Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting bummed

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Tuesday evening I hit a pretty good buck almost dead center body. I looked for about 20 yds and didnt find blood so I backed out, it was getting too dark and wsnt sure of the exact spot of hit. Went out Wednesday morning and trailed but only found spotty blood and the arrow had bright blood and bubbles on one vane. Went back in late afternoon and bumped the buck but he didnt know where or what I was, at least he didnt look my way when he jumped up and ran off and stopped to look around. He moved good but didnt go that far so I think he ws feeling it and going down hill. I could see the blood on his side dead center body and about 3 inches above middle. I thought I’d skip thursday and look friday since I dont want to bump him out of this 20 acres and he was still moving easily, he’s tough and needs time. It should have been a fatal hit. The big ones are tough.

Then I just remembered this is the Thanksgiving doe season and people could have gone in and bumped him or found him. I’m really bummed.

Participant

Season doesnt open till tomorrow so they shouldnt have bumped him out.

Participant

i would say that if you waited over night and bumped him the next day he will survive might be a little sore for a while. If it was a lethal shot he shouldn’t of got up. thats from my experience.

Participant

From the sounds of it it sounds like you might have hit 1 lung (double lung he’d be dead already) your chances are pretty good at finding him….. I would start by looking by water sources because usually when they are feeling kinda sickly they head towards water be it a creek or pond….Just remember if you head in tomorrow wear PLENTY of orange….. Good Luck!

Participant

theres a creek thru the middle of the property, he w sanear it. I wont be able to get out until tomorrow afternoon.

Participant

Well did you find it?

Participant

Nope, I know have 8 hours looking for it. No sign. The property has a couple creeks and ditches thru it eiyh multifglora rose next to it, and I looked at those, and the thick stuff. All I have left is a couple ponds a quarter mile away and some switch grass which where it will be nearly impossible to find anything.

Participant

Don’t give up yet. I shot one on the 10th, 1 lung and tiny blood spots. Looked 4 days to no avail. On the 19th I killed him and my previous arrow was still in him. He was getting around fine but would have died this winter I think. If you don’t find him, glass food sources and stuff cause he could still be alive. Maybe put a trail camera up and if you don’t get any pics of him after a while look some more. They can live a while on 1 lung, mine lived 9 days and would have been more but I made a good shot the 2nd time 😆 Good luck!

Participant

My guess is he’s alive and probably will be for a while.

Another good thread where a tracking dog would be beneficial. 😉

Participant

We actually had a dog looking for mine but you can’t find what is not dead. It is impossible to say, but I lost hope on mine and ended up getting a 2nd chance. Don’t lose hope yet!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.