Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Canadian Fishing Trip

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just sent in my deposit for our June trip to Peffley’s Wilderness Camp at Wabaskang Lake, Ontario. This will be my 30th June trip to the same camp. I have been thinking about a August or early September trip to another camp. Any of you Iowa guys recommend a drive to camp up through International Falls. I like recommendations from Iowa fisherman because their style of fishing tends to be closer to mine.

Participant

Do you have any pictures from your trips up north? My family goes to Northern Minnesota every fall but I would like to go to Canada sometime. There are so many places it is hard to choose one just from a website or magazine ad.

Participant

Pickerelcreekcamp Dave and Betty will take very good care of you.

Participant

Go to “Peffley’s Canadian Wilderness Camp” website. It shows the camp and etc. pretty well, I have always went during the first of June which would be the 4th or 5th week of the walleye season. The owners are good people from Indiana “Dave Peffley”. Wabaskang Lake is a medium sized lake but with a lot of arms etc. Even on windy days you can find a good spot out of the wind with good fishing within sight of camp. You drive to the south end of the lake and he picks you up at his dock and takes you 15 miles to camp. He runs a power plant at camp so the cabins have electricity, hot water, inside bathrooms with showers, full kitchens etc I take my son and grandson with me. My wife and daughter in law have been and enjoyed. I do take my boat and use 2 of his, as there are six of us usually going. Let me know if you would like more info and pictures.

Participant

Been to Wabaskang before. Also closest airport to Pickerel Creel Camp. I have to add when going to Pickerel we bring our own boats and fish a different lake every day. He can outfit you to fish lakes close but it is more for the adventure person wanting to explore!

Participant

Quote by: weave

Just sent in my deposit for our June trip to Peffley’s Wilderness Camp at Wabaskang Lake, Ontario. This will be my 30th June trip to the same camp. I have been thinking about a August or early September trip to another camp. Any of you Iowa guys recommend a drive to camp up through International Falls. I like recommendations from Iowa fisherman because their style of fishing tends to be closer to mine.

I have fished close to that area for 20+ years and have had great luck on Cedar Lake for BIG walleye and muskie. Northern Lights resort is where we normally stayed, however we did a lot of fishing on smaller lakes in the area including Aerobus, Finger, Fluke, Ord, Mystery, Evening, Twilight, Cliff, Gerard etc. These are all reachable with smaller boats and a drive. Lately though we have been fishing Lake Wenasaga just outside of Ear Falls in search of the really big walleyes since we have been able to stay with a family friend on the lake.

Late summer is a great time of year to get big fish!!!

Participant

Cedar Lake is one I have been looking at. We go by Cedar on our way to Wabaskang. I looked at Pickerel Creek’s website but can’t figure what lake you would fish? (Lac Seul? The Ear Falls area would be good.

Participant

Quote by: weave

Cedar Lake is one I have been looking at. We go by Cedar on our way to Wabaskang. I looked at Pickerel Creek’s website but can’t figure what lake you would fish? (Lac Seul? The Ear Falls area would be good.

PM if you want any info or tips on Wenasaga lake, Cedar or the lakes surrounding it.

Participant

All the small bush lakes is where it is at!!!! The above mentioned are all excellent. The harder to get to the better. We go opening weekend and take a chainsaw with us. It is a great confidence booster to cut fallen trees out of the way in the creek on way to lake and KNOW you are the first group there since last year. Hardly any fishing pressure at all at those lakes. But as said before….it is not for the lazy.

Participant

have only gone to Canada once but trout river lodge was a blast and am going again this august…sits on a river right off the highway between pakwash and upper bruce lake. has a fly in service on the opposite bank, plenty of dockage within 10 yards of the cabins. friendly and informative owners/staff. lots of people from iowa go up there as well. sitting between 2 lakes there was plenty of options of structure nearby, from the wide lazy river to weedy bays to big deep lake with islands nearby, river mouths, if you want to be secluded there is a small channel through the reeds between upper and lower bruce lake that we only seen one other boat on the 3-4 trips we made that way in the boat. I will put it this way we had a couple of hook ups that were like the scene from jaws “we’re gonna need a bigger net!”

Participant

Been to trout river lodge as well. Went probably 8 times. The group I go with have been there over 30 years. We take 8 guys in 2 vehicle towing a boat each. It cost us around 600 to 650 for everything… license gas bait food lodging etc for a whole week

Participant

I like Rainbow Point Lodge. Its on Perrault Lake which feeds Wabaskang. Also you can boat up the Cedar River and access Cedar Lake. Been going there for quite a few years. Walleye fishing is good on Perrault, had pretty good luck in Cedar as well. They don’t have an American Plan, you cook your own meals except for a camp-wide fish fry on Wednesdays. If you want American Plan you can try Manotak Lodge also on Perrault, but it has changed owners since I stayed there so I can’t speak much on the subject. Was a nice place when I was there (probably 7-8 years ago).

Participant

I concur Rainbow Point Lodge is an excellent place to fish out of on Perrault Lake. Bob and Gail will take good care of you. Also just north of Perrault Lake there is another lake called Florence Lake that has a resort on it too. I can’t remember the name of that resort as I only stayed there once but it was owned by some people from up near Sioux City Iowa.

Participant

Quote by: twdenney

All the small bush lakes is where it is at!!!! The above mentioned are all excellent. The harder to get to the better. We go opening weekend and take a chainsaw with us. It is a great confidence booster to cut fallen trees out of the way in the creek on way to lake and KNOW you are the first group there since last year. Hardly any fishing pressure at all at those lakes. But as said before….it is not for the lazy.

It sounds like fun but I am 78 yrs old, but in good health. I hate to press my luck being in Canada. I do hike 3/4 of a mile through the bush to fish a small catch and release lake.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.