Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Bullheads

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

A while back someone asked where he could get some bullheads. I took my father out today to get some. We started at Spirit and they were biting good enough but they were twice as big as we like them. Seriously they had to be 15″ or bigger. Stopped at little Spirit and they were a better size but slow biters. I live in Algona so we stopped at Silver lake by Ayrshire on the way home and that is where we found what we were looking for. kept 30 in about 45 minutes and they were perfect size and nice and clean.

Participant
    Up
    Down

The 8″ – size are great for smoking.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Ate some bullheads the other night. Delicious. Over looked fish IMO.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Why were the 15″ too big?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Wish I could find some around DSM!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: LoewDog

Wish I could find some around DSM!

x2!!! Those 15 inchers might have a muddier taste but bet they were fun to catch!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: medicdano

Why were the 15″ too big?

Personal preference I guess. I skin my bullheads as opposed to filleting them. The smaller ones are easier for me to cook evenly.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Started filleting those 15″s last couple of years, cook up great. Spirit has some huge ones and you need some tough hooks that won’t break off when your removing them repeatedly. Learned to fish on IGLs bullheads on summer vacations.
    Bullhead taste like bullhead and I like them a couple of times a year.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have never eaten bullheads, so I’m curious how good they are. Are they fishy tasting? What are the preferred methods of cleaning and cooking them?

WidowmakerWidowmaker
    Participant
    Up
    Down

When I was a kid in the early-mid 80’s, I’d go to Silver Lake by Ayrshire with my grandparents, and we’d catch bullheads by the 5 gallon bucketful. We would skin and gut them, then fry them. They are fishy tasting, yes, but they’re not the worst thing I’ve ever eaten. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve discovered that I much prefer the taste of walleye or panfish to bullheads, but I do look back on those days fishing on the shore with my grandpa very fondly.

bluedirtbluedirt
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Grandpa & an uncle often took me along bullhead fishing to Round Lake, Mn or Silver Lake. Quit when we had 100. Head home to clean them, grandma fried them & served with homemade bread. As I recall, we would have tiger meat sammich for lunch in the boat(raw hamburger w/slice of onion topping). Great days. Still enjoy a spring bullhead feed. And the girls certainly enjoy catching them

Participant
    Up
    Down

Bigger bullheads fillets work best. When done, sprinkle a little salt and soak in cold water for half an hour, rinse well. Catfish flesh is blood rich by nature. The blood os the musty or muddy taste.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: thulbox

A while back someone asked where he could get some bullheads. I took my father out today to get some. We started at Spirit and they were biting good enough but they were twice as big as we like them. Seriously they had to be 15″ or bigger. Stopped at little Spirit and they were a better size but slow biters. I live in Algona so we stopped at Silver lake by Ayrshire on the way home and that is where we found what we were looking for. kept 30 in about 45 minutes and they were perfect size and nice and clean.

Just wonder what bait you where using on Spirit and general fishing method. 15″ bullhead would meet the length required for Master Angler and would be one step closer to the Silver version which i’m working to this year.

Thanks

Participant
    Up
    Down

I use a jig as opposed to a hook and sinker because bullheads will not swallow a jig like they do a plain hook. Thread it with a crawler and your in business. The tube that goes under the grade is where we caught the biggest ones. There were also some big ones in the tube from Little Spirit to Big Spirit.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I don’t have alot of faith in chumming for the other catfish species, but I’ve found chumming works for bullheads. Gets some fresh shad, grind up half of it and toss it in the water. Than fill up a 4/0 octopus hook using the left over shad. Atleast that what I do if I’m looking for big bullheads in water that is choked with smaller bullhead. Don’t have to worry about little ones getting hooked.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.