more thing to add, there is sometimes a yellow line of fat on the bottom of the fillet you should cut off.

The thing is, sheepshead fillets are actually pretty puny compared to the size of the fish- they are mostly head!

I’ve also heard that the really big ones don’t taste very good, so stick with the medium and small “eaters”.

Participant

They fillet about like a lm bass.  The flesh of  large ones tend to get a bit course.   The diet of the drum is similar to a small bass , small  shell fish, snails ect.  It should be noted that drum are reported to include zebra mussels in their forage.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.