Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Camera security

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So I bought a couple of trailcams today. One of them is a moultrie A-25. They had a couple of metal security boxes for m-series cams, they looked like they would work for the a-series so I bought one as well

It didn’t quite fit. I had to bend the top just a tad and trim a corner of the box to get it to fit. But it fit nicely when I was done.

This made me think. All someone needs is a pair of aviation snips, and cut the case along the locking tab and away goes my new trailcam.

So, here’s my solution.

I made a plate out of 1/8″, drilled a hole and welded it on. Not to say if someone wanted it they’re not gonna get it anyway. But I thought I’d at least make it a little harder for them.

Looking forward to get these things wrapped around a tree!

Who else has some ideas to share to keep your cameras yours?

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

I use the same camera basically, the a-30, with the A-series box.  I use a python cable that goes through towards the top of the box, lid, and camera.  Of course they could use big cable snips, but short of that the camera and case are staying on the tree.

I assume you’re lag bolting the security case to the tree instead of the strap?  I’m strapping mine, thus another reason for the python cable, to keep the goods on the tree.

later,

scruffy

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

I don’t hang my trail cams at eye level or below.  I attach my cams higher up in a tree, preferable 15 feet up, with a slight tip down on an adjustable screw in mount like the one below.

Your average thief doesn’t look up when walking through the woods nor carry a ladder.  I use a set of lone wolf climbing sticks when I go into the woods to check trail cams.

trail cam mount

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Participant

I don’t hang my trail cams at eye level or below. I attach my cams higher up in a tree, preferable 15 feet up, with a slight tip down on an adjustable screw in mount like the one below. Your average thief doesn’t look up when walking through the woods nor carry a ladder. I use a set of lone wolf climbing sticks when I go into the woods to check trail cams.

After having a few cams stole myself I adopted the same practice.  It is a little more work but I have yet to have a cam stole after placing them higher in the tree.  It doesn’t affect the quality of pics at all either.  If the tree allows I also like to tuck them next to branch for added concealment.

fishhookfishhook
    Participant

I do plan on lag bolting it to the tree.

I have also thought about putting them up in the tree. I will probably do that as well.

Participant

I use the same camera basically, the a-30, with the A-series box. I use a python cable that goes through towards the top of the box, lid, and camera. Of course they could use big cable snips, but short of that the camera and case are staying on the tree. I assume you’re lag bolting the security case to the tree instead of the strap? I’m strapping mine, thus another reason for the python cable, to keep the goods on the tree. later, scruffy

I have used Python cable locks for years. . . Until last year. . . I forgot my keys in the truck, when I was going to pull some cameras. Instead of spending 1 hr round trip to go to the truck, I decided to try my knife. I have a spyderco serrated knife, and it cut through the 5/16 python cables like butter. I quit using them after that.

Yes, its a visual aid, if someone sees it, to try to keep them honest, but I never realized just how stinking easy it is to get through them.

Participant

I think they would safer if they were about 10 ft up, most of the time they are mounted to low, makes them easy to get to, jmo

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Avatar Mark C.
    Participant

I have a couple of inexpensive camera that don’t have the threaded port in the bottom. You attach them with bungee cords. Rather difficult to secure these. Any ideas please?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.