Home Forums Miscellaneous Iowa Outdoors Cookbook — Recipes Camp Cooking With Limited Space

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

If you’re going on a trip for a weekend or a few days and plan to fish and/or hunt, what seasonings or ingredients would you say are essential to bring but are also easily packed into a pack? Looking for stuff that is good on fish, squirrel, duck, etc. What campfire game and fish recipes do you have that don’t take up lots of space in the kayak or boat?

Participant

Hello: How about a frying pan , flour , salt , pepper and some lard. Hard to mess that up. Should be easy to pack. Good Luck . O – R

On.IowaOn.Iowa
    Participant

Quote by: outdoorsron

Hello: How about a frying pan , flour , salt , pepper and some lard. Hard to mess that up. Should be easy to pack. Good Luck . O – R

And a bottle of your favorite hot sauce.

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant

Limited space means no cooler to keep that meat cold like you mentioned. I would look at “just add water” packets of camp food like “Backpacker’s Pantry” products. Some are quite ok and you can easily drop in fish to quick cook in about anything like that towards the end and do not have to mess with lard or oil.

Participant

It really all depends on how limited your limited space is. But if you have room for a small pill bottle sized container or two you can pack it full of butter and pre-season it with your choice of seasoning. Then fold up a large chunk of foil and pack it away. Wrap up your fish, squirrel, etc in the foil with the pre-seasoned butter and toss it in the coals. Easy, takes up very little space, delicious.

On.IowaOn.Iowa
    Participant

Quote by: oldstylelight

Limited space means no cooler to keep that meat cold like you mentioned. I would look at “just add water” packets of camp food like “Backpacker’s Pantry” products. Some are quite ok and you can easily drop in fish to quick cook in about anything like that towards the end and do not have to mess with lard or oil.

I assumed when he said he was fishing and hunting that he’d be sufficiently successful to feed himself.

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

I make a do-all spice from garlic, salt, black pepper, pepper, cayenne, Italian seasoning, and cumin. I keep this in a standard spice container. For a more minimal way, you can put spices in straws and seal the ends with heat.

For oil, I’ll put canola in those 2oz plastic airplane bottles.

For a pot, I use one of those stanley 24oz “pots” and a couple of smaller posts that fit inside it.

For a stove I use a cheap Walmart Ozark Trail that fits inside the pots. I’ve smashed too many nice stoves to care any more although a JETBOIL is on the list of things I “need”.

If I need to cook larger items and need a griddle or grill I’ll carry a small 10″ grill grate and aluminum foil. This can be use to cook over fire or the stove.

I can easily get by with one 8oz can of gas for 6 meals.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

Only thing I would add to the suggetions is for spice with either lemon pepper or one of them squeeze bottles of lemon.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

For seasoning, I take Texas Trail Dust on BWCAW trips. (basically glorified seasoned salt). Also a couple single serve crystal light lemonade packets as a treat from plain water. Also about 3 oz of kitchen oil, useful whether frying or roasting/baking. I agree foil is great, but if I am truly remote where garbage gets packed out, I use washable lightweight aluminum pot/pan whenever possible.

quailslayerquailslayer
    Participant

The camper pantry has everything my kitchen has 😯 If you have room for fresh lemons, peppers, onions, potatoes, garlic salt, lawry’s seasoned salt,pepper and tin foil you can make a meal just add protein.

Participant

These are some good tips. Mainly looking for stuff I could fit in a grocery bag size deal. Maybe a small backpack dedicated to cooking. By “limited space” I just mean not your usual trip where half the truck bed is coolers and bags of food, etc. I’m interested in doing a camp/fish/hunt type thing maybe around September but want to boat or kayak into a spot and do some cooking. My camp cooking skills are OK, just really basic.

Participant

Completely I share your opinion. I think, what is it good idea.

Participant

Thanks for the tips, fellas! I’ll be keeping that in mind.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.