Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Calling sequence for yotes?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Latter part of December on. Most all young coyotes will be in transit. As they become nomadic. Some grouping up into loose packs. As they try to find their way, a potential mate & establish their own territory. Some of those loose groups may/will have a lone female among them. As the single males in that group. Seek her attention. Over my yrs. I’ve seen numerous nomadic groups. It is interesting to observe their behaviors among the group.

I seen 4 singles one day last wk. How refreshing.

It’s been a few yrs now. An ex-coworker one early morning. Seen a group of 11 coyotes run by his property. When he happened to look out of the kitchen window. That was near Haverhill Iowa. Which use to hold a good pop of coyotes in the area.

Participant

Latter part of December on. Most all young coyotes will be in transit. As they become nomadic. Some grouping up into loose packs. As they try to find their way, a potential mate & establish their own territory. Some of those loose groups may/will have a lone female among them. As the single males in that group. Seek her attention. Over my yrs. I’ve seen numerous nomadic groups. It is interesting to observe their behaviors among the group.

I seen 4 singles one day last wk. How refreshing.

It’s been a few yrs now. An ex-coworker one early morning. Seen a group of 11 coyotes run by his property. When he happened to look out of the kitchen window. That was near Haverhill Iowa. Which use to hold a good pop of coyotes in the area.

E.V. I have know way of proving this but what I am seeing ( or hearing rather) is in a certain area where Im calling, it seems that several packs are getting closer together. Still separate from each other but squeezing each other in their home turf. Hope Im making sense here. Hearing four different packs in the same area seems pretty tight. I should also mention that this was on a creek bottom on a crisp cold evening which also could make the sounds seem closer than they appear. The packs sound larger than normal from what Im used to hearing but its just in this one area. Any thoughts on this? Thanks..

Participant

Quote by: KeokukCoboy

E.V. I have know way of proving this but what I am seeing ( or hearing rather) is in a certain area where Im calling, it seems that several packs are getting closer together. Still separate from each other but squeezing each other in their home turf. Hope Im making sense here. Hearing four different packs in the same area seems pretty tight. I should also mention that this was on a creek bottom on a crisp cold evening which also could make the sounds seem closer than they appear. The packs sound larger than normal from what Im used to hearing but its just in this one area. Any thoughts on this? Thanks..

Who can say for a fact what is going on, as you state. I’ve expressed myself above. In that right now. There are many nomadic yearlings on the move. Some singular, some in groups.

Participant

Coyotes do trespass. I also believe most know they are trespassing on another’s marked territory. It has been my observations. That trespassing coyotes are very alert & skittish. Not staying on another’s territory for very long. I’ve witnessed that a few times on the open rolling crop hills I’ve hunted for decades.

Some yrs back I came in contact with a farmer who was having his sheep killed. We met & I told him I would do what I could for him. That pr of coyotes the male was very large I suspect in the high 40’s. The female was joe average around 30 lbs or so. I hunted that 1×2 mile section hard all Winter. Seen them a few times on the move but not bedded down. One day they were bedded down. The male was on the 1/2 mile fence line drift. His female below him aways. I stalked in to the last hill before the 1/2 mile. I took aim in a high cross-wind & took a long shot on the male. Missed him. But the female bolted angling me. I dumped her with a neck shot. I wanted that male.

So day after day I hunted that section. Worth noting is. He would occasionally leave that section. But no other area coyote entered that 1×2 mile. Not one all that Winter, did another coyote enter that 1×2 mile section. I found that very interesting. Well my Farmer’s sheep killing came to a stop, once the female coyote died. Yet the male was still in that section. I kept in touch with that farmer…Still no sheep killing.

Next winter rolls in. Again the farmer & I visit about that male coyote. He said, his neighbor guy now has a sheep killer on his property. Well I believe that killer male left his old territory & hooked with with a lone female. Et got her into killing sheep with him aways down the highway…

My above comments, bring up another thing worth mentioning. Like with Red Fox kits. It is the female that does all of the teaching for her young litter. I suspect same goes for coyotes. If/when a mother Red gets killed or dies while the kits are still dependent? The male then resumes her duty. I do not believe, coyotes are any different.

Participant

Who can say for a fact what is going on, as you state. I’ve expressed myself above. In that right now. There are many nomadic yearlings on the move. Some singular, some in groups.
    whiterook
    January 17 2018 08:47PM

Coyotes do trespass. I also believe most know they are trespassing on another’s marked territory. It has been my observations. That trespassing coyotes are very alert & skittish. Not staying on another’s territory for very long. I’ve witnessed that a few times on the open rolling crop hills I’ve hunted for decades.

Some yrs back I came in contact with a farmer who was having his sheep killed. We met & I told him I would do what I could for him. That pr of coyotes the male was very large I suspect in the high 40’s. The female was joe average around 30 lbs or so. I hunted that 1×2 mile section hard all Winter. Seen them a few times on the move but not bedded down. One day they were bedded down. The male was on the 1/2 mile fence line drift. His female below him aways. I stalked in to the last hill before the 1/2 mile. I took aim in a high cross-wind & took a long shot on the male. Missed him. But the female bolted angling me. I dumped her with a neck shot. I wanted that male.

So day after day I hunted that section. Worth noting is. He would occasionally leave that section. But no other area coyote entered that 1×2 mile. Not one all that Winter, did another coyote enter that 1×2 mile section. I found that very interesting. Well my Farmer’s sheep killing came to a stop, once the female coyote died. Yet the male was still in that section. I kept in touch with that farmer…Still no sheep killing.

Next winter rolls in. Again the farmer & I visit about that male coyote. He said, his neighbor guy now has a sheep killer on his property. Well I believe that killer male left his old territory & hooked with with a lone female. Et got her into killing sheep with him aways down the highway…

My above comments, bring up another thing worth mentioning. Like with Red Fox kits. It is the female that does all of the teaching for her young litter. I suspect same goes for coyotes. If/when a mother Red gets killed or dies while the kits are still dependent? The male then resumes her duty. I do not believe, coyotes are any different.

I always thought that when pups were dispersed earlier( like around November) and became nomads they would seek out a partner asap and from there find there own territory. Knowing what Im hearing in the field and reading this,I am highly incorrect. It makes sense for nomads to form a pack within them selves and from there they would pick a mate. If this is the case then I need to change strategies this time of year. Need to find my notebook,havent put anything down in it this year.

Participant

KeokukCoboy,

Everyone takes away what they want from hunting. For many yrs I chose to give the coyotes & the Reds a free pass. To just observe & learn from them. I was a killer when I was a young hunter. I got right too it & did not care about learning from my quarry. Observing many hundreds of them in their natural setting. Has been much more rewarding. Versus, just going in for the kill. By observing, it no doubt has made me a better & more rounded hunter.

Participant

Everyone takes away what they want from hunting. For many yrs I chose to give the coyotes & the Reds a free pass. To just observe & learn from them. I was a killer when I was a young hunter. I got right too it & did not care about learning from my quarry. Observing many hundreds of them in their natural setting. Has been much more rewarding. Versus, just going in for the kill. By observing, it no doubt has made me a better & more rounded hunter

The year I joined I.S. is the year I became a predator hunter. Good or bad , pursuing coyotes is about the only hunting I do anymore. I havent shot a pheasant, quail or a deer since. These were hunts I use to enjoy and that are still there if I wanted to get back into hunting them. In my quest for coyotes I have learned many different ways to make me a better hunter overall. They are a tough animal to outwit day in day out. In Iowa,its even tougher but they can be made to come to a call if the hunter does his homework. I dont mind getting my butt whipped while calling a yote to the stand as long as I learn something from it. By far this has been my best year,its beginning to come together for me. I really love the challenge this sport offers and hope to continue till I can no more. O.P, again I wish you luck this weekend and for the many great hunts ahead of you…success

Participant

This is why I rarely go after dark calling or running hounds at night . I like to see what is going on and action vs reaction.

Participant

Quote by: KeokukCoboy

The year I joined I.S. is the year I became a predator hunter. Good or bad , pursuing coyotes is about the only hunting I do anymore. I havent shot a pheasant, quail or a deer since. These were hunts I use to enjoy and that are still there if I wanted to get back into hunting them. In my quest for coyotes I have learned many different ways to make me a better hunter overall. They are a tough animal to outwit day in day out. In Iowa,its even tougher but they can be made to come to a call if the hunter does his homework. I dont mind getting my butt whipped while calling a yote to the stand as long as I learn something from it. By far this has been my best year,its beginning to come together for me. I really love the challenge this sport offers and hope to continue till I can no more. O.P, again I wish you luck this weekend and for the many great hunts ahead of you…success

Thanks for sharing your experiences and insights. I’ve enjoyed reading them and actually learn something myself. I have been trying to get into predator calling, but have yet to have any luck. I’ll keep trying and hopefully I learn something new each time out.

Participant

Well, I made it out early saturday, just about sunrise. I went into the best spot (I thought) first. I really tried to be quiet, but with the crunchy snow, It was really loud walking in. I waited awhile before trying to call, then called off and on for about 20 minutes. Man, did the crows go crazy. I had them flying all around me. I tried a couple different rabbit distress, then would mute it for a couple minutes at a time. Never saw or heard anything.

I went to another spot over by some CRP for my second set. It wasn’t long after I got comfy and started to call, that I heard someone hooping and hollering really loud on the next property over in the distance. I thought maybe herding cattle or something…I didn’t know. Not long after it was getting closer, then ATV sounds, then I see a guy on an ATV yelling around with a bunch of dogs running around him. Yote hunting I’m assuming. Then he went across the road and ran another property north, right next to another property where I was going to try and go next.

Needless to say, I ended up just scouting a couple of the other new areas and properties I acquired. Day was ruined.

Participant

Well, I made it out early saturday, just about sunrise. I went into the best spot (I thought) first. I really tried to be quiet, but with the crunchy snow, It was really loud walking in. I waited awhile before trying to call, then called off and on for about 20 minutes. Man, did the crows go crazy. I had them flying all around me. I tried a couple different rabbit distress, then would mute it for a couple minutes at a time. Never saw or heard anything.

I went to another spot over by some CRP for my second set. It wasn’t long after I got comfy and started to call, that I heard someone hooping and hollering really loud on the next property over in the distance. I thought maybe herding cattle or something…I didn’t know. Not long after it was getting closer, then ATV sounds, then I see a guy on an ATV yelling around with a bunch of dogs running around him. Yote hunting I’m assuming. Then he went across the road and ran another property north, right next to another property where I was going to try and go next.

Needless to say, I ended up just scouting a couple of the other new areas and properties I acquired. Day was ruined.

That would put a damper in anybody’s day. Good luck…..

Participant

ok, so for calling, what do you guys do during breeding season? it seems pretty early for that to me.

Participant

The last few days for me have been uneventful. I couldn’t get nothing to work. Then I went out this evening just before dark ended up shooting one. He was howled in with an interrogation howl. He was dead before the third howl began. During breeding season I mainly use vocals mixed in with some distress sounds. I’m trying a lot of new sounds, I even used baby pigs distress out by a hog confinement building yesterday but nothing seems to be working. Seems like I can get them to howl back once in awhile but that’s about it On another note how you getting along in this snow? Man that stuff is deep and I am worn out when I get home. Will be getting a lighter rifle next year and putting the Remington VLS in mothballs.

Participant

I haven’t been back out yet. I think I am going to try this weekend again. Not sure what to use for calling. I guess I will try a few different things. Hopefully there won’t be anyone running dogs this time. Maybe I’ll find a shed or 2 to make it worth all the walking. Snow is melting off a bit, so might not be too bad by this weekend.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.