Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting calf killer

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Why is it so hard to believe???? Give me absolute %100 proof of that is what it is? I have been around and worked with my families cattle for 35yrs. and have owned/raised cow/calf pairs even in “timber pasture” and have never had a problem. I am not saying it is not possible but not probable. My grandpa had a problem once with coyotes and lambs. Usually it is someones dog or a wild dog(s). Calves also are born dead and are eaten by scavenger type animals and they also do die and get ate also. They don’t lay for long dead before the cow leaves them and then they are fair game for sure…then the farmer doesn’t find them until they are tore up and ultimately the assumptions fly all the way to COUGAR/MOUNTAIN LION. Also usually a mountain lion only eats what it kills it is not a scavenger.

whiterook
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Yotecallr, it’ll be hit & miss when I have the time to check that area out. I’ve been pretty busy as of late.

twdenney, You know as welll as most everyone reading this post. I can’t say whether the calf was still born or not & feasted upon. I also agree with you [some]farm dogs as well as, feral dogs, can be or are also a potential problem with livestock.

Yrs ago before I was born. My Dad was a ranch hand on a large cattle ranch in California. He told me about how the coyotes would wait until a hefer was in labor delivering her calf. The coyotes would wait until the hefer was on her side mid-labor & the calf was being born. Quickly, the coyotes who were eyeing this event from nearby rolling hills. Would then rush in from different angles. Et commence to pull & bite the newborn calf, as it was being deliverd out from it’s mother.

Whether this incident is a “true” calf killing by a coyote. Is of no real importance to me. What is important to me. Is killing the coyotes in his area.

dogdown
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I doubt that anyone has actually seen first hand a coyote killing a newborn in Iowa. Maybe. Iowa just does’nt have the coyote numbers like the western states. The coyote is the first assumption. Dogs I don’t think would either. Who knows. More probable that an already dead calf was drug off.

gunderron
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I know dogs can kill livestock , I just had 7 ewes killed by dogs last week. Shot one when he came back to eat,no tags but it did have a collar. just waiting now for insurance check .
    Gunderron

DvFirefighter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If it is or is not a coyote problem with the cattle is neither here or there.

The only good coyote is one laying in the back of my truck.

I used to only hunt until the fur was no-longer prime, and then leave them alone until hide season was in full swing again.
    Hides are worth nothing anymore and the numbers have climbed to a very dangerous level. These 4-legged animals are over-running the countryside and they need to be thinned out.

So all I can say is “Lock & Load”

Good Luck EV, sorry I missed your post about getting together for a morning hunt. Would have been a good time. I’ll keep watching for further updates.

Dave

whiterook
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Wasn’t a good day to spot anyway, Dave. No big whoop.

In reference to the title of an “ADC” man. Nope, never professed to be one, ever. Just an old coyote hunter is all. I did spend the morning scanning the hills in the surrounding mile sections. I found a few den sites near the 1/2 mile, as the fog was light in some areas. Obviously, they would take a walk out there to distinguish what type of den holes they were for sure.

Good thing for me personally is. This farmer’s land adjoins some of the land I previously have permission on.

dogdown
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The numbers are not as large in every area like u think, Dave. When the hide is prime, let me know where large numbers are and we will hunt them for u.

Prime_Focus
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Uh…. Dave, I don’t want to start an arguement with you or seem out of line but I think you have your information all wrong. I don’t know where you get it but I would try to get my money back. The real fact is: The only good coyote is one laying in the back of MY truck, not yours. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Go get ’em, Ev!

scruffy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Last Thursday I turkey hunted with a farmer’s son who I called a coyote in for last January and he smacked the January coyote with his dad’s 30-30. So while turkey hunting last week he was looking for another coyote kill (he has the fever). We were setup on a ridge with a field infront of us, 90 yards out the field went from clover to plowed. We had turkeys gobbling all morning to us down the way, but none would move our direction. A coyote came past around 10:30 at the edge of the plowed ground, so 90 yards out, and I called it back to 70, but he wouldn’t come into range of the #4 hevishot turkey load. After listening to me call and squeek for a few minutes the coyote left us, walking up the field and under the fence and into the calving pasture next to the road and farmhouse, checking out the new calves for a couple minutes before the momma’s got him run off. Then he passed by us at 70 yards again on his way out of the area, hitting second gear when he heard a turkey gobble on down the way… They’ll kill anything they can. Some are just more aggressive than others. The next time he stands broadside 70 yards infront of me he’s going to be eating a 55 grain lead pill from the ol’22-250.

later,
    scruffy

DvFirefighter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

So Sorry Tom, I forgot all about your tailgate. I’ll be most happy to deliver them to you.

One of these days we will have to have a meeting and get a good Handshake in order.

I really miss the wintertime fun everone has, if it was not for the crops in the ground I would welcome some good ‘ol white stuff right now.

The numbers are not as large in every area like u think, Dave. When the hide is prime, let me know where large numbers are and we will hunt them for u.

Sorry dogdown, but you really need to open your eyes and look around, there are coyotes everywhere. As for the offer to help hunt them for me…I’ll get them myself I guess.

Might just have to dust off one of the rifles and send a few rounds downrange just for the heck of it.

Feathers
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: dogdown

Dave has a good eye on taking the Yote’s out but fox well that is a diff story.Perfect shot @ 100 Miiss :mrgreen: Sorry Dave couldn’t resist

Feathers

CAO Vision
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Pup down how many critters you inject lead into last year? Sounds like you are a coyote hunting beast to me! Also what area are you hunting in that you have a lack of targets?

whiterook
    Participant
    Up
    Down

As for coyote population. Winter of 1968, we seen out 1st central Iowa coyotes. I believe we seen a few over eight maybe 10 or 12 all Winter. Our sight hounds caught 8 coyotes that yr if I recall correctly. Every Winter after that, their population increased slowly.

Early 70’s the Red Fox started to decline quickly[fur prices rose sharply]. As their fur price shot up. Everyone & their brother became a fox hunter. Coyotes were still increasing, slowly. We changed our main focus on the coyotes, but still would release our hounds on the Reds. Not many yrs later, the Red’s diminished much quicker. So we quit hunting them [circa; mid 80’s] & focused only on the coyotes.

The coyote became much more wary from the pressure. Et were harder to get. But we continued after them.
    Most Winters circa; 80’s. I would spot around 30 coyotes or so a Winter. Those sightings slowly rose over the coming Winters. Reds still continued to decrease.

I started to average spotting around 35-40 coyotes a season. These sightings over all these yrs. I started to identify the same local coyotes over those same or following Winters.

Winter 03-04, I spotted 74 coyotes & 2 hybrid coyotes/[dogotes or coydogs, you pick]. I killed 14 coyotes that Winter spot/stalking with my rifle. I was in a killing mood I reckon :mrgreen:

Following Winters, I spotted roughly 40 coyotes each yr.

Winter’s 06 & 07. I spotted 49 & 50 coyotes respectively over those two Winters. Et a couple of hybrids.

This last Winter 08-09, I spotted 84 coyotes. I also had 14 Red sightings. All of these sightings included, seeing some of the same coyotes & Reds numerous times during that season. From Fall until spring.

Since Winter 03-04. I have backed way off, on killing coyotes. Not because I couldn’t. But mainly because as I’ve grown older. I just enjoyed seeing, watching them hunt & taking their pictures.

nickcurrie
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Wow, Didn’t realize there was a bunch of fragile egos around here? Sorry!

Experience has nothing to do with this post.

Knowledge of the situation and of your quarry does matter. I’m all for killing spring coyotes though! Just wish there was a monetary incentive to do so.

Go Get Those Dead Calf Dragger Offers!!! 😀

CAO Vision
    Participant
    Up
    Down

yeah nick I have been looking for monetary incentive to kill deer and pheasants too but man there just so fun to hunt/shoot I just dont need those bills to shoot em!

whiterook
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Knowledge of the situation and of your quarry does matter. I’m all for killing spring coyotes though! Just wish there was a monetary incentive to do so.

Really now?

What coyote experience do YOU have 1st hand nick? “Field experience” not something you’ve read on the Internet. You 24 yrs old yet nick? How many yrs of experience do you have on coyotes? How many coyotes have you watched in the wild?

BTW, nick…Experience is knowledge. DUH! 🙄
    You want to preach to me what is what, that is laughable. I suggest you read more of coyotes on the internet & gain many yrs of 1st hand experiences. Then I might listen to your opinions, based on YOUR experiences. When talking about coyotes.

nitro
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: whiterook

Really now?

What coyote experience do YOU have 1st hand nick? “Field experience” not something you’ve read on the Internet. You 24 yrs old yet nick? How many yrs of experience do you have on coyotes? How many coyotes have you watched in the wild?

BTW, nick…Experience is knowledge. DUH! 🙄
    You want to preach to me what is what, that is laughable. I suggest you read more of coyotes on the internet & gain many yrs of 1st hand experiences. Then I might listen to your opinions, based on YOUR experiences. When talking about coyotes.

You two are entertainig. In fact, it’s the only reason open this thread. I’m starting to think you don’t like each other. :mrgreen: I am curious though, and without hijacking the thread, I was wondering if you could let the rest of the world, or at least me, in on your little riff? After all misery loves company.

I don’t mean any dis-respect to either of you.

whiterook
    Participant
    Up
    Down

old coyote vs yearling, Nitro. Yes it is amusing 😆

just fell off the turnip truck-dogs

whiterook
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I like this line…

Good ADC men in the West can determine how the calf was killed.

This info come from reading or personal experience?

Regardless, it leads me to believe[if I believed it in it’s totality in the 1st place]. That no doubt a good ADC man/woman/whatever, could always tell. What killed a calf. I find that abit hard to believe. Unless, they were present or there were witness’s to the calf’s death. Or enough physical evidence left at the scene of the calf’s death. Even w/o a witness. You reckon even an experienced ADC person could ALWAYS tell. Thats a far reach, IMO.

nickcurrie
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I couldnt careless if you read or listen to my posts or not, really means no difference to me at all.

I haven’t once told you or anyone else what to do. Are all members on Iowa Outdoors Forums allowed to give their opinion or perspective or not? It doesn’t make a difference or not Whiterook, [Edit] Still wondering where driving around spotting coyotes experience has contributed to the success or lack there, of this, how you put it. “Calf Killer”

My whole point of my first post was to not assume something you can’t prove.

I mean, the title of this thread is “calf killer”, when there is zero proof a coyote or a dog even killed the calf.

I know these internet forums are full of idiots who do a lot of talking, and what surprises me more are all the coyote enthusiasts out there have very little or mythical knowledge of a coyote. And then to claim such as fact.

And Now, according to whiterook, a person needs experience to bring up a different perspective, actually a perspective that is common to ADC coyote complaints.

I have no doubt, I will get flamed for this post by Whiterooks Cheerleaders who a few pages ago were on the sidelines screaming the likes of “Go Get The Big Bad Coyote!!”!! LOL

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.