Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Buck down tonight.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Found out one down side to blind hunting tonight, especially after sunset. Decreased area of visibility.

This guy came out of no where from the left just after sunset. Picked up the bow, adjusted my glasses and thought this was an 8 pointer I’ve seen before that I had let pass out of the stand last week. Decided in that few seconds he was “good enough” (maybe 130’s) so I put the 20 yard pin on the spot I figured for a heart shot since he was ever so slightly quartering away and standing slightly down hill and just about exactly 20 yards away. I was shooting slightly down hill towards him. Let the arrow fly and I saw the arrow with the lighted knock bury deep in him, but didn’t pass through. He did a 180 and went back up into the heart of our little timber and I watched him get wobbly and circle and fall after less than 50 yards. Arrow fell/worked out on his way back up the hill.

Post mortem field dress confirmed it was a great heart shot that stopped just under his rib cage on the other side. Center punched a rib on the way in. Here is the pic I took as he was when I walked up on him. For the tag police… the tag was in my pocket, I just wanted to get a pic before it got too dark. He’s NOT the 8 pointer I thought he was. 😳 He’s smaller. 🙁 A deer I’ve never seen before tonight. His right side is broken off right in front of his G3 and I didn’t even notice it since it was on the left side and starting to get dark. Probably missing several inches. Oh well. Meat in the freezer and tag filled. I’ll be a LOT pickier during late muzzle loader I guess. 😉

Participant

Congrats. Great story. I had 3 bucks come by me tonight all smaller than that. I got the market cornered on small ones, but in a couple weeks, 1 will get shot.

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

Quote by: Ihuntcurs

Congrats. Great story. I had 3 bucks come by me tonight all smaller than that. I got the market cornered on small ones, but in a couple weeks, 1 will get shot.

I really thought this was the 8 pointer I’ve seen a couple times when I shot it. Was a little disappointed it wasn’t, but ANY deer with a bow is a trophy IMO. :mrgreen:

Participant

Good buck nothing to be ashamed of. Anything with a bow is a theophy I just a 130 8 that I swore was bigger. Nice 3.5 year old but probably should have waited. Happenes to the best of us. Good job

Participant

I’m a meat hunter, so what ever has the biggest body gets shot. Usually that’s a mature buck, great, but would not hesitate on a monster doe.

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant

Awesome, congrats. I live vicariously through these posts. Bow hunting is my 2nd favorite hunting, but I was in the duck blind today, my favorite hunting…

Participant

Good job!

Participant

Nice deer. Like you said, meat in the freezer. 😀

jimneyjimney
    Participant

Nice job!

Participant

Nice work! Even if it isn’t quite what you were hoping for it definitely beats tag soup!

Participant

Hey.. darkness can play tricks on ones soul.Congrats to you and thanks for the pics

Participant

You might be slightly disappointed but he sure looks like a heck of a nice deer to me. Congratulations.

Participant

I had the opposite happen on Thursday. We had seen this buck a week early. I had my 12 year old in the stand with me. It didn’t come in but he asked if I would shoot it and I said probably not.

Well on Thursday I was out. I have a doe come in and I miss her at 20 yards, not sure how that happens. Anyway I was drawn and ready to shoot her again when I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. I was able to grunt him in and shoot him at 14 yards. I knew he was good but wasn’t really all that sure. I think I shot him as much because I was pissed about missing the doe. I had no idea he had such good brow times.

I was pretty happy when I walked up to him. He was bigger than I expected.

Participant

Original poster, congratulations, most of us have been there before. Like you said, any buck with a bow is something to have some pride in.

Last poster, WOW! I would like to see some other angles of that big boy. Congratulations!

Participant

Quote by: maxx

I had the opposite happen on Thursday. We had seen this buck a week early. I had my 12 year old in the stand with me. It didn’t come in but he asked if I would shoot it and I said probably not.

Well on Thursday I was out. I have a doe come in and I miss her at 20 yards, not sure how that happens. Anyway I was drawn and ready to shoot her again when I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. I was able to grunt him in and shoot him at 14 yards. I knew he was good but wasn’t really all that sure. I think I shot him as much because I was pissed about missing the doe. I had no idea he had such good brow times.

I was pretty happy when I walked up to him. He was bigger than I expected.

Good thing you missed!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.