Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting calf killer

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Spoke with a guy yesterday. He told me “something” killed & drug a new born calf on his Father In-Laws farm. Calf was drug under a spread in a fence wire. All that was left was the rump & head. Got ahold of him. He wants to show me around his farmland soon. I told him, I would do what I could for him. I suspect a pr of nearby coyotes rearing pups. We’ll see what the future holds.

have fatgirl will travel-dogs

nitromag57
    Participant
    Up
    Down

get em rook! seek and destroy!

Rooster
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Give em hell Ev ❗

IowaDuckHunter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

2 dogs go get them!

IowaDuckHunter

whiterook
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Went & met with the farmer abit ago. He shown me all of his land he farms on a platt book. Calf was a newborn[maybe a couple days old, farmer wasn’t sure when it dropped?]. Couldn’t tell exactly what killed it, I still suspect coyotes. As there was some femur breaking & marrow eaten. Wasn’t much left of the carcass. Apparently whatever killed it came up in the farmyard by the barn after it initially feasted on it in the pasture edge. Et feasted on it some more 👿 . Stripped the hide & ears off of the head. Et left all the legs, spine & some entrals intact.

Farmer told me he has a few more calves yet to drop. I told him, if he gets another kill. To try & save the carcass ASAP, to identify the killer & I’ll call by it in the late pm. I hunted this same area some 30yrs ago. killed some coyotes, then the pop went way down. So I focused back on W. Main St, over towards State Center way. In the meanwhile, I plan to keep spotting the area now & then when I have some free time. Coyotes had best stay wary of the grey dodge :mrgreen:

Hey Rooster long time, thought you joined the Foreign Legion or something 😯

too old to join-dogs

Feathers
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Get After them Ev. Like what they say it ain’t over till the the FatGirl Zing’s :mrgreen:

Feathers

Prime_Focus
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Good luck, Ev. You’ll make a friend forever if you nail this one. That guy will give you the keys to the farm. 😀 Sic ’em!

whiterook
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The pr I watched last January dig that deep hole along a high hill fenceline. Were in the section just West a mile from the farmer’s section. I gave them a pass that day, saving them for my wingman. Looking back on it, I should’ve killed them, when I had the chance 😐

twdenney
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I don’t buy it. It could be but I would check the neighbors dog first! I have a large cow/calf herd and have had these problems before.

whiterook
    Participant
    Up
    Down

twdenney, I did discuss that scenario with this farmer. No other dogs in the immediate area, other than his male border collie. Which is outside during the day & kept inside at night.

Popwood
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Go-Get-Um Dogs

Sounds right down your alley. Make sure fatgirl is hungry, and go make some friends.

How many more shifts?

Popwood -back from Tayksys

nickcurrie
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The farmer said he didn’t know how old it was, but that it was a newborn?

For all we know the calf was born dead or died on it’s own, then a coyote or dog comes by and drags it off, and they get blamed for killing it! When really it was just carrion to them, like a roadkill deer.

But then again it’s fun to think or assume that your calling or sniper skills are needed, for some big bad coyote that’s assumed to have killed a calf.

Good ADC men in the West can determine how the calf was killed.

If it’s a repeat offender, more than likely there is a coyote den real close to this calving pen. As the pups are whelped and papa & momma coyote arn’t going to go very far from home.

whiterook
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hey Popwood, not long now LOL! I’m so short I can jump off of a quarter. B)

I didn’t know this incident involved you nick. How many yrs hunting of coyote now do you have? A couple? 🙄 BTW, I didn’t gain my experience from reading on the NET. I put in many yrs, like 41. Hows about you? You can repeat what other’s have gained/experienced over their yrs. Doesn’t cut any ice with me. Come back after hunting coyote for 41yrs. Then, maybe I’ll listen to your OWN experiences & opinion. Move on, before you get in over your head.

jrocker
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I also have a farmer friend who has lost a couple of calves to coyotes. I dont really see why it is so hard to believe.

Go get em!

dogdown
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Always the coyote.

DvFirefighter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Got coyotes…. Got Ammo…..No Problem

Go Get ‘Em EV, and with all the rain I am not doing much, maybe I’ll have to drive over your way and lend a hand.

Short-Timer.

whiterook
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Dave, I’ll be out there spotting tomarrow. If your interested & want to swing by, let me know.

tgk
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Any luck spotting those calf killers? Lets see some fur 😆 Pictures are always good too.

whiterook
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Moderate fog/mist this am, visibility was arouind 3/8 mile. The area is all rolling cropland, with virtually no cover.

Yotecallr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hey Ev, wingman here, I’m off Fridays and Saturdays still. Let me know if you need a crack shot for this mission. :mrgreen:

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.