Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing Brainerd Ice Fishing Extravaganza

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m thinking about doing this tournament this winter and have a question.

So watch one of the videos, it looks like long lines for weighing in your fishing?!? doesn’t it move pretty fast or do you spend half your time waiting in line? the time for fishing is only from 12pm to 3pm so that doesn’t leave much time.

Participant

First, you have to catch a fish 😛 😛 sounds easy. not so much, last year was irregular, lots of fish & I even caught one, first one in the 4 years I’ve gone. The line moved fast last year even with all the fish caught. We do it for fun, if we catch a fish great, if not, well there’s always next year—all luck there anyway, can you imagine what the fish see & thinks when there is a loud cannon boom & 10,000 lines fall in the water????? Buddy of mine won a 4 wheeler with a perch that weighed around 4oz. 4 years ago & I didn’t even place last year with .86 lbs. We usually go up a few days early & fish before the Extravaganza — I’d describe it kinda like RAGBRAI is to a biker , this is to a Fisherman. I will say though—-I can hardly wait 😀 😀 😀 😀

Participant

So sparkie, I was reading the rules and it says that you can only have only one fish on the board and its your largest fish… Its not like a grand total or multiple fish. So if I understand this correctly, lets say you caught a 2lbs walleye and you weighed/recorded it, then you caught a 3lbs walleye later. they drop the 2lber and put you on the board with the 3lber. So you Can’t have both on the board or have a grand total of 5lbs. is that correct?

Also it looks like the largest fish wins 1st place and it doesn’t matter what kind of fish it is. Correct? so couldn’t I just drop down some corn on a hook and catch a 5lb carp and win the thing? 😆 JK just being silly. But seriously it doesn’t matter on the type of fish?

Yes granted I catch a fish first 😆 That’s crazy your buddy won with a 4 oz perch. that’s awesome!

Participant

The type of fish doesnt matter. It is quite the site to behold. The year I went with Sandman there were 50 mph winds and garbage cans were zooming across the ice taking out drunks stumbling to the shore. I sold a frozen solid beer to a guy for $2 walking off the ice…he said he didnt care if it was “cold”

Participant

Few questions for those of you that have gone.

Where does everyone park their vehicles and when can you actually go out and claim your spot?
    How deep are people fishing? I thought I read somewhere that some fish come up with their swim badder popping out their throats (that has to be really deep water)!
    You Can Not use a ice shanty, correct?

Thanks

Participant

Quote by: 1luckyguy

Where does everyone park their vehicles and when can you actually go out and claim your spot?
    How deep are people fishing? I thought I read somewhere that some fish come up with their swim badder popping out their throats (that has to be really deep water)!

Thanks

I think we paid $20 and parked at a lumber yard (?) across from where the entrance gate was. As we left, there were huge lines of people waiting to get on the shuttle buses, it looked like a HUGE hassle. We were in like 60 ft of water, we didnt catch anything that year, but that group has since learned what and where to go better than the first year.
    No shelters.

Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Quote by: 1luckyguy

Thanks

I think we paid $20 and parked at a lumber yard (?) across from where the entrance gate was. As we left, there were huge lines of people waiting to get on the shuttle buses, it looked like a HUGE hassle. We were in like 60 ft of water, we didnt catch anything that year, but that group has since learned what and where to go better than the first year.
    No shelters.

Thanks

Participant

We are leaving from Alta, Iowa at 6am Thursday the 26th and coming home on Sunday the 29th. We are taking 12 guys, 3 vehicles and an enclosed trailer for the gear. I believe this will be our 7th year in a row going. We used to rent motel rooms but we now rent a huge cabin that sleeps 15 right on a lake north of the tourney site. They said there wasn’t mush fishing going on that lake (Lower Cullen), but we went out in 40 foot and absolutely slaughtered the slab crappies and had a huge fish fry! Sparkie said it best…its like Ragbrai on ice. All kinds of vendors on the ice with street signs and 20,000 pre-drilled the night before. The first year we didn’t catch fish but since then we have figured out where to catch at least small fish and we all get on the leaderboard at least once before our names drop off. look forward to seeing you up there again Sparkie!

Participant
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.